Things that need to happen before we can take the next step

We need a complete overhaul of our defensive and offensive schemes.

We need a new defensive coordinator and new offensive coordinator.

Advertisement
Agree with just about everything Chosen, good work man.

We need an upgrade at QB & OL next year, I will admit I'm somewhat concerned about who's supposed to be replacing McDermott.

I guess if Herbert isn't all the way ready yet we'll move St.Louis over to LT, which I hope works, because he's a pretty good RT & has been our best OL since last year.

Curious to see if Hillery will be ready as well, I expect John Campbell to redshirt next year, so Idk if he's an option at LT/RT.

Not worried about LG, with Gaynor, plus Cleveland Reed & Scaife coming in, replacing Darling should be an easy transition, especially since he really underperformed this season.

While I'm not about to argue whether we need an OC or not, I will say we need a Run Game coordinator. Whatever title you wanna give'em, but we need another Offensive assistant to help Richt, he needs another pair of eyes up in the booth regardless of who the QB is.

I know he's not giving up play-calling, that's fine don't, but he 100% needs someone who has some legit experience who's a pure lab technician X's & O's guy that lives inside the film room 24/7 & just focuses on finding mismatches against opposing Defenses to exploit.

We only have 3 different run plays & whether it's Walton or Homer, Defenses routinely sniff it out & stuff us at the point of attack. And yes a lot of that has to do with our OL, but a lot of has to do with what we put on tape. All Defenses have to do is watch a couple games of tape on us & they can easily figure out our Run game.

In today's game, you can literally manufacture Offensive productivity. There are teams that don't have 1/16th the amount of talent we do & can still produce on Offense regardless of the competition they face. We need to get with the times & become a more efficient & explosive offense.

On Defense, we either need a LB Coach or a ST's coach that has experience with Defense & can assist the rest of the Defensive staff in preparation.

I'm not on the fire Diaz committee like some, but the Defense definitely didn't play well vs Clemson, but make no mistake about it, we wouldn't have even made to the ACC title game if it wasn't for them.

It's unfair they have to carry the Offense & are expected to literally do everything, then get criticized because they can't, but we make every excuse in the book for why our run game & Offense in general has struggled for last 2 years, even with 2 different QB's & 5 different RB's.

We also need a full time ST's coach, like I said I would prefer a guy who has experience & can help out the Defense, but am fine with a coach who specializes in ST's. Idk the exact stat, but I don't think any opposing Kicker missed a single FG against us this year.

A walk-on Kicker who has never played Football or kicked in his life, could attempt a 70yd against us & drain it lol. We need more FG blocks.

Overall, I'm happy that we finally won the Coastal, was really disappointed that we got embarrassed by Clemson again, but I'm still confident we win big next year.

Excellent post by Liberty City! The top areas for improvement are:

(1) reliable QB (with a quality back-up in case of injury or an off day);
(2) more elite talent;
(3) more quality depth across the board -- we are super thin at certain positions & it killed us at the end of the season;
(4) stronger & more talented OL that can easily gain a couple of yards when needed & run block effectively;
(5) different Special Teams coach. We used to crush it in every phase of the game & every aspect of special teams (place kicker was $$, punter boomed it CONSISTENTLY and pinned opponents inside, our returners were a threat to house it every time they touched it -- we were nowhere close to Hester, Daryl Jones, PBuch type threats this year, we were suffocating on kick coverage and we blocked punts & FG from time to time). This needs to change big time. Nothing is more demoralizing than suffocating an opponent in every phase of the game, including exceptional special teams;
(6) Diaz needs to scrap the soft zone stuff and play more man. Overall, he's been great as DC but the last two games we laid an egg on D in the first quarter or so. Our DBs have always thrived playing man. I think they end up playing soft, slow & confused in zone. It doesn't work. Let them play man; and
(7) CMR is a very good coach. He was a really good OC in the past. He has other responsibilities now as a HC. We need to be able to run an innovative & highly productive offense that can manufacture yards by design. CMR should focus on other areas of his job & bring in an innovative young OC to run the offense (with CMR continuing to provide input with respect to the game plan & on game day).

The fact that defenses don't respect our passing game makes it much harder to run the ball. The numbers just aren't in our favor.

Most of the above complaints will be handled with a real QB.

This is one of the best Posts i have ever read.......Nice Job......
1) Malik Rosier can't start next year.
- A small portion of us knew that Rosier wasn't good for most of the year but when the good times were rolling it made it hard for other people to realize it as they were blinded by the record. When we lost to Pitt there was somewhat of a okay this guy might not be that good kind of moment then the loss to Clemson removed all Canes shade and people were able to see what Rosier truly was, a career backup. Another thing people probably have overlooked is Rosier killed the development of our future this year. When we're constantly in close games because we can't take advantage of things earlier in the game to put teams away. Games thats should be over by the 3rd QTR are still competitive contest because the QB can't make simple reads/throws hurts the other freshman like DJohnson, Dallas, Ford, Perry, Wilder, Jennings, Smith, Finley, Gaynor, Harley, Irving from developing and gaining more and more game experience.

2) We have to get stronger.
- We need a full fledged commitment to get stronger as a TEAM. I don't know when Richt discuss the plans for the training program but we need to improve our strength as a team BY A LOT, A WHOLE LOT, I MEAN A LOT, A LOT, A LOT. I'm not going to act like I expected us to physically compete with the defending national champions (comparing ND to Clemson is laughable). I'm talking smaller picture.. physically dominating everyone in the coastal+FSU would be a nice start. We can't allow UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke to have their way with us up front.
You can talk play calling, scheme, Xs and Os all you want but when your players can't do their jobs will the physicality and strength require to do it at an elite level then don't expect elite results. When your LBs and DL are getting dragged 2-3 yards by the ball carrier even when they have a firm grip on the Pitt or Clemson RB 2 years into this S&C program then the current S&C program ain't good enough as is.

3) Huge, HUGE O-line improvement.
- In my opinion the pass protection wasn't cross your fingers bad then it use to be. Running block is a different story. There has been VERY, VERY little improvement in run blocking. I don't know if Searles is going to have to find different techniques or what but we need HUGE, HUGE improvement in run blocking before we can take the next step. I think with a dominate run game it lessens the importance of needing a Baker Mayfield or the next Ken Dorsey at QB to win the title.

4) Feagles can't start next year.
How spoiled were we? We had terrible teams but great punters then we get a good team and the punter is a complete liability. Listen, at this point anyone is better then this guy Feagles. ANYONE. I refuse to believe we have a backup punter worse then Feagle's typical 30 yard punts.

5) We have to coach to play with more physicality
- Is it me or do we not use the 5 yard defensive contact to our advantage? How many times do we just let a TE run up the seam untouched? I don't see the CB being more physical at the LOS or in that 5 yard area. I see very little contact. We don't challenge the WRs and TE as much as I think we should physically which leads to my next point.

6) Manny needs to fix our 1st QTR defense
Like I stated previous part of the reason why our defense has these slow starts is because we don't challenge WR and TE (at least earlier in games). It like we go into every game with a ULTRA conservative game plan defensively. We come out so conservative defensively and next thing you know we given up 200 yards of offense in the first QTR and it seemingly has happened all year. In the 2nd of half of games we seem to scrap the game plan and play more aggressive and tighter. I don't understand why we don't just come out with it while making tiny adjustment to take away what the opposing offense does well. Make the other team change what we do.. don't change it only to get shredded EVERY SINGLE TIME.

7) Gotta close on these recruiting classes.
We gotta grab the elite kids down here.

Side note: NO I don't think we need a OC. I can't complain about play calling when I know the QB/OL are the biggest liability on the team. It doesn't make sense. I will say I hate those outside runs to the short side of the field.

Agree with just about everything Chosen, good work man.

We need an upgrade at QB & OL next year, I will admit I'm somewhat concerned about who's supposed to be replacing McDermott.

I guess if Herbert isn't all the way ready yet we'll move St.Louis over to LT, which I hope works, because he's a pretty good RT & has been our best OL since last year.

Curious to see if Hillery will be ready as well, I expect John Campbell to redshirt next year, so Idk if he's an option at LT/RT.

Not worried about LG, with Gaynor, plus Cleveland Reed & Scaife coming in, replacing Darling should be an easy transition, especially since he really underperformed this season.

While I'm not about to argue whether we need an OC or not, I will say we need a Run Game coordinator. Whatever title you wanna give'em, but we need another Offensive assistant to help Richt, he needs another pair of eyes up in the booth regardless of who the QB is.

I know he's not giving up play-calling, that's fine don't, but he 100% needs someone who has some legit experience who's a pure lab technician X's & O's guy that lives inside the film room 24/7 & just focuses on finding mismatches against opposing Defenses to exploit.

We only have 3 different run plays & whether it's Walton or Homer, Defenses routinely sniff it out & stuff us at the point of attack. And yes a lot of that has to do with our OL, but a lot of has to do with what we put on tape. All Defenses have to do is watch a couple games of tape on us & they can easily figure out our Run game.

In today's game, you can literally manufacture Offensive productivity. There are teams that don't have 1/16th the amount of talent we do & can still produce on Offense regardless of the competition they face. We need to get with the times & become a more efficient & explosive offense.

On Defense, we either need a LB Coach or a ST's coach that has experience with Defense & can assist the rest of the Defensive staff in preparation.

I'm not on the fire Diaz committee like some, but the Defense definitely didn't play well vs Clemson, but make no mistake about it, we wouldn't have even made to the ACC title game if it wasn't for them.

It's unfair they have to carry the Offense & are expected to literally do everything, then get criticized because they can't, but we make every excuse in the book for why our run game & Offense in general has struggled for last 2 years, even with 2 different QB's & 5 different RB's.

We also need a full time ST's coach, like I said I would prefer a guy who has experience & can help out the Defense, but am fine with a coach who specializes in ST's. Idk the exact stat, but I don't think any opposing Kicker missed a single FG against us this year.

A walk-on Kicker who has never played Football or kicked in his life, could attempt a 70yd against us & drain it lol. We need more FG blocks.

Overall, I'm happy that we finally won the Coastal, was really disappointed that we got embarrassed by Clemson again, but I'm still confident we win big next year.

Here is my thing about the play calling and why I never really have a big issue with it. I see potential in it. I get that others don't see it but here is my thinking about the Offense/play calling. If you made a poll about who was the worse passer since Kirby Freeman most would say Rosier without a doubt. The dude threw 25 TDs as a 56% passer and accounted for 30 TDs overall. Now imagine the ones he MISSED that were relatively simple throws not just against Pitt or Clemson but against UNC, Syracuse, UVa, Duke, FSU etc. EVERYONE AND THEIR MAMA knows how limited Rosier is and Richt got that kinda of production out of him with an unreliable OL/running game.

I find it hard to believe with Richt's choice at QB who fits the running and throwing criteria and a much improved OL/talent that this offense won't be explosive. People on here for some reason want plays we can't either block or pass to. What good is motion if the QB will probably miss the pass anyways? Why would we want to run a reverse? because it worked that one time where Richard had to leap over someone just to get a decent gain? "We should roll Rosier out more." We rolled Malik out at least 5 times vs Clemson and he didn't complete a single ball despite having some open receivers. Our biggest weakness are the 2 more important position/group in football (not just the offense).

Last edited:
Advertisement
1) Malik Rosier can't start next year.
- A small portion of us knew that Rosier wasn't good for most of the year but when the good times were rolling it made it hard for other people to realize it as they were blinded by the record. When we lost to Pitt there was somewhat of a okay this guy might not be that good kind of moment then the loss to Clemson removed all Canes shade and people were able to see what Rosier truly was, a career backup. Another thing people probably have overlooked is Rosier killed the development of our future this year. When we're constantly in close games because we can't take advantage of things earlier in the game to put teams away. Games thats should be over by the 3rd QTR are still competitive contest because the QB can't make simple reads/throws hurts the other freshman like DJohnson, Dallas, Ford, Perry, Wilder, Jennings, Smith, Finley, Gaynor, Harley, Irving from developing and gaining more and more game experience.

2) We have to get stronger.
- We need a full fledged commitment to get stronger as a TEAM. I don't know when Richt discuss the plans for the training program but we need to improve our strength as a team BY A LOT, A WHOLE LOT, I MEAN A LOT, A LOT, A LOT. I'm not going to act like I expected us to physically compete with the defending national champions (comparing ND to Clemson is laughable). I'm talking smaller picture.. physically dominating everyone in the coastal+FSU would be a nice start. We can't allow UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke to have their way with us up front.
You can talk play calling, scheme, Xs and Os all you want but when your players can't do their jobs will the physicality and strength require to do it at an elite level then don't expect elite results. When your LBs and DL are getting dragged 2-3 yards by the ball carrier even when they have a firm grip on the Pitt or Clemson RB 2 years into this S&C program then the current S&C program ain't good enough as is.

3) Huge, HUGE O-line improvement.
- In my opinion the pass protection wasn't cross your fingers bad then it use to be. Running block is a different story. There has been VERY, VERY little improvement in run blocking. I don't know if Searles is going to have to find different techniques or what but we need HUGE, HUGE improvement in run blocking before we can take the next step. I think with a dominate run game it lessens the importance of needing a Baker Mayfield or the next Ken Dorsey at QB to win the title.

4) Feagles can't start next year.
How spoiled were we? We had terrible teams but great punters then we get a good team and the punter is a complete liability. Listen, at this point anyone is better then this guy Feagles. ANYONE. I refuse to believe we have a backup punter worse then Feagle's typical 30 yard punts.

5) We have to coach to play with more physicality
- Is it me or do we not use the 5 yard defensive contact to our advantage? How many times do we just let a TE run up the seam untouched? I don't see the CB being more physical at the LOS or in that 5 yard area. I see very little contact. We don't challenge the WRs and TE as much as I think we should physically which leads to my next point.

6) Manny needs to fix our 1st QTR defense
Like I stated previous part of the reason why our defense has these slow starts is because we don't challenge WR and TE (at least earlier in games). It like we go into every game with a ULTRA conservative game plan defensively. We come out so conservative defensively and next thing you know we given up 200 yards of offense in the first QTR and it seemingly has happened all year. In the 2nd of half of games we seem to scrap the game plan and play more aggressive and tighter. I don't understand why we don't just come out with it while making tiny adjustment to take away what the opposing offense does well. Make the other team change what we do.. don't change it only to get shredded EVERY SINGLE TIME.

7) Gotta close on these recruiting classes.
We gotta grab the elite kids down here.

Side note: NO I don't think we need a OC. I can't complain about play calling when I know the QB/OL are the biggest liability on the team. It doesn't make sense. I will say I hate those outside runs to the short side of the field.

Good stuff OP....to clarify though, most on here didn't think Rosier was good, we thought he was good enough to be a stop gap for a year and still have a successful season, which we did.

We improve in all of your points if we hit grand slams in #7 ...it all starts with recruiting better talent. Coaching plays a factor in developing players, but the talent level must be on par with other national powers. Can't judge Searels based on the last 2 years...my evaluation of Searels truly begins next season with the guys he recruited.

Advertisement
Back