The Work 7-24

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**Florida State has made a major move with JaQuan Johnson after his visit there last week. FSU had never really been a true contender for him before the visit, but that has changed. I'm told that Johnson was feeling the environment in Tallahassee. Tim Irvin remains a key to Johnson's recruitment. Irvin will be visiting Miami again once the coaches get back in town.

**Nobody would be surprised if Mark Walton were to decommit from Miami at this point. As I've posted for about a month now, Miami has recruited him as a 2016 kid and have been content with their current hail at running back for the 2015 class. Miami obviously wants Walton, but the uncertainty of his reclassification status has made makes the situation tricky. Also, I'm told that reports that Golden was not answering Walton's calls were false. "Golden doesn't reject people's calls."

**I reported last week that the Cronkrites would be meeting the staff this week to work through any lingering issues, but that meeting has not happened yet because Golden wants to be in town for it. This is still expected to take place soon and things continue to trend upward as far as the chances Cronkrite stick. Ohio State has been persistent in trying to get Cronkrite up to visit during the summer, but still nothing has been planned.

**Over the past few months, I have not been shy in saying that Trayone Gray qualifying would be a long shot. Over the past month though, Miami had changed their tune to "cautiously optimistic". Now, they are full out expecting not only Trayone Gray, but Darrell Langham to both be here by the start of camp. I'm not sure I can put into words how big of a pull Gray would be. The guy is supremely talented but some schools stayed away because of grades issues. This would be one of the great gets of the Golden Era.

**Carlton Davis is set to announce on August 12th. Davis is near the top of Miami's board at corner and they are absolutely enamored with the physicality he brings to the position. The thought of him lined up opposite Artie Burns is scary. As far as Miami's chances, I'm told that he has not made his decision yet but the Canes are hopeful.

**Look for Miami's newest 2016 commit Ahmmon Richards to play defensive back here.

**Reminder that Tallahassee Godby OT Brendan Loftus will be announcing his decision next Tuesday at a school ceremony. Miami remains the favorite. Other top targets at OL are Jalen Merrick and Bar Milo. Miami has a good chance with both at the moment.

Twitter Questions
From @michaelhenry123 - why is carlton davis only a 3 star but has offers from every top school?

Davis is a kid who has not consistently produced at a high level in high school, but shows flashes of his ability and those flashes are special. From a size/speed standpoint, he is a 4-star kid. Most schools see that ability and offer solely based on that combined with his versatility. I expect his ratings to skyrocket before the cycle is over.

From @luisXIII511 - question: what is the current situation with secondary recruiting for '15? any possible commits, or names to keep an eye on?

The focus at DB remains the same as it has been for some time. The dream class would have Tyrek Cole, Carlton Davis at corner with JaQuan Johnson at safety and Tim Irvin in a nickel/safety role. Davante Davis is also in the mix. The problem for Miami is that besides Carlton, none of these kids are in a rush to make their commitment. It will be wait-and-see. Look for a local kid or two to emerge as well.

From @christiansan6 - how solid is cronkrites commitment? in my opinion he's the most versatile back we have in that class. Do you think all three stay

I alluded to this earlier in the post, but yes I ultimately expect Cronkrite to stick. He wants to be here and his family does as well. Those two things go a long way. I think the two backs in the class will end up being Cronkrite and Scarlett. I still don't think Williams winds up here and there is even talk that he could be decommitting within the near future at Florida's Friday Night Lights camp.

From @BGerstenblatt - do you see us landing Kaaya's former teammate Bar Milo?

Yes, Milo is Miami's to lose at this point. The Kaaya pull is big here and Milo will be visiting on August 10th.

From @CANETony - does the success in recruiting the '16 class have a positive or negative affect on the '15 class?

There is no way the 2016 class success could have a negative impact on the 2015 class. Recruiting is all about relationships and buzz and the 2016 class is building both of those things. We have already seen the dividends of that with the commitments of Jordan Scarlett (2015) and Sam Bruce (2016).

Last edited:
Advertisement
amazing FSU made a push for quan, heard some stories about him not liking the coaching staff there, he was ****ed at them for not knowing who he was at one of his recruiting trips

Last edited:
Thanks for the work Pete, and let's continue to hope that your were wrong on Trayonne Gray, you will take some ****, but better he should be in the class and you get over your butthurt.

that Trayone Gray part had me like..
386.gif

thanks as always for the updates, Pete

**I reported last week that the Cronkrites would be meeting the staff this week to work through any lingering issues, but that meeting has not happened yet because Golden wants to be in town for it. This is still expected to take place soon and things continue to trend upward as far as the chances Cronkrite stick. Ohio State has been persistent in trying to get Cronkrite up to visit during the summer, but still nothing has been planned.

Thanks for the update Pete but easy on the koolaid

Advertisement
I cant take another Lamarcus Joyner at FSU and thats exactly what he will be if he commits there. We need Jaquan Johnson.

Im pretty sure Tim Irvin is coming now. He has been here so much and obvious he feels at home. Carlton Davis would be awesome. I think his connection with Duke is going to play a factor.

We supposed to know about Gray soon, he said he will be in by the end of the month. i fully expect Langham to Redshirt when he comes.

Loftus, Milo, and Merrick my ******* goodness. that would be amazing.

Richards as a DB is a ? for me. He said he was offered and committed as a WR and he wants to play WR. I hope this is not another Travis Rudolph mistake.

all in all great news!! :quag:

Advertisement
Why would RB Mark Walton decommit from Miami, help me understand what is going on with that. Supposedly he wont know if he actually passed reclassification until next summer why not wait. Not to mention by opening up your recruitment you have a ton of distractions when you need to be focused on your academics instead.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Thanks Pete

Trayone Gray - I have no inside info, but Al Golden must get a couple passes to get some guys in academically who are on the edge, with the NCAA mess Golden has leverage with administration just an opinion. It seems like Gray would be a great player to use a pass - can help at RB and WR.....

Just my opinion

Why would RB Mark Walton decommit from Miami, help me understand what is going on with that. Supposedly he wont know if he actually passed reclassification until next summer why not wait. Not to mention by opening up your recruitment you have a ton of distractions when you need to be focused on your academics instead.

Go Canes

Miami has 3 rb commits without him my guess is they don't want him to reclassify

**Carlton Davis is set to announce on August 12th. Davis is near the top of Miami's board at corner and they are absolutely enamored with the physicality he brings to the position. The thought of him lined up opposite Artie Burns is scary. As far as Miami's chances, I'm told that he has not made his decision yet but the Canes are hopeful.

I'd be surprised if they ever lined up together. Burns will be a true JR and davis a True FR.

Otherwise, great stuff, Pete.

Advertisement

I'd be surprised if they ever lined up together. Burns will be a true JR and davis a True FR.

Otherwise, great stuff, Pete.

Miami wants them to be on the field at the same time.

Thanks Pete. If we land Loftus, Milo, and Merrick? Do u see the staff pushing a couple of the already committed OL's out? If so, who do u think it will be?

Nice job Pete. One of your better ones and I am not basing it on what you reported, but how.

Advertisement
Back