This current team reminds me of the 1999 squad

Nebraska's SOOOOOOO good, the only other one loss team they're ranked ahead of? Wait fer it...LULZZZZZZZ DOOOOOOOKKK!!!

Bwahahahaha!!!

They also have a couple 2 loss teams ahead of them. But they're world beaters.

Duke is SO good, they've got eight 2 loss teams ahead of them, as well as all the other 1 loss teams. But it's a signature win.

Advertisement
The 2004 team reminds me of the 99 team

Basically every 3 loss team ever reminds me of the 99 team.

The good teams Butch beat in '99 were...

tumblr_inline_mt0ug64jlE1qz4rgp.gif

We only had one Big East loss that year to #2 VaTech. Beat #9 Ohio State and #17 GaTech. Lost to #1 FSU by only 10 and lost to #3 Penn State by only 3. How does that compare to double digit losses to Louisville, GaTech and Nebraska? We also finished the season #15, 9-4 with a BRUTAL schedule.

Ohio State finished 6-6 and the coach ended up getting fired. That wasn't a good football team.

VaTech was the ONLY good team in the Big East. Everybody else was scrubby as ****. West Virginia, Pitt, Rutgers, and Temple went a combined 11-32.

Georgia Tech was the bowl game and we haven't played FSU yet, but ain't nobody around here interested in a close loss to them.

If anybody was beating up on pansies, it was Butch Davis in the year 1999.

Not to mention the fact that he lost to East Carolina.

Whether y'all want to acknowledge them or not, Duke is a good football program and their ONLY loss on the season thus far, is to Miami.

Duke is the lowest ranked 1 loss team. There are 8 two loss teams ranked ahead of them. They were a shanked 20 yd field goal from losing to Pitt. No, they are not a good foosball team.

The '99 team played GOOD teams tough, except for the *** beating VaTech put on us.

And beat none of them. They also lost to East Carolina.

Nebraska ain't a good football team? They're 8-1 on the season and don't start talking about their schedule either, because if I recall Georgia Tech hadn't played anybody in '99, but you're quick to label them a good team.

Did you NOT just see the Louisville team that played Florida State? That's one of the best defenses in the country.
Here's Jen's response to someone touting how great a team we faced in Louisville to open the season. Lulzzz. A girl gets it yet you do not.

You mean the same Louisville that was in their very first game with a new coach, new offensive coordinator, new defensive coordinator, entirely new schemes to learn, a new QB, and without their best WR and their best RB?

The O Line look more like the 1994 team with such standouts as Omar Andres, Kerlin Blaise, Freeman Brown, every mans favorite J Ina, KC Jones, Ricky Perry, Alan Synonnette, Mike Wehner and Robert Woodus

You forgot Carlos Callejas

Advertisement
This current team reminds me of the 1999 squad, which is actually a good thing and interesting.

Let's start with coaches.

Butch Davis was in his 5th year and I think a year removed from the NCAA sanctions. That year when we lost a close game to Penn State, I remember listening to WQAM the next morning and fans were saying they "had it with Cokers horrendous play calling", and "Butch Davis is not a GAME DAY coach and he needs to be shown the door". Do you guys remember the infamous Chafie Fields play over Mike Rumph? I believe Miami was in Man Coverage when they should've been in Prevent Defense as the game was basically won. Butch Davis was scolded for that and guess who was the D Coordinator as well? Schiano. Do you guys also remember the horrendous play calling the next game against East Carolina, a team that did not practice for a whole week due to a Hurricane that hit that town? Miami started out fast and then got shut down and made a plethora of mistakes in the second half and East Carolina came back and snatched victory from the Canes. Once again, I tuned into WQAM, and fans called in sounding like they had pitch forks looking for Butch Davis and the rest of his staff. The team also went on to lose it's 3rd straight game that season against FSU. Seemed tragic, didn't it. Did I mention who our offensive coordinator was?

Player Personnel/Perception/Trajectory

Similar in many ways. Truth be told, nationally, and even our own fans didn't even know how stacked we were. I remember we had Kenny Kelly at QB with Ken Dorsey as backup. We had James Jackson in the backfield with Clinton Portis. We had a fleet of WR's like we do now and a mediocre O Line. We were actually stacked on defense with the likes of Dan Morgan, Nate Webster, Damione Lewis, Ed Reed etc. Our defensive talent and depth now is very similar to that team. We were listed as nationally irrelevant by most of the media as we are perceived that way now, but just 1 year later, in 2000, everybody was back on Miami's jock.

Bottom Line

I know I'm going to get negged, but the knee jerk reaction from last nights game has been real crazy. I already understand how fickle this fan base is and how quick the "off with his head" sirens go off when we lose a game. I will say this, this staff as well as these players have gone and are still going through the rigors, the same way that 1999 squad did, full of coaching errors and bone headed mistakes by players that cost games. I'm not apologizing for this current staff, but I do think because they have gone through the rigors, that is what will bring about greatness. Miami was full of talent in 1999 with your favorite coach Butch Davis and still managed to make fans (a lot of you same people on this board, and don't lie) sick to their stomachs with the losses they had, and it will be no different this year. I really believe Miami is on the brink of having an elite program. I predict that Miami will have another 9-4 season. I also believe that the 2015 season will be the season Miami wins the coastal and make a playoff appearance.

This kids on here dont remember that...

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

The '99 squad would massacre this team.
And how does your comparison of a game we nearly won vs a top 5 PSU team in '99 have any relevance to the Curb stomping by a mediocre Louisville team we received last night????

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

Advertisement
They still lost to Louisville, Nebraska, and Georgia Tech. They can beat the cupcakes. Yay!

The good teams Butch beat in '99 were...

tumblr_inline_mt0ug64jlE1qz4rgp.gif

We only had one Big East loss that year to #2 VaTech. Beat #9 Ohio State and #17 GaTech. Lost to #1 FSU by only 10 and lost to #3 Penn State by only 3. How does that compare to double digit losses to Louisville, GaTech and Nebraska? We also finished the season #15, 9-4 with a BRUTAL schedule.

Ohio State finished 6-6 and the coach ended up getting fired. That wasn't a good football team.

VaTech was the ONLY good team in the Big East. Everybody else was scrubby as ****. West Virginia, Pitt, Rutgers, and Temple went a combined 11-32.

Georgia Tech was the bowl game and we haven't played FSU yet, but ain't nobody around here interested in a close loss to them.

If anybody was beating up on pansies, it was Butch Davis in the year 1999.

Not to mention the fact that he lost to East Carolina.

Whether y'all want to acknowledge them or not, Duke is a good football program and their ONLY loss on the season thus far, is to Miami.

Tell us more about the '99 team jerzey.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The excuses & stories are getting old. They have talent, the players aren't playing & the coaching is a disaster @ best

Advertisement
Back