The Work 7-13: Paradise Camp preview

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**In terms of the amount of sheer talent coming to campus and the scale of the event that Mark Richt and his staff have planned, this is the biggest recruiting weekend of all-time in Coral Gables. The expected visitor list can be found here - https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/paradise-camp-expected-visitors/99809. I will be there covering the "Paradise Camp" both days and will have live updates on the websites. I'm expecting multiple commitments and this should really set things in motion for the remainder of Miami's class.

So from that list, what should you be looking for?

Commitment watch - I'm not saying these guys will commit for sure, but I've heard they are some of the most likely to do so.

1. WR Evidence Njoku - David Njoku's younger brother is likely to commit this weekend, from what I've heard. Njoku just transferred to Wayne Hills in New Jersey (school of former Cane Kevin Olsen for those interested).

2. DB Brian Edwards - Miami has increasingly been on Edwards over the past month or so and is an absolute priority for safeties coach Ephraim Banda. His mother will see Coral Gables for the first time in her life this weekend, which could go a long way in a possible commitment. Edwards' mentor and 7-on-7 coach Shawn Rose told me that he will also be working both days of the camp.

3. OL Zalon'tae Hillery - I'm hearing that there's a good chance Hillery could commit to the Canes this weekend. A guy who has flown a bit under the radar, Hillery is teammates with Miami's biggest recruiter, Deejay Dallas.

Miami making a move - These are a few names that are either committed elsewhere or Miami is perceived as trailing another school. Based on what I'm hearing, the Canes could significantly improve their chances with these recruits over the weekend.

1. OT Alex Leatherwood - The Miami staff will push early playing time hard to the Alabama commitment this weekend. I've heard from a couple different people that this is not a free trip and Leatherwood is coming into this visit with a very open mind when it comes to the Hurricanes.

2. LB Bradley Jennings, Jr. - The Florida State commit and legacy will be on campus once again this weekend. For months, it has seemed almost as if the Miami staff has been on him harder than FSU. Jennings, Jr. has felt the love from the Canes coaches and this will be a good chance for him to be around other Miami commits.

3. WR Devonta Smith - The top player in Louisiana, Smith is just about down to Alabama and Miami, according to multiple sources. Alabama holds a lead here, however the speedster will be a top priority for Miami coaches this weekend. The Crimson Tide have had him on campus countless times, which is something that gives them an edge here. He will be making his decision in August, freshly off of this visit. Miami very much in the mix here.

Solidifying their status - Here are some recruits that Miami fancies their chances with and this weekend should strengthen their chances.

1. Safety Amari Carter - The Palm Beach Gardens product is a two team battle right now with Notre Dame and Miami. Miami feels that they lead right now and Carter will bring his older brother along with him on the trip. He will be here from Friday-Sunday.

2. RB Anthony McFarland - The all-purpose back out of Maryland named Alabama his leader at the opening last week, but the Canes are right there and I think they could be back on top after this weekend. His relationship with Thomas Brown is key here and this is his second time in Coral Gables in a few months. Big for Miami to get him back on campus.

3. RB Robert Burns - Burns is a Miami commit, but ND has been looming with him. The Hurricanes have not been worried about him leaving elsewhere, and that's a credit to his former high school coach Jorge Baez, who works at Miami in player personnel. A source told me today that Burns has been in contact with Alex Leatherwood, so that could be an interesting connection this weekend.

**A source tells me that the Columbus trio of Trajan Bandy, CJ Henderson, and Josh Jobe (2018) are unlikely to attend because Columbus has had a team camp scheduled for some time and they are obligated to go. I'm told they're "bummed" that they can't make it, but Miami is not sweating it because that group has been on campus 4-5 times over the summer and they are expected back again in the next week or so.

**American Heritage CB Marco Wilson is reportedly nearing a decision. The people that I've reached out to on Wilson believe that he is not leaning either way right now between Miami and Florida (or at least he hasn't indicated so), so this is a BIG weekend for the Canes with him.

**Quick update on Dionte Mullins and Cedrick Wright. Wright is good to go, according to a source, and will arrive on campus in a few weeks. Mullins now has the test score needed to enroll, I'm told, but is finishing up his final online class and is in line to become eligible and enroll for the fall semester barring an unexpected hiccup. Miami was more concerned with his test score than credits/GPA. The biggest hurdle seems to have been jumped.

Here is an expected list of guest coaches that is still growing. I'm told there will be more than this too. Look for all to be announced on Twitter by Mark Richt over the next couple of days.

Ray Lewis
Michael Irvin
Jon Beason
Phillip Buchanon (officially announced)
Jeremy Shockey (officially announced)
Brett Romberg (officially announced)
Antrel Rolle (officially announced)

Advertisement
appreciate that pete, also DeeJay Dallas is recruiting former players to attend, he has reached out to Duke and DVD

Mannnn that Mullins news is huge. Also love that Jon Beason is coming, not a name we see get enough respect at UM like he should.

Solid work as usual Pete.Things are really looking up around here finally.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Worth the wait! Appreciate it Pete. Do you know if it will be open to the public to watch on???

Advertisement
What other school can get a list of former players as huge as we're gonna have guest coaching this weekend? So god **** thankful we have a coach who embraces this advantage instead of hiding in their office and banning them

Advertisement
Pete, you mentioned some recruits will be here for a couple of days, bringing family and "not a free trip"... does this mean those prospects will be attending the camp as an official visit? Or are all visitors paying their own way and not using one of the 5 visits?

Great, great news with Mullins....

With him, Richards and Bruce we got 3 really solid young WRs....

Interested to see what the guy from Mississippi can do, too...

Bring on the commits!

Pete, you mentioned some recruits will be here for a couple of days, bringing family and "not a free trip"... does this mean those prospects will be attending the camp as an official visit? Or are all visitors paying their own way and not using one of the 5 visits?

Cant take official visits in the summer.

Impressive reporting Pete. The program has a lot to be optomistic about right now and it's exciting to see where we go. Richt seems to have a strong hold on what needs to be done. Let's do it!!!

Advertisement
Back