Things that need to happen before we can take the next step

ChosenOne

Band
Banned
1) Malik Rosier can't start next year.
- A small portion of us knew that Rosier wasn't good for most of the year but when the good times were rolling it made it hard for other people to realize it as they were blinded by the record. When we lost to Pitt there was somewhat of a okay this guy might not be that good kind of moment then the loss to Clemson removed all Canes shade and people were able to see what Rosier truly was, a career backup. Another thing people probably have overlooked is Rosier killed the development of our future this year. When we're constantly in close games because we can't take advantage of things earlier in the game to put teams away. Games thats should be over by the 3rd QTR are still competitive contest because the QB can't make simple reads/throws hurts the other freshman like DJohnson, Dallas, Ford, Perry, Wilder, Jennings, Smith, Finley, Gaynor, Harley, Irving from developing and gaining more and more game experience.

2) We have to get stronger.
- We need a full fledged commitment to get stronger as a TEAM. I don't know when Richt discuss the plans for the training program but we need to improve our strength as a team BY A LOT, A WHOLE LOT, I MEAN A LOT, A LOT, A LOT. I'm not going to act like I expected us to physically compete with the defending national champions (comparing ND to Clemson is laughable). I'm talking smaller picture.. physically dominating everyone in the coastal+FSU would be a nice start. We can't allow UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke to have their way with us up front.
You can talk play calling, scheme, Xs and Os all you want but when your players can't do their jobs will the physicality and strength require to do it at an elite level then don't expect elite results. When your LBs and DL are getting dragged 2-3 yards by the ball carrier even when they have a firm grip on the Pitt or Clemson RB 2 years into this S&C program then the current S&C program ain't good enough as is.

3) Huge, HUGE O-line improvement.
- In my opinion the pass protection wasn't cross your fingers bad then it use to be. Running block is a different story. There has been VERY, VERY little improvement in run blocking. I don't know if Searles is going to have to find different techniques or what but we need HUGE, HUGE improvement in run blocking before we can take the next step. I think with a dominate run game it lessens the importance of needing a Baker Mayfield or the next Ken Dorsey at QB to win the title.

4) Feagles can't start next year.
How spoiled were we? We had terrible teams but great punters then we get a good team and the punter is a complete liability. Listen, at this point anyone is better then this guy Feagles. ANYONE. I refuse to believe we have a backup punter worse then Feagle's typical 30 yard punts.

5) We have to coach to play with more physicality
- Is it me or do we not use the 5 yard defensive contact to our advantage? How many times do we just let a TE run up the seam untouched? I don't see the CB being more physical at the LOS or in that 5 yard area. I see very little contact. We don't challenge the WRs and TE as much as I think we should physically which leads to my next point.

6) Manny needs to fix our 1st QTR defense
Like I stated previous part of the reason why our defense has these slow starts is because we don't challenge WR and TE (at least earlier in games). It like we go into every game with a ULTRA conservative game plan defensively. We come out so conservative defensively and next thing you know we given up 200 yards of offense in the first QTR and it seemingly has happened all year. In the 2nd of half of games we seem to scrap the game plan and play more aggressive and tighter. I don't understand why we don't just come out with it while making tiny adjustment to take away what the opposing offense does well. Make the other team change what we do.. don't change it only to get shredded EVERY SINGLE TIME.

7) Gotta close on these recruiting classes.
We gotta grab the elite kids down here.

Side note: NO I don't think we need a OC. I can't complain about play calling when I know the QB/OL are the biggest liability on the team. It doesn't make sense. I will say I hate those outside runs to the short side of the field.

Advertisement
O line hasn’t gotten a push off the ball in a decade. All the tops teams look dominant on the offensive line. At this point, I’m not really sure if it’s coaching or the players. Or both.

I would add that special teams play has been pretty underwhelming imo and also needs improvement but agree on all points

Advertisement
1) Malik Rosier can't start next year.
- A small portion of us knew that Rosier wasn't good for most of the year but when the good times were rolling it made it hard for other people to realize it as they were blinded by the record. When we lost to Pitt there was somewhat of a okay this guy might not be that good kind of moment then the loss to Clemson removed all Canes shade and people were able to see what Rosier truly was, a career backup. Another thing people probably have overlooked is Rosier killed the development of our future this year. When we're constantly in close games because we can't take advantage of things earlier in the game to put teams away. Games thats should be over by the 3rd QTR are still competitive contest because the QB can't make simple reads/throws hurts the other freshman like DJohnson, Dallas, Ford, Perry, Wilder, Jennings, Smith, Finley, Gaynor, Harley, Irving from developing and gaining more and more game experience.

2) We have to get stronger.
- We need a full fledged commitment to get stronger as a TEAM. I don't know when Richt discuss the plans for the training program but we need to improve our strength as a team BY A LOT, A WHOLE LOT, I MEAN A LOT, A LOT, A LOT. I'm not going to act like I expected us to physically compete with the defending national champions (comparing ND to Clemson is laughable). I'm talking smaller picture.. physically dominating everyone in the coastal+FSU would be a nice start. We can't allow UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke to have their way with us up front.
You can talk play calling, scheme, Xs and Os all you want but when your players can't do their jobs will the physicality and strength require to do it at an elite level then don't expect elite results. When your LBs and DL are getting dragged 2-3 yards by the ball carrier even when they have a firm grip on the Pitt or Clemson RB 2 years into this S&C program then the current S&C program ain't good enough as is.

3) Huge, HUGE O-line improvement.
- In my opinion the pass protection wasn't cross your fingers bad then it use to be. Running block is a different story. There has been VERY, VERY little improvement in run blocking. I don't know if Searles is going to have to find different techniques or what but we need HUGE, HUGE improvement in run blocking before we can take the next step. I think with a dominate run game it lessens the importance of needing a Baker Mayfield or the next Ken Dorsey at QB to win the title.

4) Feagles can't start next year.
How spoiled were we? We had terrible teams but great punters then we get a good team and the punter is a complete liability. Listen, at this point anyone is better then this guy Feagles. ANYONE. I refuse to believe we have a backup punter worse then Feagle's typical 30 yard punts.

5) We have to coach to play with more physicality
- Is it me or do we not use the 5 yard defensive contact to our advantage? How many times do we just let a TE run up the seam untouched? I don't see the CB being more physical at the LOS or in that 5 yard area. I see very little contact. We don't challenge the WRs and TE as much as I think we should physically which leads to my next point.

6) Manny needs to fix our 1st QTR defense
Like I stated previous part of the reason why our defense has these slow starts is because we don't challenge WR and TE (at least earlier in games). It like we go into every game with a ULTRA conservative game plan defensively. We come out so conservative defensively and next thing you know we given up 200 yards of offense in the first QTR and it seemingly has happened all year. In the 2nd of half of games we seem to scrap the game plan and play more aggressive and tighter. I don't understand why we don't just come out with it while making tiny adjustment to take away what the opposing offense does well. Make the other team change what we do.. don't change it only to get shredded EVERY SINGLE TIME.

7) Gotta close on these recruiting classes.
We gotta grab the elite kids down here.

Side note: NO I don't think we need a OC. I can't complain about play calling when I know the QB/OL are the biggest liability on the team. It doesn't make sense. I will say I hate those outside runs to the short side of the field.

biggest one besides QB

I would add kickoff return to the list. Only remember couple times where we almost broke one and with Thomas speed we should have better returns. I would guess 80% of the returnable kicks we started between the 15 and 23 yard line.

Some of what you said is right on, but we have come a long way physically and just need to take that next step. QB is our single biggest issue. What does this team look like with a top 10 QB? More than being more physical, we need speed and playmakers on offense and special teams. None if it matters though if Rosier is our QB. Feagles will be fine. All mental with him right now. We need to close on Lingard, Davis, Pope, Mallory and jordan. All five of these kids will play big minutes in 2018.

Advertisement
Nobody thought the guy was great, it's just that we didn't care as long as we won. Also, since we didn't have much in the way of options, there didn't seem much point in complaining.

Other than that, agree.

#6 is the one that irks me the most.

I don't know how Manny can talk about "the great Miami defenses" and then use some soft scheme that is a MAJOR detriment to our team.

Fix it, Diaz.

Agree with just about everything Chosen, good work man.

We need an upgrade at QB & OL next year, I will admit I'm somewhat concerned about who's supposed to be replacing McDermott.

I guess if Herbert isn't all the way ready yet we'll move St.Louis over to LT, which I hope works, because he's a pretty good RT & has been our best OL since last year.

Curious to see if Hillery will be ready as well, I expect John Campbell to redshirt next year, so Idk if he's an option at LT/RT.

Not worried about LG, with Gaynor, plus Cleveland Reed & Scaife coming in, replacing Darling should be an easy transition, especially since he really underperformed this season.

While I'm not about to argue whether we need an OC or not, I will say we need a Run Game coordinator. Whatever title you wanna give'em, but we need another Offensive assistant to help Richt, he needs another pair of eyes up in the booth regardless of who the QB is.

I know he's not giving up play-calling, that's fine don't, but he 100% needs someone who has some legit experience who's a pure lab technician X's & O's guy that lives inside the film room 24/7 & just focuses on finding mismatches against opposing Defenses to exploit.

We only have 3 different run plays & whether it's Walton or Homer, Defenses routinely sniff it out & stuff us at the point of attack. And yes a lot of that has to do with our OL, but a lot of has to do with what we put on tape. All Defenses have to do is watch a couple games of tape on us & they can easily figure out our Run game.

In today's game, you can literally manufacture Offensive productivity. There are teams that don't have 1/16th the amount of talent we do & can still produce on Offense regardless of the competition they face. We need to get with the times & become a more efficient & explosive offense.

On Defense, we either need a LB Coach or a ST's coach that has experience with Defense & can assist the rest of the Defensive staff in preparation.

I'm not on the fire Diaz committee like some, but the Defense definitely didn't play well vs Clemson, but make no mistake about it, we wouldn't have even made to the ACC title game if it wasn't for them.

It's unfair they have to carry the Offense & are expected to literally do everything, then get criticized because they can't, but we make every excuse in the book for why our run game & Offense in general has struggled for last 2 years, even with 2 different QB's & 5 different RB's.

We also need a full time ST's coach, like I said I would prefer a guy who has experience & can help out the Defense, but am fine with a coach who specializes in ST's. Idk the exact stat, but I don't think any opposing Kicker missed a single FG against us this year.

A walk-on Kicker who has never played Football or kicked in his life, could attempt a 70yd against us & drain it lol. We need more FG blocks.

Overall, I'm happy that we finally won the Coastal, was really disappointed that we got embarrassed by Clemson again, but I'm still confident we win big next year.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long post, was going to make my own thread, but decided not to because Chosen hit on most of the same points I agreed with.

Advertisement
Bryant would have looked awful on our team last night. Rozier isn't a single part of the problem. No he shouldn't start next year but he's not the issue.

What if Rosier stays and beats everyone out next season again. Is there anyway this kid can improve now after a season under his belt? Or do you guys think he reached his ceiling

O line hasn’t gotten a push off the ball in a decade. All the tops teams look dominant on the offensive line. At this point, I’m not really sure if it’s coaching or the players. Or both.

Well Jeff Stoutland coached Miami's offensive line from 2007 to 2010 and had mediocre lines. Then 2011 and 2012 at Alabama and was part of two national championship teams. Didn't recruit those lines. A good position coach still needs athletes to have a great unit. Takes 3 years to develop a cohesive line. Searles is working with Golden and Kehoe kids.

Advertisement
What if Rosier stays and beats everyone out next season again. Is there anyway this kid can improve now after a season under his belt? Or do you guys think he reached his ceiling

I think we saw the best of Rosier this year. He is a gamer, but his inaccuracy limits the playbook. You can't really fix inaccuracy - if you could Brady Quinn would be playing on Sundays. I loved Rosier's heroics, but we shouldn't have been in a lot of those tight spots if we could move ball consistently. We had 4 turnovers against Syracuse and I don't think we scored points. Against Clemson, we got the ball on their 40 and came away with zero. You can't do that against the #1 team and expect to win.

I think we got some really lucky bounces this year, otherwise we might be at 8-4 again (I'm not complaining, a win is a win). With Rosier next year, I think ceiling is acc coastal. With Perry, I think that is the floor.

In my honest opinion I don't see that happening. Now, I was completely wrong about him coming into the season, so he definitely proved me wrong & handed me an L on that.

But, with what we've seen from him Idk of he can improve on the things he needs to for us to become a legit title contender.

His overall accuracy is subpar, his ball placement is usually off & he struggles reading the field. He has good intangibles & a lot of moxy, but he's a limited passer & I don't think he'll be that much better than he was this season.

If he wins the job next year, it's either because he really improved a great deal or because Perry, Weldon & Williams just ain't ready yet still.

I think with Lingard, Pope, Hightower, Wiggins, Davis, Jordan & Mallory coming in, to go with Richards, Dallas, Thomas, Homer, Harley, Harris, Cager, Langham, Irvin & Njoku (once healthy), that gives us a bevy of weapons that when utilized properly can be really hard to stop.

It would be a real shame to not see what we got with one of the young guys, but worst come to worst, we know what we got with Rosier, he's good enough to hold down the fort & help us get to Charlotte. Just not good enough to put the team on his back & actually win it.

DC's have a full season on tape of how to disrupt Rosier & keep him off his mark, with one of the young QB's there's no film on them & we can possibly have a more dynamic playbook with one of them at the helm.

Not gon lie, I'm tired of seeing what Richt can do with Foley recruits on Offense, I wanna see what Richt can do with his own guys.

We need (a) a better QB, (b) a much improved OL, and (c) better depth across the board.

Based on who is coming back and who we have coming in, we will get some of (c). I think (a) and (b) are a lot shakier. Let's hope Perry is the goods and our young OL make huge strides this coming year.

Advertisement
Back