There is a scrimmage today?

quick tally shows kaaya went 11-15 for 120 yards? i'm fine with that ...

An incomplete is better than a sack which is better than a pick. Simple concepts lost on snickers and Jacory.

The good news HBK seems easily smart enough to get it. He merely needs to manage the game, let his team (Yearby Duke Gus and great receiving corps) keep the O on the field and the D fresh, and good things could happen.

This kid is smart and that's a QB's best weapon. With the offensive tools we have IMO we will win a lot of games if we simply don't beat ourselves.

Advertisement
Defensive line dominated the offensive line (particularly right side) on passing downs resulting in a total of six or seven sacks. Some of that was on Kaaya's slow read on the plays.

Reading this has me shook about our OL this year. Things are looking bleak.

So if heaps is healthy he is going to start. That pretty much settles that if this poster is not a porster

Defense looks good.
"THE OFFENSE SUCKS! THE SKY IS FALLING! FIRE EVERYONE!!"

Offense looks good.
"Same ole D'no! THE SKY IS FALLING! BURN EVERYTHING! FIRE EVERYONE!"

Both looked okay.
"Mediocrity!! KILL EVERYTHING!"

Oh to be a Miami fan...

Has this staff shown you other wise? We haven't beaten a team that has finished in the top 15 in BCS at the end of the year since we beat Georgia Tech in 2009! That's a Randy Shannon coached team 6 years ago. Until they prove other wise there is no reason to provide the benefit of the doubt. Especially when throwing a historically bad defense out there and a true freshman that has been OK in practices. I believe Kaaya is still our best options but when it comes down to winning games our best option might not be good enough this year. Therefore I believe Heaps or Williams starting and redshirting Kaaya would be the best route to take.

Then why even read a scrimmage thread?

Anyone else a little concerned with Coleys play calling? Last year and then I just read the short scrimmage recap. His offense is about as simple as a 6th grade team. Stretch run to left or right and WR screens left and right. Is this Patrick Nix's play book?

Anyone else a little concerned with Coleys play calling? Last year and then I just read the short scrimmage recap. His offense is about as simple as a 6th grade team. Stretch run to left or right and WR screens left and right. Is this Patrick Nix's play book?

Based on what I read here, yes.

Why does the QB have to carry the team? Why does that matter?

We have Duke Johnson. Does anyone know how many teams would kill to have a Duke Johnson? Here is an interesting thought, give the playmaker the ball. Let him be the focal point of our offense. Get a **** QB to feed the ball to our British TE, Coley and Duke.

Enough of all the BS

1. Actual improvement in the ACC (6-2, 7-1 or 8-0)
2. Win the coastal, and
3. 10 Wins before the post season

In 2005 Oklahoma had someone named Adrian Peterson who rushed 1,208 yards and 14 touchdowns on 220 carries, finishing second in Big 12 rushing yardage and they still finished 8-5. The only position where a stud like that matters (without help around him) is the QB position.

A few things:

1. In 2005 Adrian Peterson was limited due to a broken foot.

2. Oklahoma went 8-4.

3. All irrelevant to 2014 Miami Hurricanes.

Advertisement
Yep. I love him as a recruiter but have significant concerns about him as an OC/play caller. If you're a glass half full person, perhaps he was dumbing down the play book for snickers.

Obviously you're oversimplifying but I think the most concerning thing about Coley's playcalling last year was the lack of getting the backs involved in the passing game. Not on dumpoffs or things of that nature - Snickers was the limiting factor there - I'm talking about getting them involved by design.

I'm hoping that he has taken a look at this and he can come up with some ways to get Duke and the backs the ball in the passing game this year.

Linebacker Thurston Armbrister picked off a pass and returned it for a 40-yard touchdown, but the junior linebacker was not the only defensive standout on Monday night. Malik Mayweather also had an interception late in the first half, while senior linebacker Denzel Perryman delivered a loud and forceful hit on Edwards in the second half for a three-yard loss. Perryman finished the night with five tackles

He comin.....

Gus must taunt Denzel before and after practices and scrimmages. No other reason why Denzel constantly rocks him.

I'm thinking he messes up his locker, puts stuff in his shoes and helmet, hides his stuff. I don't know but Denzel must not like it.

This is why he needs to stop running so high he has Denzel hitting him everyday if that doesn't make him run lower then honestly nothing will. Kid has got his head rattled by Denzel far too many times

Advertisement

Obviously you're oversimplifying but I think the most concerning thing about Coley's playcalling last year was the lack of getting the backs involved in the passing game. Not on dumpoffs or things of that nature - Snickers was the limiting factor there - I'm talking about getting them involved by design.

I'm hoping that he has taken a look at this and he can come up with some ways to get Duke and the backs the ball in the passing game this year.

That, and the TE. Coley has an addiction to bootleg/roll-out in order to get the TE involved. The route trees for the WR's are worrisome and there's a propensity to run them into coverage. The offense used the term "choas tempo" last yr...nothing kills tempo like lining up and then everyone looks back to the sideline for LOS checks and audibles.

you were able to gather what type of plays were called based on these report? haha really. Were we in trips or double tight? Were we in shotgun, pistol, or under center. did we run a stretch play, counter, toss, draw? I feel like I missed a lot of info that you apparently received.

Kaaya is our starter game 1, even if Heaps is not seriously hurt and is in fact just resting. Since Olsen is out then Heaps is our only viable back up for UL, hence the need to rest him which also gave Kaaya more reps in the scrimmage. Win, win.

Last edited:

That, and the TE. Coley has an addiction to bootleg/roll-out in order to get the TE involved. The route trees for the WR's are worrisome and there's a propensity to run them into coverage. The offense used the term "choas tempo" last yr...nothing kills tempo like lining up and then everyone looks back to the sideline for LOS checks and audibles.

Agree but I think that may be a function of Morris not being able to make the correct pre-snap reads and adjustments. I think the ol' line up and look to the sideline thing would decrease with either Kaaya or Heaps, except in certain situations.

Miami had a top 40 offense despite it's overall low TOP, embarrassing 3rd down conversion rate, not having Duke Johnson during the meat of the schedule, and a QB who left a lot to be desired between the ears. Don't have a problem with Coley aside from abysmal and uncreative 4th down and short situations.

Advertisement
Just waiting for the same guys dying for Kaaya to start to transform into hypocrites after game 1.

I only read 2 screen attempts in the 17 attempts by Kaaya, counting the completion to Lewis that was called a sack.
Looks like he targeted the receivers 12 times, tight ends 3 and backs twice.
Almost 9 yds per attempt. I'll take that.

Advertisement
McCord lacks the fluidity movement skills to be an effective every down slb in this defense. It isn't like some 3-4s that have both those guys rushing consistently, the slb has to be able to play in space and cover. In specific sets where he'll be rushing the passer he'll be fine there, but he hasn't shown the ability in the past to be an every down slb.

Kayaa seemed to do pretty good according to the reports. Especially for a freshman who didn't EE.

Coley still seems to call the same dumb *** plays. Stretch L or R. WR screen. Deep out. ... Can we have some posts, drags, flats, seams?!? Jesus

WR have been dropping more passes then usual. Carroll needs to coach them up.

Just waiting for the same guys dying for Kaaya to start to transform into hypocrites after game 1.
In before the first "Kaaya holds the ball too long!!!" post.

Im a Baltimore Ravens fan i have watch Joe Flacco for years. i'm use to a QB holding the ball long.He won a super bowl and i shut up about it. lol
Our fanbase seems to love attributing all sacks to the QB holding the ball too long even when the OL is simply getting beat and the poor QB has no chance to even plant his feet or look downfield.

Advertisement
Back