There Exists A Wide Talent Gap Between FSU And Miami

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
I wish by year three we weren't forced to roll out Highsmith, Renfrow, Shayon, Morris, Walford, Pierre, Gaines, Cornelius etc.

They are "nice" players, but FSU just makes you realize what a bunch of top 5 classes can do when you hit on the right kids.

We're still forced to play these average guys for some reason. We sprinkle in a few athletic, explosive difference makers in there, but we don't have the amount across the board that FSU does. Hopefully this next class helps bring in more, but I was pretty surprised at the talent difference.

We have a great group of wide receivers and corners. Perryman is solid, but after that, not many standout guys that will swing you games. This is especially the case at the defensive line.

I'm just very discouraged at the state of things. Objectively, for as much as there is to be excited about, there's a lot of things missing. Namely, the front 7.

We need a major influx of talent (looks like it's on the way, thankfully) and for the young guys here, they better improve.

Jamal Carter
Deon Bush
Artie Burns
Jermaine Grace
Tyriq McCord
Alquadin Muhammad
Alex Figueroa
Standish Dobard
Beau Sandland
Danny Isidora

They need to make LEAPS. We need them to step up huge and be the difference makers. Again, I have nobody on DT to look forward to, and that's a concern. Especially when you realize the defense Dorito runs relies HEAVILY on DL talent. Hopefully this ex-murderer from California can come in and **** **** up, but we have to hit on these kids. And they have to develop.

If I have to watch Shayon Green and Renfrow rush the passer together again with their cinder block cleats I'm gonna throw up.

But most importantly, the most IMPORTANT thing for this program, is that Brad Kaaya or Kevin Olsen needs to be an elite QB. That's what separates teams in this age of football.

Advertisement
Miami has one loss in year #3 under Golden. He was handed a dumpster fire and an NCAA investigation that just finished. I think we're alright considering. I also seem to recall Miami only has 75 scholarship football players.

Miami is overachieving right now and it's all due to coaching. A couple of more recruiting classes and FSU is toast. FSU should be kicking our *** with all the talent they have. It doesn't help when your kicker is missing chip shots, your WR's are dropping passes and your QB is forcing passes that have no business being thrown.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Golden will get it done.

This loss is much easier to take when you put things in perspective. FSU has won the last four but if you look at the history......the last time they did the same was the late 90's. What our program has gone through in the last three years is much the same - probation or not. I think it's comparable. They might as well get their licks in while they can.

I'm not as bothered as maybe I should be. IMO - they only beat us when we have one hand tied behind our backs.

Advertisement
Agree with it all. It all boils down to your last point. Unless you are overwhelming people at every position like a Alabama, you are not going to be a real player on the national scene without an elite QB.

Last edited:
Its a coaching talent gap. Coley has to stop being vanilla and make adjustments. Coach D has to be agressive and stop with the bend don't break defense. Stop with with all the zone coverage when we have Gunter who can shut his man down one on one. Corners have to get hands on receivers not letting them go where they wanna go. As far as defending the run stop letting it come to you and blow it up with your linebackers. This is all we have to do because we have the same talent as florida state. Give them our players they would still win because of how they scheme.

Its a coaching talent gap. Coley has to stop being vanilla and make adjustments. Coach D has to be agressive and stop with the bend don't break defense. Stop with with all the zone coverage when we have Gunter who can shut his man down one on one. Corners have to get hands on receivers not letting them go where they wanna go. As far as defending the run stop letting it come to you and blow it up with your linebackers. This is all we have to do because we have the same talent as florida state. Give them our players they would still win because of how they scheme.

I despise D'Onofrio's scheme and wish Golden wasn't so close with him, because I think he needs to go.

I think we'd look better with a better DC, but I'm speaking strictly from a talent stand point.

Advertisement
I don't believe there is a huge gap except for a few positions. Unfortunately one of those positions is QB, not that Morris played god awful last night but our Sr. QB had to put the team on his back last night to win that game and it just didn't and IMO would not happen. He has been expose for being able to throw a deep ball but take that away and it just isn't there.

No, no we don't have the same talent as FSU. Miami is two recruiting classes away from having that kind of depth. Scheme and coaching have nothing to do with the loss last night. In fact, scheme and coaching is the only reason the Canes were in it at all at half time.

FSU is solid right now. Winston shows you how important the QB position truly is.

Pretty much what I was telling anyone that would listen last night....the clear difference is in the front 7 on defense and at QB. We need to be more athletic at LB and DE especially. We couldn't get any pressure last night from our base D, and our LBs outside of 52 just don't make plays.

On offense I think we are closer from an overall talent standpoint, but SM is just a below avg QB that throws a nice deep ball. He lacks any ability to make multiple reads, and his pre snap reads are questionable at best. You saw the difference, Winston is over hyped, but he makes great reads.

Not so much pure talent that it is depth. That's the real problem. We can't rely on upperclassmen, so it's shocking to me that we've been as good as we have this year. A credit to great coaching. Randy left no depth, and Golden's first class was pieced together in a month and some change. Hence so many JAG upperclassmen like Highsmith and Cornelius.

And then of course there's the other huge problem. Morris is awful. If FSU has Morris, they lose at least 2 games already. QB's change the game so dramatically. We need Olsen or Kaaya to pan out, though I have a lot of faith. I don't have much worries with Williams. He can't be worse than Morris. We have tons of talent on offense and I imagine he'll actually be able utilize it unlike Morris.

Advertisement
Last night had nothing to do with coaching we don't have the talent yet simple as that. Our lbs were exposed for being unathletic, and highsmith was exposed for being the bum that he is. We don't have what we need in the front 7 yet

Jimbo's in year four.

Golden's in year three.

Lets not forget FSU losing to NC State last year.

I agree about the talent, but the talent depth seems to be more of the underlining issue. When Miami was at its peak they cycled guys in and out without a hiccup. At this point it's just not there. What do you guys think?

Advertisement
Talent gap is there no doubt.

I'd say at least 2 more recruiting cycles and development cycles along with Juco's on the front 7 on defense.

QB position makes it look worse than it is.

Look, we had to be perfect to beat those ******s last night. Unfortunately hate to say it they've brought in more talent the last couple of years, while the Don was dealt an empty cupboard of talent :)ohlord:Thanks, Randy) and the ****** NcAA cloud hovering over our program. Not gonna say coaching and schemes are the problem until for a fact we have the talent and depth (and I mean good players) like these top tier teams have. I trust Al with the future makeup of our team and have no doubt that he will recruit and bring in the right players to get us back to where we need to be from a talent perspective. I hate losing (especially to those semihos) but we went into a modern war with muskets last night. I know some of these kids don't stack up but they're out bustin they *** and Coach is getting whatever he cans from all of them. At the end of the day we're still 7-1 and even though we lost Duke, smfh, let's trust the leadership of the Don to push us through the adversity. Nothing left to do but Cane on fellas. :stormwarning: :neonu:

The talent of the last 2 classes has been right there with FSU's, a couple holes at places like d tackle, and depth at safety and running back but that was mainly because of the NCAA bull****, IMO we will be fine talent wise in 2015, it's just a matter of seeing how the talent develops

Advertisement
Back