Things Are Different, But…

Advertisement
I wanted some things to come to fruition before making this post. Clearly, under Mario’s leadership things are different. For a while I’ve complained about the S&C program, & now u’re hearing from our kids’ very own mouths, while trying to be respectful of the old program, admitting both the workouts & nutrition have been more geared towards what they do vs. saying to themselves ‘I can “see’” how this can relate to football.’

We’ve complained about recruiting; being lazy towards certain caliber of players, not having enough eyes out there like a Bama, Clemson, or UGA. Now, we’re seeing the exact opposite, not afraid to aggressively go after top tier talent DESPITE location.

We’ve complained about practices being, too, lax, where coaching wasn’t necessarily done. Brownie points & seniority taking precedence before the first whistle. Now we see guys getting coached up on minor details. Players praising the practices being harder, while seeing our HC, OC, & S&C coaches being right there in the middle, not allowing guys to get away w/ not executing their standards.

Honestly, there’s a lot to be excited for; couple that w/ the fam getting back together & allowed to come through w/ appropriate notice. Media coverage has been WAAAAY better than before. (Shout out to Canesville). Having a great, GREAT AD who comes from a top notch football factory. Having guys on staff w/ NFL credentials, &/or So Fla street cred. Seeing players work their tails out, looking like football players v. high school guys playing at the collegiate level. This has been the most excited I’ve been about the direction of our program since the downfall.

HOWEVER, I wanna swagger jack a partial post from @canesdogo:

“I am convinced that many cane fans will start, bleeting, cussin' and belching, negative crap, when we lose a close game, or a called play does not work out during a crucial game….The big question is........... will our fans give the Canes, Coaches and team a chance to grow and become great, or will impatience win out?.”

This, too, is my concern. We’ve been patiently waiting for 15+ yrs. Let’s be honest, there were & are some serious Mario haters on here, & human nature is sometimes ppl care about being right than being wrong. It’s the sensationalism of saying “Aha, I told u so” vs. seeing what’s best for their program. I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the last 3 hires, however I put on the best pair of O&G glasses for a brief moment to give them a chance. This time, it feels different. It didn’t “feel” different under the previous hires, but like true fans, many convinced ourselves it would b/c we care. Mario 2021 vs Mario 2016 is two different coaches, but make no mistake about it, we r a rebuild & remodel. Some houses just need a coat of paint, while others need the dry rot completely removed & parts renovated. Our house is the latter. So I don’t want the fans who want “Lane Train” to assume in yr 1, if we don’t knock it out the park, we inherited FIU Mario.

Garcia already said it’s been a process learning a new O & D. Pls understand, while we boast some nice, young parts that will be great, we still have holes & ?marks across. That’s not a Mario fault, that’s a previous regime fault. I seen posters say ACCCG or bust, 10+ wins or it’s a failure. U r setting urself up for failure. History shows even the greatest coaches needed 2-3 yrs to right a ship off back on course. So my plead to my fellow Canes fans is to give it just a little time. Our culture has been tarnished, & like any fine jewelry that’s been tarnished, it takes a little time to buff it back to its luster.

It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, & as Mario said, nothing is done yet. Enjoy what we got cooking, just don’t stick ur head in the pot, too, soon.
Please define swagger Jack. In context I believe I know what it means but I will ask you to define it so I can properly use it moving forward. Swagger Jack or in Masshole, Swaaaagah Jack guy.

I will sign your petition and will be patient. I will not be held responsible for any mindless outbursts on the game day Board. That is my only stipulation.

The hype isn't just because we hired Mario but is that the U has decided we needed to invest more via the Herbie rant. Herbie got the ball rolling and I doubt Mario would be here except for the investments being made to hire better coaches, improve facilities. It takes financial backing to accomplish it. I am thrilled we have an experienced coach and that he himself along with his hires are all top notch recruiters and solid teachers. I thought Richt would do well except he refused to change QB coach then Manny had a bad hire at OC that surprised everyone since at the time it seemed to be a great hire, Manny quickly got that solved. Manny was handicapped when it came to the finances versus what the U has now. I thank Herbie for exposing our lack of dedication and for alum stepping up. We are in great shape to start winning titles and these changes have expedited the timeframe. That is a good thing and with our talent I expect 2022 to have a competitive system. We have the coaches, we have the backing, we have more fans back and the best QB.

Lol at ur Manny logic. If u think that’s y Manny failed, psssst….I gotta a beach front property in Boise, ID for sale, & pal, I think it will fit u quite well. (Cash only, pls.)

Advertisement
Please define swagger Jack. In context I believe I know what it means but I will ask you to define it so I can properly use it moving forward. Swagger Jack or in Masshole, Swaaaagah Jack guy.

I will sign your petition and will be patient. I will not be held responsible for any mindless outbursts on the game day Board. That is my only stipulation.

Swagger jack: to jack someone’s swagger.

Lol

On building a program that will last:

“First you lose big. Then you lose close. Then you win close. And finally, you win big”. - Bobby Bowden

We are somewhere in the middle. Elite recruiting & the portal might speed up the process.. but it’s definitely going to take some time.

Swagger jack: to jack someone’s swagger.

Lol
You know I need help from time to time keeping up. Thank You!

Great post. Now I need Macho to confirm things are changing behind the scenes.

How is it going out in LA with the missing Linc and the Trojans. Is the west coast private school ramping up like this sleeping giant on the east coast?

That would be the ultimate title game.

My fault; my reply wasn’t really towards u, but just highlighting another example of how a great coach needed some time to change the culture. There’s way too many examples of it needing a couple of yrs to change culture vs. microwave results. Honestly, I can’t think of any rebuilds that happened immediately. I’m sure there are some, but those appear to be more anomalies v. the norm. That’s y I have great expectations for the program, as a whole, but have realistic expectations for the upcoming season.
Absolutely no need for an apology or explanation. I have the utmost respect for you and your insight and perspective. I think we both were just clarifying our statements.

Advertisement
I wanted some things to come to fruition before making this post. Clearly, under Mario’s leadership things are different. For a while I’ve complained about the S&C program, & now u’re hearing from our kids’ very own mouths, while trying to be respectful of the old program, admitting both the workouts & nutrition have been more geared towards what they do vs. saying to themselves ‘I can “see’” how this can relate to football.’

We’ve complained about recruiting; being lazy towards certain caliber of players, not having enough eyes out there like a Bama, Clemson, or UGA. Now, we’re seeing the exact opposite, not afraid to aggressively go after top tier talent DESPITE location.

We’ve complained about practices being, too, lax, where coaching wasn’t necessarily done. Brownie points & seniority taking precedence before the first whistle. Now we see guys getting coached up on minor details. Players praising the practices being harder, while seeing our HC, OC, & S&C coaches being right there in the middle, not allowing guys to get away w/ not executing their standards.

Honestly, there’s a lot to be excited for; couple that w/ the fam getting back together & allowed to come through w/ appropriate notice. Media coverage has been WAAAAY better than before. (Shout out to Canesville). Having a great, GREAT AD who comes from a top notch football factory. Having guys on staff w/ NFL credentials, &/or So Fla street cred. Seeing players work their tails out, looking like football players v. high school guys playing at the collegiate level. This has been the most excited I’ve been about the direction of our program since the downfall.

“I am convinced that many cane fans will start, bleeting, cussin' and belching, negative crap, when we lose a close game, or a called play does not work out during a crucial game….The big question is........... will our fans give the Canes, Coaches and team a chance to grow and become great, or will impatience win out?.”

This, too, is my concern. We’ve been patiently waiting for 15+ yrs. Let’s be honest, there were & are some serious Mario haters on here, & human nature is sometimes ppl care about being right than being wrong. It’s the sensationalism of saying “Aha, I told u so” vs. seeing what’s best for their program. I’ll admit, I wasn’t a fan of the last 3 hires, however I put on the best pair of O&G glasses for a brief moment to give them a chance. This time, it feels different. It didn’t “feel” different under the previous hires, but like true fans, many convinced ourselves it would b/c we care. Mario 2021 vs Mario 2016 is two different coaches, but make no mistake about it, we r a rebuild & remodel. Some houses just need a coat of paint, while others need the dry rot completely removed & parts renovated. Our house is the latter. So I don’t want the fans who want “Lane Train” to assume in yr 1, if we don’t knock it out the park, we inherited FIU Mario.

Garcia already said it’s been a process learning a new O & D. Pls understand, while we boast some nice, young parts that will be great, we still have holes & ?marks across. That’s not a Mario fault, that’s a previous regime fault. I seen posters say ACCCG or bust, 10+ wins or it’s a failure. U r setting urself up for failure. History shows even the greatest coaches needed 2-3 yrs to right a ship off back on course. So my plead to my fellow Canes fans is to give it just a little time. Our culture has been tarnished, & like any fine jewelry that’s been tarnished, it takes a little time to buff it back to its luster.

It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, & as Mario said, nothing is done yet. Enjoy what we got cooking, just don’t stick ur head in the pot, too, soon.
Great post friend.
I said in my eyebrow raising thread, that I wanted to play Alabama in 2-3 years giving Mario time to build up the roster and change the culture. I still stand by my thread.

On building a program that will last:

“First you lose big. Then you lose close. Then you win close. And finally, you win big”. - Bobby Bowden

We are somewhere in the middle. Elite recruiting & the portal might speed up the process.. but it’s definitely going to take some time.

Facts; and I’m OK w/ that. What I’m not OK w/ is what we witnessed, doggy:

-Dancing allowed on the sidelines while we getting our brains beat in by a G5 school

-Awards provided for mediocre performances

-Trinkets given out while getting embarrassed on Nat’l TV

-A HC slipping & sliding after a game

-Allowing historic negative bench marks in all 3 seasons.

Man, turrible chit we endured just the past 3 seasons alone.

Great post friend.
I said in my eyebrow raising thread, that I wanted to play Alabama in 2-3 years giving Mario time to build up the roster and change the culture. I still stand by my thread.

Yeah, u need litmus tests. Iron sharpens iron; beating teams like App St, Connecticut State, FAMU & the ACC Coastal is not going to cut it. We were at our best playing the best.

Advertisement
10-2 with 2 blowout losses to Clemson and A&M could be just as disappointing as 8-4 with 2 very closes losses to ACC teams and 2 close losses to Clemson and A&M.

There are a lot of factors that go into deciding a successful season. Record is important but how we play for 4 quarters and how the coaches make adjustments are just as important. Can we get short yards on the ground when we need them? Can we get off the field on 3rd and 4th down? Score TDs when we get in the red zone? Keep them to field goals? Not constantly shoot ourselves in the foot with terribly timed penalties?

There are all kinds of other factors that can leave you feeling optimistic even if the record isn't as good as you hope or vice versa.

Advertisement
10-2 with 2 blowout losses to Clemson and A&M could be just as disappointing as 8-4 with 2 very closes losses to ACC teams and 2 close losses to Clemson and A&M.

There are a lot of factors that go into deciding a successful season. Record is important but how we play for 4 quarters and how the coaches make adjustments are just as important. Can we get short yards on the ground when we need them? Can we get off the field on 3rd and 4th down? Score TDs when we get in the red zone? Keep them to field goals? Not constantly shoot ourselves in the foot with terribly timed penalties?

There are all kinds of other factors that can leave you feeling optimistic even if the record isn't as good as you hope or vice versa.
Only losses against Clemson and A&M, regardless of by how much, means we probably made it into the ACC championship game, which is better than 4 close losses and watching the game from home.

As a mope I’m cool with a rebuild year and expect one. Granted this off-season is electric.

But there are some things you can fix in one offseason.I don’t want to see the same **** for 15 years where we looked completely undisciplined. Playing down to our competition. Lastly for the love of god I’m tired of seeing a player flash then disappear the rest of his career here to reappear back in the nfl. Consistent player development.

Lane was my first choice and what you said is my concern as well. I have 2 friends that expect 10 wins in year 1 and I'm trying to bring their expectations down a notch. I do think if Mario doesn't at least win 10 games in year 1 there will be some haters and that's ridiculous . Mario has so much work to do on the starting 22 to depth. Gotta give the man a few recruiting classes. To me year 3 is where you can judge him

Sometimes having unrealistic expectations are the reasons why these fans ***** and moan so much. I think this is a 8-4 even with TVD at the helm. Our defense with the exception of a few players is still filled with Jags..on offense that interior O line still scares and all of our receivers are unproven. If we do better than 8-4 I will be very happy but we need more bullies in the trenches and our coach is working on that. I think we hired the right guy, this is just a 3-4 year project.

agree I got them 8-4

Advertisement
Back