The Work 8-9: Fall Camp Edition

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**Starting with the position that has everybody's attention, it is apparent that this is a two-man race between Jake Heaps and Brad Kaaya, which is not necessarily a surprise. The surprise has been Kaaya jumping out to what some believe to be a lead for him in the competition. As I have said for some time, Miami was going to give Kaaya a legitimate opportunity to win this job and so far he has seized the chance. There is no doubt that Kaaya is the most physically talented quarterback on the roster, but his exceptional pocket presence at this stage of his career is what has caught people by surprise. His command of the offense has also been a major part of his early success. By no means has Kaaya won the job yet, but he could be on his way to doing that if he keeps it up. Heaps has not been "bad" as some reports suggest, but Kaaya has just been flashing more ability than him, while being more consistent as well.

**One of the top things that has stood out early in camp is the team speed on the defensive side of the ball. "The defense is freakishly fast right now," a source said. The versatility and speed and linebacker and safety will give Mark D'Onofrio more creativity than the last 3 years.

**Coaches are absolutely thrilled by the depth and progress of the safety position. This is the deepest they have been since 01-04. Marques Gayot has carried over his summer performances and continues to impress. "He's a killer," said source. Dallas Crawford is also picking up where he left off in the spring and will be a nice piece for D'Onofrio.

**The Booker T. Washington freshman duo of Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson has lived up to any and all expectations that were had of them before camp. Chad Thomas is blowing coaches away through week 1. I would not be surprised to see him start come the Louisville game. Demetrius Jackson is ready to contribute as well. He is up near 240 and has retained his explosive ability that got Miami excited in the first place. He will most likely see the field situationally this year and has potential on special teams as well.

**Rashawn Scott and Malcolm Lewis are two receivers that have shined this week, which is a very good sign for this offense. Scott seems locked in and is in the best physical shape of his career at Miami. He is up in weight from last season and carrying it very well. Lewis is 100% back from his ankle injury and has probably been the best WR from the 1st week. Braxton Berrios will not be redshirted. James Coley will get him involved. Great week for him with several highlight plays.

**There was talk back in the Spring about Juwon Young being physically ready, but not having it upstairs yet. It seems like he has already improved upon his spring and looks adjusted to the tempo of the college game. Darrion Owens is building on his strong spring as well.

**There was a rumor before camp began that Anthony Chickillo had a serious foot injury, but if that is the case then it is not showing. He has been excellent. A consistent year from him would do wonders for this defense.

**Standish Dobard appears slimmed down and has been impressive catching the ball. Would not be surprised to see him on the field more than Sandland this season opposite Walford.

**Trayone Gray is every bit of the 220 that he weighed in at. Miami got a huge steal with him. He has worked primarily with the running backs. His hands are not consistent enough right now, but when he has touched the ball he has shown his special ability.

**Quick recruiting note - Carlton Davis will be announcing his decision on Tuesday night on the SFHSSPORTS Gridiron Report on 560 WQAM, the same show that Sam Bruce chose the Canes on. Miami has been on the physical DB hard and is one of the staff's favorite prospects this cycle. Miami has a good shot here. He is choosing between the Canes, Ohio State, and South Carolina.

Advertisement
Whoooo boy I'm feeling it man

koolaid5b.jpg

Advertisement
Great stuff Pete. I want to see this changed D on the field before I get too excited but cautiously optimistic.

who has not looked good in camp besides olsen? there have to be some players besides him who are not living up to expectations because everyone is talking about this team like it's a top 10 team

**Starting with the position that has everybody's attention, it is apparent that this is a two-man race between Jake Heaps and Brad Kaaya, which is not necessarily a surprise. The surprise has been Kaaya jumping out to what some believe to be a lead for him in the competition. As I have said for some time, Miami was going to give Kaaya a legitimate opportunity to win this job and so far he has seized the chance. There is no doubt that Kaaya is the most physically talented quarterback on the roster, but his exceptional pocket presence at this stage of his career is what has caught people by surprise. His command of the offense has also been a major part of his early success. By no means has Kaaya won the job yet, but he could be on his way to doing that if he keeps it up. Heaps has not been "bad" as some reports suggest, but Kaaya has just been flashing more ability than him, while being more consistent as well.

**One of the top things that has stood out early in camp is the team speed on the defensive side of the ball. "The defense is freakishly fast right now," a source said. The versatility and speed and linebacker and safety will give Mark D'Onofrio more creativity than the last 3 years.

**Coaches are absolutely thrilled by the depth and progress of the safety position. This is the deepest they have been since 01-04. Marques Gayot has carried over his summer performances and continues to impress. "He's a killer," said source. Dallas Crawford is also picking up where he left off in the spring and will be a nice piece for D'Onofrio.

**The Booker T. Washington freshman duo of Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson has lived up to any and all expectations that were had of them before camp. Chad Thomas is blowing coaches away through week 1. I would not be surprised to see him start come the Louisville game. Demetrius Jackson is ready to contribute as well. He is up near 240 and has retained his explosive ability that got Miami excited in the first place. He will most likely see the field situationally this year and has potential on special teams as well.

**Rashawn Scott and Malcolm Lewis are two receivers that have shined this week, which is a very good sign for this offense. Scott seems locked in and is in the best physical shape of his career at Miami. He is up in weight from last season and carrying it very well. Lewis is 100% back from his ankle injury and has probably been the best WR from the 1st week. Braxton Berrios will not be redshirted. James Coley will get him involved. Great week for him with several highlight plays.

**There was talk back in the Spring about Juwon Young being physically ready, but not having it upstairs yet. It seems like he has already improved upon his spring and looks adjusted to the tempo of the college game. Darrion Owens is building on his strong spring as well.

**There was a rumor before camp began that Anthony Chickillo had a serious foot injury, but if that is the case then it is not showing. He has been excellent. A consistent year from him would do wonders for this defense.

**Standish Dobard appears slimmed down and has been impressive catching the ball. Would not be surprised to see him on the field more than Sandland this season opposite Walford.

**Trayone Gray is every bit of the 220 that he weighed in at. Miami got a huge steal with him. He has worked primarily with the running backs. His hands are not consistent enough right now, but when he has touched the ball he has shown his special ability.

**Quick recruiting note - Carlton Davis will be announcing his decision on Tuesday night on the SFHSSPORTS Gridiron Report on 560 WQAM, the same show that Sam Bruce chose the Canes on. Miami has been on the physical DB hard and is one of the staff's favorite prospects this cycle. Miami has a good shot here. He is choosing between the Canes, Ohio State, and South Carolina.

257.gif

Advertisement
I haven't been a big fan of D'Onofrio one bit. But I do hope that he makes all of us eat crow by season's end. I definitely do not disagree with the notion that he has more tools to work with this upcoming season. No more excuses.

Advertisement
Chad Thomas is going to be a absolute monster. Going to get up to like 280, have the athleticism to rush the passer and stop the run. Good luck trying to stop that kid his jr year.

How has Yearby looked? I like Gus but it would be great for Dukes health if Yearby can be a consistent option.

Advertisement
Great stuff Pete. I want to see this changed D on the field before I get too excited but cautiously optimistic.

For sure. No doubt there's more flat out talent and raw ability than we've seen in some time. We've got some savages in the younger ranks. Also great news on Berrios and Gayot. Gayot really got overlooked especially when Hester came on board but he had a very impressive look to him as well. WR is a **** of a group to try and crack but honestly there's things Berrios can do that our others guys can't. He has freakish athleticism and his absurd short shuttle times reflect that. Can't wait.

By no means has Kaaya won the job yet, but he could be on his way to doing that if he keeps it up. Heaps has not been "bad" as some reports suggest, but Kaaya has just been flashing more ability than him, while being more consistent as well.
258.gif

Pete is in LOVE……… lol "slow down" kid looks very good so far.

I have been trying to to get my hopes up too much for this season, but this report is making it hard. It seems like it is not unrealistic to think we could really surprise people this year of we can somehow get good production out of the QB position.

Advertisement
Back