The Young Prodigy

View as article

bradtejeda

Freshman
Premium
Just a few weeks ago, Canes fans heard about a weekend trip that ultimately led to 2022 4-star quarterback Jacurri Brown from Lowndes High in South Georgia committing to the University of Miami.

A closer look also suggests Jacurri didn’t act alone. In fact, he was joined by two other budding football sensations, including another highly-sought after target by the Canes in 2022 3-star athlete Isaiah Bond of Buford High in Georgia, plus thirteen-year old Trinity Christian Academy quarterback prodigy and Florida Class 3A state champion, Colin Hurley.

All three of these gridiron phenoms connected with each other as members of the DOMX “Beyond the Game” program - a grassroots organization centered on developing young student-athletes in all areas of life. Hurley joined both the ‘22 recruits on the trip and visited academic components of the UM campus, as well as indulging in some great Latin cuisine, sun and fun.

However, in whatever way one desires to view the trip, it was Hurley who likely understood “Bienvenida a Miami” most - he is originally from South Florida and he is no stranger to the history of the Miami Hurricanes’ program.

“I love watching Michael Irvin and Ray Lewis. Those are my two favorites,” Hurley said of UM. “Also D’Eriq King. I like how he is a leader on and off the field and everything he brings to the team.”

Brown and Bond are like big brothers to Hurley, and all had expressed an interest in helping children. This likely explained their visit to Big Brothers Big Sisters Miami, where they met with several prominent community leaders, including Chiefs of Police, Chief Executive Officers and the local Mayor. There, the group had a healthy and refreshing dialogue about South Florida and the need to do something beyond the game.

This was unlike any traditional “visit” by a recruit, and the backdrop likely helped to close the deal on Brown committing to the Hurricanes. Bond hasn’t decided yet, but Miami remains very high on his list - he will be making an “official” visit, in the near future. The fact all three of these young men possess ridiculous football prowess is a forgone conclusion, but it’s their character and desire to cement themselves into the community that is also very appealing for colleges.

So, the trip secured one recruit and could potentially lock in another, but it may be Hurley who is the wildcard. Just as DOMX has adopted a model which builds its brand organically, through developing older and younger athletes, the University of a Miami can embrace a similar stance. Hurley, who is part of the class of 2025, is not only Brown’s mentee, but also shows signs of being a generational athlete.

At 6’0” and weighing 200 pounds, Hurley already plays varsity football and is a top-ranked quarterback on a 18u national team. He is built like a superhero and has fictional strength, with a near 500-pound squat, 450-pound deadlift and 225-pound bench press - at 13 years old.

His arm could be classified as a howitzer cannon. He’s been clocked on a radar gun throwing a football at 54 mph (NFL QB’s throw at around 60 mph) and can heave it over 60 yards, with laser accuracy. Hurley also has a football IQ that some well-respected coaches claim isn’t common for freshmen in college to possess. He understands how to read a defense and has the confidence to back it up. Still, being so young to the game, Hurley recognizes that he has plenty of room for improvement.

“I have good mobility in the pocket, but I need to work on my speed,” Hurley said. “I want to get to the 4.5-4.6 range.”

Hurley’s day-to-day life is drastically different from the typical 13-year old. He wakes up every day at 6:00 am and trains at TORK Sports Performance - an elite facility located in Jacksonville, Florida where he lifts and throws with collegiate and professional football players like Ian Book, Nathan Peterman, Gardener Minshew, John Wolford and others, as well as Major League Baseball players. His diet and nutrition plan also includes a haul of roughly 4,000 calories per day. Hurley does all this while maintaining a strong relationship with God and a 3.96 GPA in honors classes.

“I watch a lot of Jalen Hurts,” Hurley said. “I love how he has faith in God. Love his work ethic in the gym. I’m a gym rat as well and love working out.”

All this explains why he already holds an offer from SEC program University of Mississippi and head coach Lane Kiffin. Suffice to say, Hurley could be a major piece to this puzzle and could symbolize how Miami galvanizes the QB position for the next 8 years. With Brown already committed and Bond potentially following suit, Hurley could be the long-term plan for Miami to build their program around.

Advertisement
GIF-dodgeball-jaw-drop-oh-my-shocked-surprised-sweet-Jesus-wow-GIF.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I really like that these young men look beyond football and themselves. It speaks volumes to the character they displayed in visiting Big Brother & Big Sisters of Miami. Not your typical visit. Look beyond the glamour into the fabric of the community.

Holy ****, it isn't often I get to agree with you and actually like one of your comments. I am printing this out and framing it!
Seriously though, you couldn't be more right!

Advertisement
Back