The Work - Canes Camp #5

how bout artie's comment basically saying until KB got here, they had no coaching at WR

Advertisement
--Golden said he believes it is more difficult for a defense to have to defend just one speed, which is why he does not want the offense to just go full speed ahead every play.

“I think from our standpoint, just being a defensive coordinator, it’s much harder to defend multiple tempos than it is to defend one tempo. So I believe in multiple tempos, multiple groupings.”

View attachment 31174
Can we please stop beginning every piece with al golden quotes? It makes it difficult to get to the rest of the article.

Yes, please stop.

But I must say that piece was redeemed with its multiple quotes of players on other players' strengths and what they could work on. That provides tremendous levity and a realer picture of where these canes really stand.

I just wish there'd been more info on players weights, calories , muscle milk ......etc.

Last edited:
Good news, we've always been "multiple" on defense but now we're multiple on offense as well. You combine this with the fact that this team is bending well so early in camp, I'm ready to go all in on this season.

The "bending" concept comes from Al and dorito's time at PSU. The LB coach there focused a lot on how players bent

Advertisement
Everyone seems to be hyping Gauthier and St. Louis right now. In a few years having an OL of St. Louis, McDermott, Linder, Gauthier, Darling is going to be scary good. Add in Milo if he turns out to be as good as I think he will be after a RS year (and he gets up to 300-310 lbs).

Add in Mahoney, Jones, Loftus and a few more in the rotation and that's going to be a strong unit maybe not 2016 but 2017 for sure.

The tempo stuff being spewed by Golden is BS. He wants to control clock and protect the defense. Conservative/scared football at #TheU .

Advertisement
The tempo stuff being spewed by Golden is BS. He wants to control clock and protect the defense. Conservative/scared football at #TheU .

What's funny is the horse**** excuse he gave as to why.

“I think from our standpoint, just being a defensive coordinator, it’s much harder to defend multiple tempos than it is to defend one tempo. So I believe in multiple tempos, multiple groupings.”

Uptempo spread offenses have destroyed defenses in college football. It has guys like the great Nick Saban shell-shocked. But in Golden's excuse land, it's much harder to defend an offense that plays at a snail's pace. Yeah, I'm sure giving your guys time to catch their breath, letting you make substitutions and get aligned correctly is a DC's worst nightmare.

Dude is a clown. He wants to protect him and his buddy's defense at all costs.

Last edited:
“I’m not interested in that (tempo)."

This dude is so out of touch with both his recruiting ground and the current state of college football.

agree, but disagree that it has to do with the tempo question. The reason he wont speed it up is because he wants to keep his defense off the field as much as possible. Slower tempo = less possessions = masking that your defense is ****

Advertisement
The tempo answer from Gold is enough to fire him on the spot. South Florida kids love a vanilla offense. This guy is an idiot and what his love for using half names

Advertisement
you wanna know why we run a slow paced offense? to protect a inept defense. it's no wonder that we moved up to 15th in total defense last year due to a slow, anemic offense...however, as i've explained before, that 15th total defense was hecka misleading b/c we bombed in many of the major categories that, you know, wins football games. 6-7 as a result.

remember, golden will always be smarter than us. forget that we've watched the canes since birth, for most of us on here; apparently, running "multiple paced" offenses keep opposing defenses off guard. who knew? i guess the only reason why we went 6-7 last year was b/c we weren't multi-faceted enough on offense??

Goldens statements just make him the dumbest coach out there to think that defenses have a harder time defending multiple tempo teams. **** Saban himself *****ed and complained how he couldn't defend against up tempo teams and wanted the NCAA to tell offenses to slow down. Laughing stock again when Golden mentions that he was a defensive coordinator.

the idea that pace automatically equates to good offense is stupid. ohio state was not a fast paced team last year. florida state was not a fast paced team in 2013. alabama has never been fast. stanford has never been fast. wisconsin has never been fast. all these teams have good offenses. you can have a very good offense in college w/o playing fast. playing fast for the sake of playing fast doesn't really accomplish anything.

and, btw, most people in this thread don't understand why you would go fast, and in fact have it backwards. if you have a bad defense, you actually want more plays, because it introduces more randomness and chance into the game. this is why no huddle & spread offenses started at smaller schools with less talent, because it was a way of trying to even out the game. this is also, i assume, why golden ran some no huddle when stephen morris was the quarterback. our defense was bad, and you don't want a slow game when you have a bad defense.

last year, our defense was better. some stats even say it was good (like a lot of you, i'm less sold on that notion, though far more positive than most detractors here). part of the reason why we played so slowly was because of a freshman qb, but it was also because the defense was solid.

in the grand scheme of things, pace of play isn't really that important. if the offense executes well on every play, it doesn't really matter if you go fast or slow.

Advertisement
Back