The Work: Miami-FSU Week

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
TheWork.jpg

**Starting with the bad news for Miami – C.J. Henderson decommitted today as I mentioned last week was probably coming. Canes coaches have sensed for some time that this was coming; it just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to them. Not only was Miami the first major program to make Henderson a priority, but they had to talk him out of decommitting over the summer as well. After multiple campus trips, he stayed committed but sources close to the situation say that his teammates Trajan Bandy and Josh Jobe have known for a bit that Henderson was headed elsewhere. His likely landing spot is Florida.

Who does Miami look at now as possible replacements? Latavious Brini (UGA commit) and Antwan Collier (Illinois commit) are two targets that I see as possibilities. The Canes were on Brini and he was giving the staff indications he would commit before sort of pulling a fast one on them by committing to Georgia after attending a camp up there. That surprised Canes coaches, but they didn’t necessarily view it as a major loss at the time considering Trajan Bandy was about to jump on board, as well as Brian Edwards. Now with Henderson gone, Brini becomes somewhat of a priority once again. He will be at Hard Rock stadium on Saturday night for Miami-FSU.

Antwan Collier of Southridge is a long cornerback with ball skills and some speed. Collier played quarterback at Killian last year and plays primarily cornerback this season as a transfer at Southridge. He reminds me a lot of Sheldrick Redwine coming out of Killian two years ago and I actually think Collier is a better prospect than Redwine.

[VINE]56djbEiVh1p[/VINE]

[VINE]56djHqZD2FH[/VINE]

**Now that was the disappointing news if you’re a Canes fan, but the major positive is that Miami has a chance to cement themselves in the minds of recruits this week with a win over Florida State. Take a look at the list of expected visiting recruits here (@Geo305 and I have been posting updates on Twitter as well). Also shout out to Geo for maintaining and updating the list on the link below. I suggest refreshing that page throughout the week as we continue to add names.
https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/miami-vs-fsu-10-8-16-visitor-list/102203

CB Trajan Bandy – Columbus
Solid commit.

[VINE]5JJipVuiwb9[/VINE]

CB/S Latavious Brini - Mater Academy
Miami attempting to flip from Georgia.

ATH Deejay Dallas - Glynn Academy (GA)
Solid commit.

WR Kevaughn Dingle - Carol City
Solid commit.

[TWEET]782635031269224448[/TWEET]

LB Breon Dixon - Grayson (GA)
Recent offer at linebacker. Could be Miami’s answer as they look to possibly add a third LB to the class along with Jennings and Steed.

CB/S Brian Edwards – Miramar
Solid commit.

DT Jonathan Ford – Dillard
Solid commit.

OL Kai-Leon Herbert - American Heritage
Michigan commit. Unlikely that Miami flips him but they’re sticking around in the conversation.

OL Zalontae Hillery - Glynn Academy (GA)
Solid commit. Deejay Dallas’ teammate who committed at Paradise Camp.

WR Jeremiah Holloman - Newton (GA)
Massive wide receiver target who Deejay Dallas is confident will become a Cane. I still say that in-state UGA will be very tough t beat. This is his official visit.

[TWEET]783093094459637760[/TWEET]

LB Bradley Jennings Jr. – Sandalwood
Solid commit. Flipped from Florida State in August.

RB Anthony McFarland Jr. - DeMatha Catholic (MD)
Running back target who has a strong relationship with Thomas Brown from his Georgia days. Canes battling Maryland and ‘Bama here, but the hometown Terps are trending. He took an unofficial visit to Miami back in May so this is his first time back in a while. This is big for the Canes.

TE Tre McKitty - IMG Academy
Was committed to Miami in June of 2015. Is currently an Oregon commit.

WR Evidence Njoku - Wayne Hills (NJ) (Miami Legacy)
Solid commit.

OL Tedarrell Slaton - American Heritage
Miami trending up here. Richt wants him and they have a good relationship. Has not visited campus in a long time so getting him to this game is huge. Let’s see if he shows up.

S/ATH Derrick Smith - Trinity Christian
Miami has been talking to him for a while but does not appear to be a take right now.

DE Jordan Wright – Dillard
Miami’s status with him is in the air a bit. They thought he would hop on board back in the spring but he still hasn’t pulled the trigger. Canes picked up Jon Garvin and D.J. Johnson in that time frame at Wright’s position so it could come down to if they want him or not.

LB Kenny Bastida - Deerfield Beach
LSU and UNC offers but Canes haven’t offered yet.

WR Jacob Copeland - Pine Forest
Arguably the top receiver in the state next class. He really likes Miami according to a source close to him.

RB Chris Curry - Lehigh (Miami Legacy)
Has had a big high school season thus far, going over 300 yards in a game recently. Big target at running back who visited a practice during fall camp.

WR/ATH Lamont Finnie - Miami Edison (Miami Legacy)
I wrote about Finnie last week as a breakout star in south Florida this season. Has a couple offers now but looks like a 4-star caliber athlete.

My story on Finnie from last week: https://www.canesinsight.com/articles/2018-finnie-chance/3169

S/ATH Gurvan Hall - Palm Beach Lakes
Could turn out to be the best in his class at safety. Yes, he’s that good.

Check out Hall here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/canes/101939?highlight=gurvan+hall

DE/LB Robert Hicks - Booker T. Washington
Undersized pass rusher who was previously committed to Miami. Don’t think he’s a take right now.

CB DJ Ivey - South Dade
Solid commit who jumped on board over the summer.

S Nadab Joseph - Miami Edison
LSU commit who is looking hard at Miami if the Canes end up offering. Was at a Miami practice during fall camp.

RB Lorenzo Lingard - University High
5-star back who Miami has made a priority early.

DT Taron Vincent - IMG Academy
5-star prospect with national programs after him. Unsure of his interest in Miami at this point.

WR/ATH Xavier Williams - Chaminade-Madonna
Must-get local athlete who was a top performer at paradise camp over the summer.

ATH Montavious Brini - Mater Academy
Younger brother of Latavious Brini.

ATH Demetries Ford - Westminster Christian
WCS speedster

LB Diamante Howard - Southridge (Miami Legacy)
Hurricanes commit.

RB/S Kenny McIntosh - University School (Miami Legacy)
Younger brother of R.J. McIntosh

RB/S Mark-Antony Richards - Wellington (Miami Legacy)
Younger brother of Ahmmon Richards.

OL Antonio “Tank” Serrano - Belen Jesuit
Standout performer from Miami camp over the summer.

RB Don Chaney Jr. - Belen Jesuit (Miami Legacy)
Looking like a potential 5-star down the road. Chaney has been a man amongst boys this season.

S/ATH Avantae Williams – DeLand
Already holds Miami and UF offers as a freshman.

**I’ve been posting some clips of Navaughn Donaldson recently to give you guys an idea of the type of athlete that Miami is getting at offensive line. This week, I exchanged messages with an opposing high school coach who has been studying film of Donaldson and I just wanted to share that coach’s thoughts.

This coach told me that Donaldson is that best player (any position) that he has seen on film in south Florida this season. Not only that, but this coach has watched 5-star linemen Calvin Ashley and Alex Leatherwood in person recently and said that Donaldson belongs right there with both as a 5-star recruit and thinks he is a better prospect than Ashley.

We all know that Miami is getting a stud who will probably start day one, but hearing it from all sides makes you very excited about his future.

[TWEET]782755558050914304[/TWEET]

**Speaking of Alabama commitment Alex Leatherwood, he was initially slated to come to the game this week with Jacob Copeland (2018 Pine Forest WR), but his father wanted them to go to the UF-LSU game. It’s unfortunate for the Canes that they won’t get him down for what will be the biggest environment of the season, but Leatherwood still plans on taking an official visit to Coral Gables. Miami offensive line coach Stacy Searels continues to push early playing time as a key selling point.

**Safety target Amari Carter will announce his decision on October 22nd according to 247sports. It is essentially down to Miami and Notre Dame and I would be shocked if it isn’t the Canes. Carter has been a Hurricanes lean for some time now, specifically after the paradise camp where his mom and brother made the trip down from West Palm Beach.

[TWEET]774463038556631040[/TWEET]

Advertisement
Not sure I follow? Both aren't coming or its just Leatherwood...

*Speaking of Alabama commitment Alex Leatherwood, he was initially slated to come to the game this week with Jacob Copeland (2018 Pine Forest WR), but his father wanted them to go to the UF-LSU game.

Just to touch on what Peter said about Henderson. Trajan and Jobe both knew it was coming. I don't see Miami giving up on Henderson, Henderson likes Miami and The Canes have two of his teammates committed. It's anyones game now. I don't see him committing until signing day or the Under Armor game. If i had to guess its 60% UF 40% Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement

This hit deserves its own thread. Holy ****. Feel bad for the kid. Turn that **** into GIF!! He doubled back to pick up the fumble with a dead body next to him. Straight savage, no ***** given.

Me and Dmoney have a whole thread on him. I'll add it.

He's really close with Amari Carter as well. Miami likes Gurvan a lot.

Been raving about Gurvan for a few months now. So **** fast, explosive and violent. Had 6 picks last season as well.

Avantae Williams is Lingard younger cousin. I would pretty much lean to say he's a big Miami lean, have known him for a little while now. Have mentioned him in a couple threads in the past. Possibly the best safety in the country in his class.

Nadab came to practice in the fall and he was at the first two games.
[MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION] I think you're thinking of Billy Joseph. Robert Hicks was committed to Auburn.

Chris Curry had two back to back 314 yard games this season. Have mentioned him a couple times. He's Najeh cousin.

Also, I have 20+ updates coming to the visitor thread right now within the next hour so tune in there. More goodness.

Advertisement
I can't wait for UF to get embarrassed. I'm getting really tired of them.

It's apparent that we're held to a totally different standard w/ some of these local recruits. It's like the total opposite of how it should be and is with most other kids where they give their home town team a pass. With us, it seems whatever happens, it's magnified by 1000, and if it happens to another school, they are myopic to it.

UF has a bad/disappointing season? Oh well. Mac gonna turn that around.
We have a bad/disappointing season? Man, I gotta feed the fam. I'll always be a UM fan, tho.

SEC schools calling kids the n-word,dressing up in black face, banning them from parties, waving the Confederate flag? Pfft. They show love at the games, tho. It just feels like home.
99% of UM fans show love to a recruit online. 1 fan gets out of line? Man, UM fans the worse.

Other schools putting players in the league? They put guys in the pros.
You point out we're STILL putting more guys in the pro, and they're outperforming the other guys? Yeah, but UF/LSU is DBU, tho. I saw it on a football.

Sometimes, there's just no rhyme or reason.

Advertisement

It's apparent that we're held to a totally different standard w/ some of these local recruits. It's like the total opposite of how it should be and is with most other kids where they give their home town team a pass. With us, it seems whatever happens, it's magnified by 1000, and if it happens to another school, they are myopic to it.

We have a bad/disappointing season? Man, I gotta feed the fam. I'll always be a UM fan, tho.

SEC schools calling kids the n-word,dressing up in black face, banning them from parties, waving the Confederate flag? Pfft. They show love at the games, tho. It just feels like home.
99% of UM fans show love to a recruit online. 1 fan gets out of line? Man, UM fans the worse.

You point out we're STILL putting more guys in the pro, and they're outperforming the other guys? Yeah, but UF/LSU is DBU, tho. I saw it on a football.

They're just looking for a public excuse to leave.

Privately we all know what's happening.

This was a good week for Henderson to jump off,how dumb would he look if he did it after we beat FSU and go on a run for the acc.

This is the reason I can't understand how people are naive enough to think that money from the SEC and FSU/Clemson/etc is not a thing in recruiting. No other explanation.

Not saying every kid receives money, but they've all heard of where it comes from, what schools give it, and are just waiting and trying (or their family members are ) to get a piece of it.

Eh, keep in mind UM hasn't been relevant since these kids were old enough to know what football is. Not only that, we were jokes with clappy, radio and gluten running the program. Meanwhile UF has two titles in that time, and plays in the SEC. Not so recent any more but for the current crop of kids, '08 is a lot more rememberable than '01.

As for $, that might be relevant sometimes but IMO it's unfair to speculate. And a kid who picks UF because his dad is friends with randy shannon isn't suspicious on that account. Not the same as some kid bolting to auburn early in the process because ... Well, because.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back