The Worst Stretch of UM Sports in My Adult Life

Men's basketball advanced to the Final Four last season and the Elite Eight the year before.

I became a Big East basketball fan in the late 1970's when we didn't have a team for God's sake.

Now we're supposed to be John Wooden-era UCLA or something similar?

Tom Cruise What GIF
Agreed, try being on campus in the 70’s. JFC did we suck. Thank god they opened the Rat on campus. And, weed was cheap and flowing freely.🙌🏽

Advertisement
Advertisement
Football: 7-6 (3-5)
Baseball: Bounced in home regional
Basketball: Men’s and Women’s teams will miss the NCAAT, Men’s having started the season in the top 10.

train discover GIF
Football: 7-6 (again) sucks.
Baseball: This is a major travesty. DiMare put this team back a TON and it will take some time to get back anywhere near Omaha level.
Basketball: We were a hoops school for two years. It was fun, but felt like kissing my first girlfriend - I had no idea what I was doing.

What's the solution? Lower the expectations. Drink more. Take up yoga?

Advertisement
How you going to post about all those times when we're down bad while were up good right now on Greentree? Wait until the real offseason before making these things.

Definitely not, but I don’t think it’s crazy to say the team’s performance this season does not match the talent. Only 38 points against UVA was the fewest points scored by any UM team since the program was resurrected in 1985 and the lowest output by any Miami team since 1948. That’s pretty bad. They’ve underperformed most of the season.
Amazing what injuries can do to a solid roster. This team hasn’t had a stretch at any point where the key players were all relatively healthy. Tough to build a rotation, combine that with losing some key leaders and no one outside of Omier taking up that mantle, and you get a team that has dropped a ton of games that they have been winning over the last 2 years. You look at this team, they aren’t awful, just wildly inconsistent and unable to close out tough games.

Then again, considering that the typical Miami basketball fan didn’t know the program existed until 2 years ago, I’m not shocked people would be having these mopey *** posts. This season is frustrating, but to us long time hoops supporters this isn’t nearly as bad aa we’ve seen. Plus, with the incoming recruiting class, returning talent and likely heavy portal activity, this team will likely be vastly improved this fall.

Advertisement
Amazing what injuries can do to a solid roster. This team hasn’t had a stretch at any point where the key players were all relatively healthy. Tough to build a rotation, combine that with losing some key leaders and no one outside of Omier taking up that mantle, and you get a team that has dropped a ton of games that they have been winning over the last 2 years. You look at this team, they aren’t awful, just wildly inconsistent and unable to close out tough games.

Then again, considering that the typical Miami basketball fan didn’t know the program existed until 2 years ago, I’m not shocked people would be having these mopey *** posts. This season is frustrating, but to us long time hoops supporters this isn’t nearly as bad aa we’ve seen. Plus, with the incoming recruiting class, returning talent and likely heavy portal activity, this team will likely be vastly improved this fall.
I agree with you, though I'm not a new basketball fan at all. I still feel even some of the tough years we had previously somehow didn't feel as bad as this one. Those teams were at least exciting to watch and you wanted to root for them. But yes looking forward to the new additions for next season.

If the cost of the elite eight/final four runs was a down year I’ll take it. I don’t know if Mario or Artega will ever do anything worthwhile. But L has built, dismantled, rebuilt, tore down to nothing, and rebuilt in his career here. My only worry with Coach L is him retiring.

Advertisement
Disagree that 'many' thought we'd win 9 or 10 games in football. I think most would have been happy with 8 and we basically did if you take away the kneel game. Also show me where basketball ranked in the top 5 to start the year.

Per the poll below, it seems ~40% of CIS was thinking 9 or 10 (or -- yikes -- more) wins in 2023.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't have been "happy" with 8 wins last season, but I probably would have been content with 8 wins (and assuming no embarrassing kneel situation that shakes all faith in the coaching staff's gameday competence).

Football: 7-6 (3-5)
Baseball: Bounced in home regional
Basketball: Men’s and Women’s teams will miss the NCAAT, Men’s having started the season in the top 10.

train discover GIF
Turn that frown upside down.

I think you need to see what an opportunity this provides you in getting to know your fellow porsters in a deeply personal way.

Advertisement
Back