Rumor They Are Making Noise About A "Ruiz Rule"

If he put it up on the Lifewallet page, we would be at the exact same spot. I agree with you that it could (should?) be done on there, but the end result is the same - he is complying with the letter of the law.

And notice, I have not said otherwise, so I do agree with you on compliance with the letter of the (current) law. I just think that using the corporate name, social media, etc. is a better long-term move for John and the company, for multiple reasons. I'd go into more detail, but we have some real basic posters who just haven't worked in large corporations.

I have a feeling that a lot of schools/ADs/Presidents are going to do everything they can to tailor the language of any proposed "regulations" to make sure that they cover John Ruiz and LifeWallet. I'd prefer that we don't offer up such an obvious target.

Let the Dumb Danny Kanell's of the world think that they are doing something about collectives, and then let them be surprised to realize it doesn't cover a publicly-traded company.

I just want John Ruiz to move in silence like Dr. Pepper. Does anyone know who Dr. Pepper's CEO is (without Googling it)? And don't say "Brian Bosworth".

Last edited:
Advertisement
And notice, I have not said otherwise, so I do agree with you on compliance with the letter of the (current) law. I just think that using the corporate name, social media, etc. is a better long-term move for John and the company, for multiple reasons. I'd go into more detail, but we have some real basic posters who just haven't worked in large corporations.

I just have a feeling that a lot of schools/ADs/Presidents are going to do everything they can to tailor the language of any proposed "regulations" to make sure that they cover John Ruiz and LifeWallet. I'd prefer that we don't offer up such an obvious target.

Let the Dumb Danny Kanell's of the world think that they are doing something about collectives, and then let them be surprised to realize it doesn't cover a publicly-traded company.

I just want John Ruiz to move in silence like Dr. Pepper. Does anyone know who Dr. Pepper's CEO is (without Googling it)? And don't say "Brian Bosworth".
To go tax laywer... it is not the form of Lifewallet vs Ruiz that they care about, it is the function of Miami being the beneficiaries instead of Bama, TN, etc.

I've laid low on this, because what I have to say would take 100 pages, but to be slightly brief, you are one of the only people in here who completely get it. Who in their right mind thinks that John Ruiz shouldn't execute his business model by publicizing his NIL deals to create actual value from the agreements? Who in their right mind thinks John Ruiz is going to cower and "lay low" when he's completely in the legal right? John Ruiz would LOVE the NCAA to come after him. He would eat them alive. Because he's right. And because he's better. The NCAA won't go near him.

This thread is an excellent window into who here is happy to count the days down to their next paycheck and who the doers are. Fans are in their panties because SI and other rags are smearing us incorrectly? "He's too brash!" "He should law low!" News flash, people. They ALREADY HATE US. Anything we do that leads us to be successful they are going to write about negatively. Whether we publicize it or not. In fact, if we keep it quiet they will accuse us of hiding something.

Oh no! We celebrated a TD?

Oh no, a private businessman, with all contracts approved by Miami compliance, is hiring students to work for his companies?

Nut up, people. They are always going to try to tear us down. You can either cry about how scared you are the boogeyman might get us, or sit back and enjoy it.
As we used to say in the old days RIGHT ON!!!!

Advertisement
Never bet against the self-made billionaires. They are used to fights and win them, they have an army of lawyers who are better than anyone the NCAA can hire for 75k/year, and they are very, very smart.
If you guys think the NCAA has any leverage on John Ruiz you are wholly mistaken. The only issue that will be decided if this goes to court is whether the NCAA even exists after Ruiz is done with them.
I could care less but this will be the nail in the NCAA’s coffin if they do anything to stop kids from being paid for their NIL.
I have said this a few places, but I think you are so spot on it is unreal. The NCAA is playing with fire with 1) guys like Ohio State's AD already saying the P5 should break off under the CFP and 2) their tax exempt status being based off of promotion of amateur athletics, yet now their athletes are getting paid.

Love what Ruiz has done with NIL

But....

Maybe tone it down a bit and make moves like this guy...

game-of-thrones-well-played.gif

Advertisement
#Savage

Johnny R running his ballsack across Kanell's face.

the only issue with this is you just have to make sure its not contingent on enrollment which that tweet makes it seem like it does (using NIL for recruiting). now I know ruizs deals are legit and comply with the NIL law and on top of that, its one of the few NIL deals where you actually see the kids perform

Again, move in silence. That’s a life lesson in all areas of life.

On the streets: U making $$ on the corner w/ a new connect? u don’t go brag about it b/c u will get knocked off or they coming at u

Invention: u have a bright idea b4 it’s patented? U don’t go brag about it b/c they will steal it.

Relationship: u in a good relationship where the *** is tremendous? U don’t tell ur boys about it, b/c as soon as u turn ur back, they will try to see about that action.

NIL: u moving needles getting kids to consider us? U don’t tweet about it, b/c the NCAA & Southern Schools hate us.
Real G's move in silence. Like sign this fat *** NIL deal brother.

Comedy Silence GIF by CBS

Advertisement
Respectfully, who cares what happens in a courtroom?

The primary issue with NIL is will it cause the NCAA to sanction a particular school. As we all know, that's not a court proceeding. That's a completely different set of standards and the ones that can give a school pause.
If the sanction limits NIL opportunities in any way, the issue will go straight to a courtroom because NIL is a Supreme Court decision. Had the NCAA created NIL BEFORE the Supreme Court decision then they would still be the governing authority on the subject. But they did not and this will end in court.

And it will start with an injunction against the NCAA such that no one will be ineligible and no sanction will be enforced until after the case has gone thru the court systems, which is likely to take 3-5 years if it reaches the Superme Court.

Advertisement
I've laid low on this, because what I have to say would take 100 pages, but to be slightly brief, you are one of the only people in here who completely get it. Who in their right mind thinks that John Ruiz shouldn't execute his business model by publicizing his NIL deals to create actual value from the agreements? Who in their right mind thinks John Ruiz is going to cower and "lay low" when he's completely in the legal right? John Ruiz would LOVE the NCAA to come after him. He would eat them alive. Because he's right. And because he's better. The NCAA won't go near him.

This thread is an excellent window into who here is happy to count the days down to their next paycheck and who the doers are. Fans are in their panties because SI and other rags are smearing us incorrectly? "He's too brash!" "He should law low!" News flash, people. They ALREADY HATE US. Anything we do that leads us to be successful they are going to write about negatively. Whether we publicize it or not. In fact, if we keep it quiet they will accuse us of hiding something.

Oh no! We celebrated a TD?

Oh no, a private businessman, with all contracts approved by Miami compliance, is hiring students to work for his companies?

Nut up, people. They are always going to try to tear us down. You can either cry about how scared you are the boogeyman might get us, or sit back and enjoy it.
Could not have written it better,
Frankly, UM is at its best when it wears the black hat. UM is counter culture. UM is about doing what others don’t want to do, or are scared to do, and doing it loudly.
And more importantly as you wrote, whether we are quiet or loud, the criticism is coming regardless less so enjoy it and own it.

If the sanction limits NIL opportunities in any way, the issue will go straight to a courtroom because NIL is a Supreme Court decision. Had the NCAA created NIL BEFORE the Supreme Court decision then they would still be the governing authority on the subject. But they did not and this will end in court.

And it will start with an injunction against the NCAA such that no one will be ineligible and no isanction will be enforced until after the case has gone thru the court systems, which is likely to take 3-5 years if it reaches the Superme Court.
We are talking about different things. People are *I think* freaking out about NIL because of the possibility of some suggestion that somehow we're doing something contrary to NCAA. My point was that NCAA investigations into wrongdoing (of any type) aren't courtroom battles.

We are talking about different things. People are *I think* freaking out about NIL because of the possibility of some suggestion that somehow we're doing something contrary to NCAA. My point was that NCAA investigations into wrongdoing (of any type) aren't courtroom battles.
You are correct.
I just meant that efforts to sanction for NIL violations will end up in court because the NCAA will be sanctioning for what the Supreme Court has deemed a right. Either a school or player or both will fight the sanction in court and will have the ability to do so because of how NIL came into existence.
It is an option that did not previously exist when the NCAA was enforcing its own rules.

Advertisement
Back