This current team reminds me of the 1999 squad

Ayeplus

Freshman
This current team reminds me of the 1999 squad, which is actually a good thing and interesting.

Let's start with coaches.

Butch Davis was in his 5th year and I think a year removed from the NCAA sanctions. That year when we lost a close game to Penn State, I remember listening to WQAM the next morning and fans were saying they "had it with Cokers horrendous play calling", and "Butch Davis is not a GAME DAY coach and he needs to be shown the door". Do you guys remember the infamous Chafie Fields play over Mike Rumph? I believe Miami was in Man Coverage when they should've been in Prevent Defense as the game was basically won. Butch Davis was scolded for that and guess who was the D Coordinator as well? Schiano. Do you guys also remember the horrendous play calling the next game against East Carolina, a team that did not practice for a whole week due to a Hurricane that hit that town? Miami started out fast and then got shut down and made a plethora of mistakes in the second half and East Carolina came back and snatched victory from the Canes. Once again, I tuned into WQAM, and fans called in sounding like they had pitch forks looking for Butch Davis and the rest of his staff. The team also went on to lose it's 3rd straight game that season against FSU. Seemed tragic, didn't it. Did I mention who our offensive coordinator was?

Player Personnel/Perception/Trajectory

Similar in many ways. Truth be told, nationally, and even our own fans didn't even know how stacked we were. I remember we had Kenny Kelly at QB with Ken Dorsey as backup. We had James Jackson in the backfield with Clinton Portis. We had a fleet of WR's like we do now and a mediocre O Line. We were actually stacked on defense with the likes of Dan Morgan, Nate Webster, Damione Lewis, Ed Reed etc. Our defensive talent and depth now is very similar to that team. We were listed as nationally irrelevant by most of the media as we are perceived that way now, but just 1 year later, in 2000, everybody was back on Miami's jock.

Bottom Line

I know I'm going to get negged, but the knee jerk reaction from last nights game has been real crazy. I already understand how fickle this fan base is and how quick the "off with his head" sirens go off when we lose a game. I will say this, this staff as well as these players have gone and are still going through the rigors, the same way that 1999 squad did, full of coaching errors and bone headed mistakes by players that cost games. I'm not apologizing for this current staff, but I do think because they have gone through the rigors, that is what will bring about greatness. Miami was full of talent in 1999 with your favorite coach Butch Davis and still managed to make fans (a lot of you same people on this board, and don't lie) sick to their stomachs with the losses they had, and it will be no different this year. I really believe Miami is on the brink of having an elite program. I predict that Miami will have another 9-4 season. I also believe that the 2015 season will be the season Miami wins the coastal and make a playoff appearance.

Advertisement
Stop.

We've been making comparisons to 99 the last couple years.

Sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel is just a train.

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

8FxEa.gif
8FxEa.gif

The '99 squad would massacre this team.
And how does your comparison of a game we nearly won vs a top 5 PSU team in '99 have any relevance to the Curb stomping by a mediocre Louisville team we received last night????

Advertisement
You make valid points dude but Golden and staff have shown ZERO. The first red flag was that kansas state game. He is not a good coach and we will never win under him. The team has also taken his personality and are now soft as ****. Last night was the last straw for me. Our program is still a joke and the time has come for a change.

This current team reminds me of the 1999 squad, which is actually a good thing and interesting.

Let's start with coaches.

Butch Davis was in his 5th year and I think a year removed from the NCAA sanctions. That year when we lost a close game to Penn State, I remember listening to WQAM the next morning and fans were saying they "had it with Cokers horrendous play calling", and "Butch Davis is not a GAME DAY coach and he needs to be shown the door". Do you guys remember the infamous Chafie Fields play over Mike Rumph? I believe Miami was in Man Coverage when they should've been in Prevent Defense as the game was basically won. Butch Davis was scolded for that and guess who was the D Coordinator as well? Schiano. Do you guys also remember the horrendous play calling the next game against East Carolina, a team that did not practice for a whole week due to a Hurricane that hit that town? Miami started out fast and then got shut down and made a plethora of mistakes in the second half and East Carolina came back and snatched victory from the Canes. Once again, I tuned into WQAM, and fans called in sounding like they had pitch forks looking for Butch Davis and the rest of his staff. The team also went on to lose it's 3rd straight game that season against FSU. Seemed tragic, didn't it. Did I mention who our offensive coordinator was?

Player Personnel/Perception/Trajectory

Similar in many ways. Truth be told, nationally, and even our own fans didn't even know how stacked we were. I remember we had Kenny Kelly at QB with Ken Dorsey as backup. We had James Jackson in the backfield with Clinton Portis. We had a fleet of WR's like we do now and a mediocre O Line. We were actually stacked on defense with the likes of Dan Morgan, Nate Webster, Damione Lewis, Ed Reed etc. Our defensive talent and depth now is very similar to that team. We were listed as nationally irrelevant by most of the media as we are perceived that way now, but just 1 year later, in 2000, everybody was back on Miami's jock.

Bottom Line

I know I'm going to get negged, but the knee jerk reaction from last nights game has been real crazy. I already understand how fickle this fan base is and how quick the "off with his head" sirens go off when we lose a game. I will say this, this staff as well as these players have gone and are still going through the rigors, the same way that 1999 squad did, full of coaching errors and bone headed mistakes by players that cost games. I'm not apologizing for this current staff, but I do think because they have gone through the rigors, that is what will bring about greatness. Miami was full of talent in 1999 with your favorite coach Butch Davis and still managed to make fans (a lot of you same people on this board, and don't lie) sick to their stomachs with the losses they had, and it will be no different this year. I really believe Miami is on the brink of having an elite program. I predict that Miami will have another 9-4 season. I also believe that the 2015 season will be the season Miami wins the coastal and make a playoff appearance.
Yes I remember that year everyone was calling for Butch's head and or an assistant. Sounds familiar.

The PSU game was brought up in relation to the knee jerk reaction as far as the bashing the coaches received

Advertisement
We have been on the "brink" and the "next year you will see" **** for 10+ years. enough already. I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but the evidence from last night coupled with the past 3 years does not provide any assurance that 2015/2016/ or any other year will be any different with this staff.

The PSU game was brought up in relation to the knee jerk reaction as far as the bashing the coaches received

So you are saying that bashing Butch after the PSU game was knee jerk, fine.
Are you also saying that bashing Glutens for getting smashed again by a shlttier version of the Lousiville team that obliterated us in the bowl game and for losing 5 out of our last 7 games in horrible fashion is also knee jerk?

butch davis inherited a worse situation and was a very experienced coach at miami and in nfl. golden is an al groh guy and miami would never have hired groh in past.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The biggest difference is Davis beat a third ranked UCLA team the season before. Golden. No such win. Unless you count Florida last season. He has laid egg after egg. So that's where the knee j erk reaction comes from.

Advertisement
You make valid points dude but Golden and staff have shown ZERO. The first red flag was that kansas state game. He is not a good coach and we will never win under him. The team has also taken his personality and are now soft as ****. Last night was the last straw for me. Our program is still a joke and the time has come for a change.

That game was a Snyder coaching clinic. Almost every single KSU formation put their players at an immediate advantage on both sides of the ball. We made very few adjustments and when we did, they countered within 2 plays. It was painful to watch us get our *** beat by 3 star dudes with a better plan.

And we are still lining up against obvious run packages with 3 up front, lb's wide, and the safeties back 15 yards. Guys can fall forward for 5+ yds or catch the ball in stride right across the middle. So frustrating to bend and bend and bend and not break and take the **** ball like Canes of past eras.

dumbass....99 team won their first game against a pretty decent OSU squad. GTFOH

Advertisement
Back