The Work 7-17: PARADISE CAMP RECAP

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**Where to start on this day? If you were following on CanesInSight all day, you would know that it was a recruiting event for the ages in Coral Gables. Aside from the fact that it was a spectacle to see all of the former ProCanes out on Greentree, I must say that I was impressed on how many top level prospects actually participated at the camp. Miami delivered on the hype of the event, and the competition was intense. It was a well-organized product that out a focus on head-to-head battles and 7-on-7 play. The significance of this weekend goes beyond just landing a few commitments. It was a weekend that showed Miami is in this game with the big boys now. The staff will now try to ride this momentum into the season and capitalize moving forward.

**Here's the scoop on Zalon'tae Hillery. The 2017 Glynn Academy (Georgia) offensive lineman He committed on Saturday in the middle of the day. His teammate, Deejay Dallas, told me that he had committed, but he was trying to keep it "silent" and not go public yet because he was committing without his mother with him and his coach was not necessarily on board yet either. Well, the word quickly got out and his commitment was not a secret. I had the chance to speak with Hillery about the whole incident and his commitment, and first of all I came away EXTREMELY impressed with this kid. He is an intelligent student-athlete who wants to study Architecture at Miami; definitely not an easy major.

Hillery is all-in on the Hurricanes. He said that although his mom isn't very happy with him right now, he knows that she will support his decision once she visits campus herself. During the camp, what I saw was a long, lean, athletic, 6-5, 267-pound tackle prospect with nice feet. You can tell he is raw and he said he has been playing football "on-and-off" since eighth grade. He got beat a few times in one-on-ones, but I came away more than impressed with his demeanor. He was legitimately upset with himself when he lost a rep. Mark Richt had to call him down a bit and get him focused because he was so emotionally-charged. His feet are impressive for his size. Love his upside and does not seem like his busy potential is high because he will put in the work.

**Although he didn't commit to the Hurricanes this weekend, getting Luther Burbank (Sacramento) DE D.J. Johnson on campus was so big for their chances. Miami was already leading prior to this and he had never been to Coral Gables before the last two days. The Canes have further extended that lead and it would be shocking to see him wind up elsewhere. He got the full-service treatment this weekend. Johnson had a lengthy talk with Michael Irvin after camp concluded.

**5-star OT Alex Leatherwood... GROWN MAN. That's the best analysis you will get on him. He was beat a couple of times in one-on-ones, but his fluidity and athletic ability was on display all night. He flashed freakish footwork at times and his burst is elite. Needs to become more efficient with his hands, but once he perfects his craft, I see no reason why he wouldn't be a future top 10 pick. I found it funny that Leatherwood said out loud that there was more talent at the Miami camp than there was at The Opening last week.

**To me, the two most impressive performances in one-on-one work would have to be guard Marquis Hayes out of Missouri, and Navaughn Donaldson of Miami Central. Hayes dominated the interior. He looks like an absolute wall out there and could become a MONSTER in the college weight room. Hayes has a mean steak to him. Hurricanes commitment Donaldson is just a specimen out there. He is the total package from a physical standpoint and it would be tough for me to point out a rep that he didn't win on Saturday night.

**Also at offensive line - OL commit Zach Dykstra out of Iowa was definitely adjusting to the speed of the game out there. Coach Searels was paying special attention to him and he was trying to stress the importance of "shooting the hands" to Dykstra. Has the looks of a big-time lineman. I had the chance to chat with Dykstra's father, Todd, who was excited to be on campus. He told me that not originally planning to make the trip, but he wanted to see how his son matched up with the talent out there. He also told me that something making his son's commitment easier on their family in Iowa is that they have family in West Palm Beach.

**Deerfield Beach WR Jerry Jeudy... I will say right now that he should be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of Amari Cooper and Dalvin Cook if Miami isn't able to reel him in. For starters, this kid deserves major props for participating in camp. He had nothing to prove out there, and I've seen a jump of prospects worse than him just sit out events like this, but he attacked the opposition out there. Jeudy creates separation about as easily as I've seen at this level. His feet are scary good and controls his body with ease in-and-out of breaks without losing speed. After one of his early reps schooling a defensive back, Mark Richt called him over to shake his hand.

**It was apparent that Miami's top QB recruit N'Kosi Perry was getting the VIP treatment in Coral Gables today, and he really seems like the real deal. Perry is slick with the ball. Although the pads aren't on, you can just see that he moves gracefully outside of the pocket and has a laser-quick release. The ball that he throws is extremely catchable.

**Family members of C.J. Henderson, Trajan Bandy, and Josh Jobe were all in attendance. A source who spoke to Bandy's father on Saturday said that he is really pushing for his son to stay in Miami. That's a good thing for the Hurricanes as they continue to try to sway Bandy from Oklahoma.

**Deejay Dallas played both corner and receiver on Saturday night. I still don't know what he projects best at because he looks good at both. His ball skills are really special, I must say. Not the tallest, but compactly built and doesn't waste movements.

**Devonta Smith and Mike Harley...both electric on Saturday night. Big-play after big-play from both of these guys. They were definitely showstoppers. This doesn't mean they will offer Harley, but this certainly raised those chances. Smith is fun to watch and really snatches the ball out of the air. I'm glad he participated. He's a glider.

**Huge weekend for the Canes at defensive back. First, they land Brian Edwards' commitment yesterday (which was a goal heading into the weekend). Then 2019 Royal Palm Beach safety Akeem Dent committed tonight. Dent will be a four-star recruit, easily. Not only did they land a couple of pledges, but they also solidified their lead with Amari Carter of Palm Beach Gardens. The Miami coaches sold his mother hard on the school and getting her on board was massive. The amount of talent out there at defensive back was astounding. Just what I would have expected at an event like this in south Florida.

**Todd Hartley was on Bradley Jennings, Jr. hard after the camp concluded. The FSU linebacker commitment continues to be a big priory for the staff. His younger brother was on the visit with him.

**2018 Southridge WR Mark Pope was one of the most impressive players all day. You notice his slight build at first, but his smooth route running ability blows you away along with his length and separation skills. Big performance for him. He continues to prove his worth as an elite guy in 2018. Must get for Miami along with Xavier Williams of Chaminade, who had an explosive day too.

**Miami did a great job locking up 2018 DBs D.J. Ivey (South Dade) and Gilbert Frierson (Coral Gables). These two locked it down on Saturday night and have formed a tight bond, which is cool to see. Ivey's mother and younger siblings got to check out the campus today and they fell in love with it, according to a source close to Ivey. Frierson is a savage who has 5-star potential.

**2019 DE Jeramy Passmore...only a matter of time before this pass rushing savant receives his Hurricanes offer. The Westminster Christian prospect was invited back to compete with the upperclassmen at 3 separate camps this summer. Miami coaches are all over him, they're just trying to figure out where he fits because they would like to see him grow another inch or two. He has time for that. Today was yet another nice performance by him. I come away impressed with his hands usage every time I see him work.

**Keep your eye on 2018 DB Jordan Presley (Clearwater Central Catholic). 6-3 and had a strong showing out there on Saturday night. Staff loves his upside and Presley has Miami right near the top of his list after this weekend. I spoke to his father, who told me that they had visited The likes of Michigan and Alabama earlier in the summer. Following the Alabama visit, Earl Presley (Jordan's father) told me that he didn't think anything could compare to that, but he said that after this weekend in Coral Gables, the Hurricanes firmly belong with those powerhouses, if not at the top of his list.

**Recent Miami OL commit Delone "D.J." Scaife from Killian was looking awesome at center. Really good athlete with country strength. Coaches loved him out there and that is a great get for the Canes. It's tough to find a high quality center like him these days.

**I mentioned Max Johnson (2020 QB, Brad Johnson's son, Richt's nephew) yesterday but he is worth noting again. I'd be pretty stunned if this kid was not a top-5 QB in his class. You are talking about a legit 6-2.5 with a pocket presence and genes. The lefty is set to be a FRESHMAN in high school and was more than capable of holding his own with the upperclassmen on Saturday.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So a buddy of mine worked at Duke and ucf..:he currently has an ops position at Syracuse. He told me that Miami is in a very grey area here with a lot of stuff regarding rules and violations. I told him stfu and cited why. Now I'm not saying there were rules broke, as I don't believe their were. I told him that he and the rest of CFB are just shook because competence at Miami is trouble for all.

But I have to ask...is there any lines crossed? I don't know all rules. Like I said, I think it's just JOSE. But he got me thinking...someone tell me he's just another jealous jerk off.

Advertisement
Great work Pete!
Paradise was AMAZING!!!
The staff did a terrific job putting this whole event together & it seemed like even the Football Gods blessed us with good weather to ensure that Miami would pull this off to perfection.
We absolutely made some huge strides on the recruiting trail with this camp, and the best part about it all, is that this was just the first one! Next year's Paradise will be even better! Especially considering, we're establishing some great rock solid relationships with the prospects & their families.

The question I'll ask is, aside from the Columbus kids, what's your take on some of the no shows? Did you speak to anybody on staff about it, or was the focus mainly on the kids who did show up?

Last edited:
So a buddy of mine worked at Duke and ucf..:he currently has an ops position at Syracuse. He told me that Miami is in a very grey area here with a lot of stuff regarding rules and violations. I told him stfu and cited why. Now I'm not saying there were rules broke, as I don't believe their were. I told him that he and the rest of CFB are just shook because competence at Miami is trouble for all.

But I have to ask...is there any lines crossed? I don't know all rules. Like I said, I think it's just JOSE. But he got me thinking...someone tell me he's just another jealous jerk off.

Trust me Mark Richt is a smart man he would have researched all the rules to make sure it is all ok. Now, my guess is that it is legal, but never been done before, and thus the SEC will cry and whine about it and either the NCAA will make a new rule where this is not allowed or the SEC will copy this and fail.

Advertisement

Nah, we good!
UM's compliance is 100% on point when it comes to something like this, this no different than what Richt used to do with "Dawg Night" at Georgia. Trust Coach Richt knows what he's doing, he would never put us in jeopardy while putting together an event like this without doing his due diligence to make sure we're 100% within the bounds & rules of the NCAA.
If the NCAA even thought about trying to have an issue with this camp, then those phony *** hypocrites better shut down "Friday Night Lights" at UF, Dawg Night @ UGA & Harbaugh's crazy antics better be looked over wit a fine toothed comb.
Nah man, we got nothing to worry about on this... Besides, how could anyway have a problem with......
Paradise!!!! [[_]]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pete, good looking bro. This site has become a monster, yo. I appreciate all of the posters posting the periscopes and the tweets, and all that, as well.

I would just like to know if you guys had an opportunity to speak directly to some of the top prospects we're after to get their take regarding this weekend [MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION].

Advertisement
smh at any poster who even has to ask if having an on-campus camp is a recruiting violation.

Some people just want to find negativity in anything

CMR is awesome this camp was bigger and better than I thought it would be. Thanks for the insight Pete

Thanks for the updates Peter!!!

People have been confused for days about if it was an invite only camp or if there was walk ups due to the registration fee. There's your answer in a nut shell. Not one single thing was done wrong because although it was an invite camp everything was unofficial. That's why we had the fee. It paid for the barbecue which was the only issue compliance had. Cracks me up listening to people ***** about us while the real gray area is all these satellite camps are still going on. Our compliance department is beyond top notch. Nothing to see here

Advertisement
Back