I felt the opposite in Dallas, although I certainly see your point. I turned to a friend when we got the ball at 6 minutes left and said "A good team ends the game on offense right here". I am aggressive by nature, but in a situation like that, when you're in full control on offense, you just squeeze the life out of the game. JMO. That's how I'd have played it, but it sure as **** didn't work, so I'm not saying that's the only or even the right way.
I do agree on the PA stuff last week. I said it several times, and if you missed my posts, I said many times how predictable we'd been on short yardage for essentially half the season. We didn't throw the ball on a single short yardage situation for literally 5 games. I can't even believe I'm writing that, but it's true. We did last week, so I was probably too harsh in the post you replied to. I don't think the offense is different, but I do think we at least broke some tendencies against NC State, so at a minimum, that should help.
2nd drive, 2nd and 2 from the 38, we took a deep shot to Toney. We had literally run the ball almost 30 straight times on a 2 or less to go situation.
Next play, we throw it again on 3rd and 2, again, something we didn't do ONCE for 5 games. First down to Marion.
Next drive, 3rd and 2, we throw to Moore. Incomplete. Mario probably wanted to shoot Dawson in the face because it didn't work, but ****, at least you're trying to do something different.
Other than that, we didn't really have any short yardage plays. I guess that's what happens when you have 20+ plays of 10 or more yards.
As you said, I'm very interested to see how they play these in tighter games against a good defense. Prior history tells us we're just going to turn and hand the ball to a back, and be thrilled if we gain 2 yards on 3rd and 1, or 3 yards on 2nd and 2.