The Worst Stretch of UM Sports in My Adult Life

Advertisement
Football: 7-6 (3-5)
Baseball: Bounced in home regional
Basketball: Men’s and Women’s teams will miss the NCAAT, Men’s having started the season in the top 10.

train discover GIF
dont forget baseball then hired a failed pitching coach from a failed staff after a national coaching search. at least football recruiting has been elite despite the on field results and hoops recruiting for next year is top tier

Didn’t think Rad would be worse than Blake but here we are
hes at best a money manager/project manager but not really an AD in terms of having an eye for good coaches. he didnt make the mario hire, he lucked into inheriting L combined with L taking us two elite seasons. i dont blame the staff departures with football on him since hes not marios boss. i do blame him hiring JD as our baseball coach pretty much ending any hope of rebuilding a once great baseball power

Advertisement
hes at best a money manager/project manager but not really an AD in terms of having an eye for good coaches. he didnt make the mario hire, he lucked into inheriting L combined with L taking us two elite seasons. i dont blame the staff departures with football on him since hes not marios boss. i do blame him hiring JD as our baseball coach pretty much ending any hope of rebuilding a once great baseball power
And I think he had very little to do with the baseball hire given how deeply rooted the nepotism is with that program. The forthcoming basketball decision/succession plan will tell me everything I need to know.

And I think he had very little to do with the baseball hire given how deeply rooted the nepotism is with that program. The forthcoming basketball decision/succession plan will tell me everything I need to know.
No...Rad had everything to do with the hire. I like JD...Winningest pitcher in UM History, and I've known him since 1995. Not crazy about the hire, but In regards to Nepotism, what Nepotism???

I think we'll be pretty good this year, brother.

It'll be one of the most talented teams we've had in a long time and the bottleneck isn't the QB position (which it has been in the past for talented teams we've had). We should be a 10-2, 11-1 type of team next year.

Ts and Ps to the University to reach this lofty goal.

Talent wise, I agree. But until he proves otherwise, Cristobal is a gameday corch. If we beat UF, I think we will be 6-0 going into Louisville. We'll be riding high, but Cristobals corching + UM history tells me that we will be overdue for the idiotic game where UM is getting one stupid penalty after another, players are missing blocks they don't usually miss, and WRs are uncharacteristically dropping passes.

We drop the Louisville game, then have no momentum against FSU at home. FSU jumps out to a huge lead, we rally to take lead in 4th but lose due to something dumb, everyone claims it's a moral victory and that we're closing the gap on FSU.

We tell ourselves the season isn't over and we have a chance to make it the acc championship game. Final game of season against Syracuse- we have to beat them, and then need another team to lose and us to get into the acc championship game. Miracle happens and the team we need to lose loses. All we have to do is beat Syracuse and we'll get into the acc championship game. And then... well if you are a UM fan you know how this story ends.

Talent wise, I agree. But until he proves otherwise, Cristobal is a gameday corch. If we beat UF, I think we will be 6-0 going into Louisville. We'll be riding high, but Cristobals corching + UM history tells me that we will be overdue for the idiotic game where UM is getting one stupid penalty after another, players are missing blocks they don't usually miss, and WRs are uncharacteristically dropping passes.

We drop the Louisville game, then have no momentum against FSU at home. FSU jumps out to a huge lead, we rally to take lead in 4th but lose due to something dumb, everyone claims it's a moral victory and that we're closing the gap on FSU.

We tell ourselves the season isn't over and we have a chance to make it the acc championship game. Final game of season against Syracuse- we have to beat them, and then need another team to lose and us to get into the acc championship game. Miracle happens and the team we need to lose loses. All we have to do is beat Syracuse and we'll get into the acc championship game. And then... well if you are a UM fan you know how this story ends.
Cristobal is a corch at times, for sure.

But he's also got some conference championships and Top 5 finishes up his sleeve, too.

We got a quarterback now. That cleans up a lot of the bull****. Mario absolutely lost us Georgia Tech but TVD ate **** all game long, too. Maybe Mario would have ****ed it up in a different way, but just getting rid of that jabrone and getting a QB the quality of Cam Ward - a QB that has done so much with so little around him, truly...played at Incarnate Word and Wazzu...as much of a disparity in talent from QB to the rest of the team as you'll see...now he's coming to a team that has the best OL he's ever seen in his life, two of the top 3 returning receivers in the conference, and a run game with a ton of 4-star backs that have averaged over 5 a carry for most of their careers. ...and we're going to be active players to add another pass catcher in the next transfer window.

Maybe we can not be in positions this year that would put our coach in a position to do some corchin...perhaps that is the hope. This team seems like the best we will have fielded since the early 2000s. Perhaps it doesn't have a lingering 2-3 future Pro Football Hall of Famers like those Hester/Gore rosters or those Calais rosters, but its a better roster than many others we've had. The QB puts a lot of it over the top.

Advertisement
No...Rad had everything to do with the hire. I like JD...Winningest pitcher in UM History, and I've known him since 1995. Not crazy about the hire, but In regards to Nepotism, what Nepotism???
The presence of the DiMare family and the high likelihood prominent boosters wanted whoever Gino wanted

Looked at this thread title w/o my readers on and saw "stench" instead of "stretch", but it works just the same

Advertisement
It was a rough season but the one think I will always appreciate about Mario is that there isn't another man alive who will out work him when it comes too making this football program one of the best in the country. Now idk if he actually has the tools to get the job done but he will give everything he has to this job and I can respect that. If he fails it won't be for a lack of effort.

I thought Miami was a 9 win team last year. I didn’t allow Mario to lower my standards for the program.

Miami was a 10-win team last year if Tyler Van Dyke didn't up and forget how to read a zone defense. That kid single-handedly lost this team 3-4 games last year.

Advertisement
Fall 2011 into Spring 2012 has to be the worst.

Just suffered through four years of Randy Shannon to land Al Golden and weeks before that tie-wearing bozo coaches his first game, Shapirogate hits in August.

Canes suffer through 6-6 with that busted 3-4 defense and "the cloud" hovering all season with 'death penalty' chatter.... sit out a bowl game... roll into baseball for what should've been a good season... choke away ACC Championship game to Georgia Tech... get trounced and embarrassed in home regional as a one-seed by Stony Brook and Missouri State by a combined score of 22-4, only to see Morris get an extension... before basketball goes 20-13, gets bounced by FSU in the ACC Tourney and then loses in second round of NIT.

At least there's hope going into 2024 for football and basketball has a solid recruiting class coming in ... no comment on baseball, which looks like an extension of Morris' latter years with Arteaga replacing DiMare.

Miami was a 10-win team last year if Tyler Van Dyke didn't up and forget how to read a zone defense. That kid single-handedly lost this team 3-4 games last year.
Eh. That’s a stretch. They lost 4 games with Tyler. In two of them, the defense gave up 41 and 38 points respectively. They would have beaten GT regardless of not taking a knee if Van Dyke played better and NC state was a total **** of a game.

Advertisement
Back