The Work: South Florida Express Edition

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
TheWork.jpg

**The talk at South Florida Express tryout’s was that Jordan Scarlett is as good as gone for Miami. I spoke to a number of people in the know on Scarlett, and all of them said they would be shocked if he stuck with the Canes at this point. That would eventually leave Miami with only Mark Walton committed at the position. Miami reached out to Jordan Cronkrite last week to gauge possible interest. Jorge Baez, James Coley, and Hurlie Brown were in touch with the family, but I’m told that as of now there is not interest from Cronkrite to rejoin the class. The way that things went down prior to his decommitment are making it difficult for the fences to be mended this late in the process.

**The confidence level on Antonio Calloway has risen over the past week or so. I’m told that Brad Kaaya has made a very positive impact on the recruitment for Miami and Calloway feels like the Canes will give him an opportunity to step on the field early.

**A couple kids to keep a close eye on down the stretch are Rashad Fenton and Adrienne Talan. Both prospects remain heavily on Miami’s radar and could receive an offer in the coming weeks. Mohamed Barry (Kansas State commit) and Saleem Brightwell are higher priorities at linebacker right now for the Canes.

**An interesting response that I received when talking to high school coaches at the Express tryouts over the weekend when I asked about what Miami could do to improve their recruiting efforts in South Florida is that the staff needs to do a better job identifying who exactly needs to be “recruited”. What do they mean by that? Multiple coaches said that in other places, Miami is able to go up and recruit a kid and their parents. But in South Florida, a recruit’s parents might not have any true pull in the recruitment. It might be a “cousin”, an uncle, a family friend, or whatever. Miami's difficulty in convincing the people who have an impact on kids down here has come back to hurt them.

**Here are some kids who caught my attention during Saturday’s showcase:

2017 Carol City LB De’Andre Wilder - http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3407581/deandre-wilder
Wilder was one of the most physically imposing kids there at about 6-3, 205-pounds…and he is a sophomore. Wilder normally plays more of a rush end role for the Chiefs, but he was being asked to cover on Saturday and was not completely out of place. His length and explosive step at such a young age are reminiscent of what Matthew Thomas brought to Booker T. early in his career. I am very excited to track his progression over the next few months because it already looked like he had put on weight from the season.

2016 Miami High ATH Keyshawn “Pie” Young – http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3571801/highlights/171341375
“Pie” will be one of the fastest risers throughout the camp circuit in my opinion due to his flashy nature and game-breaking ability. Young can really play either side of the ball, but shines with the ball in his hands. His ability as a route runner is fun to watch.

2018 Flanagan WR Marvin Alexander –
This is a prospect who looks very impressive when you first see him walking around at 6-2/6-3 as a freshman in high school. Alexander is a long strider and looked particularly smooth for his size. One to watch.

2017 American Heritage CB Marco Wilson – http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4267155/highlights/218615377
The brother of Florida Gator CB Quincy Wilson, Marco is a special player at his age. Not only does he have the physical ability to be a big-time prospect, but he is extremely fundamentally sound as well.

2017 Miramar DB Brian Edwards – http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4720704/brian-edwards

The 6-4,185-pound Edwards is committed to Louisville already, but the Canes have offered. He looks like an absolutely special talent who has incredible hips for his size. He will hold an offer from every school in the country by the summer.

2016 Booker T. Washington CB Dontye Carriere-Williams – http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3857509/dontye-carriere-williams
What DCW lacks in sheer size, he makes up for with tremendous cover skills. He will really excel at the next level in covering electric slot guys who can hurt you across the middle of the field. Impressive ball skills as well.

2018 American Heritage DB Patrick Surtain, Jr. – http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4267348/patrick-surtain-ii
Has the look of a potential 5-star down the road.

2017 Mater Academy DB Latavious Brini – http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2801889/highlights/178173376
Intriguing size at 6-2 and just turned 16.

2016 Norland LB Emmett Rice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsUSYEKI_I#t=21

One of my personal favorites from Saturday, Rice looks like your typical South Florida tweener rush prospect who might not weigh as much as you would like, but has a freakish frame and quick-twitch ability that is such a prized combination. That 1-minute video of him is fun to watch.

2016 Ely WR Leonard Warren –
There must be something in the water up there in Pompano Beach because they just keep churning out these big-bodied receivers. Warren stands at about 6-3/6-4 with a massive wingspan.

2017 Hallandale ATH Dontavious Butler –
6-1 and well put together. Has a division-1 body already and good hands.

2017 Cardinal Gibbons DB Daniel Wright –
Brother of NFL safety and former STA/UF player Major Wright. Dan looks like he will follow in his brother’s footsteps as a huge recruit. Has speed and size at 6-2.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We know how this is gonna play out in Talan's case. "Pushing out" Williams to keep Scarlett and Walton was a dumb story to put out there to begin with by the staff and now that Scarlett is gone it just gets better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My only question is why haven't you changed the title of these to "Get Worked"?

Hasn't that been the story in SFla for awhile now, Not just Golden but RS couldn't get the kids " mentors" to buy into the program... Unfortunately things won't change until we start winning again

**A couple kids to keep a close eye on down the stretch are Rashad Fenton and Adrienne Talan. Both prospects remain heavily on Miami’s radar and could receive an offer in the coming weeks.'

Now this makes me happy but they should have had offers longgg time ago.

Advertisement
Advertisement
like i said, if you want to hold on to elite prospects from your turf, don't lose 4 straight in embarrassing fashion and drain all faith in the program from the fans.

The "SFLA handlers" can smell BS with all as they are all BS too. We all know the saying when it comes to BS'ers. Al and staff failed to adjust to the environment with SFLA recruiting the same way the fail to adjust with their current personnel on the field. Not surprising that they continue to use the "Well, it worked at Temple so it'll work at Miami approach"

**A couple kids to keep a close eye on down the stretch are Rashad Fenton and Adrienne Talan. Both prospects remain heavily on Miami’s radar and could receive an offer in the coming weeks.'

Now this makes me happy but they should have had offers longgg time ago.

A couple weeks from now they could be offered? I guess we are talking Skai Moore NSD type offers?

**An interesting response that I received when talking to high school coaches at the Express tryouts over the weekend when I asked about what Miami could do to improve their recruiting efforts in South Florida is that the staff needs to do a better job identifying who exactly needs to be “recruited”. What do they mean by that? Multiple coaches said that in other places, Miami is able to go up and recruit a kid and their parents. But in South Florida, a recruit’s parents might not have any true pull in the recruitment. It might be a “cousin”, an uncle, a family friend, or whatever. Miami's difficulty in convincing the people who have an impact on kids down here has come back to hurt them.

So basically Miami needs to start paying people

Advertisement
Back