The Work 6-17

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_2376.jpg

**I've posted about 2019 Miami High Dontae Lucas multiple times over the past few weeks and for good reason -- Lucas, who transferred in from Booker T after the football season, will be the top lineman in south Florida for his class, and will without a doubt be highly ranked nationally. He dominated at UGA camp a couple weeks back and Alabama also offered the 6-5, 340-pound mammoth.

Lucas was not able to participate in yesterday's Mark Richt camp due to a minor tweak in his back, but he wanted to get on Miami's campus and talk to the coaches. He visited with two of his coaches from Miami High, including his offensive line coach and Lucas received the VIP treatment all day long.

Mark Richt and Stacy Searels each took time to speak to Lucas individually during and after the camp session. Lucas told CanesInSight that he will be participating in Miami's paradise Camp next month. A source said that Lucas plans to be around campus a bunch over the summer and that the Canes have an excellent chance here.

The most incredible thing about Lucas as a prospect -- he is 16 years old, which is the natural age for his 2019 graduating class. His coach said that the goal is to have him drop about 20 pounds this offseason, which could be a scary sight considering how well he currently moves.

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

**Another 2019 prospect that I've mentioned several times was offered by the Hurricanes yesterday -- and it was a long time coming.

UM offered Miami Northwestern OLB Samuel Brooks, who was Dade County's sack leader last season with 16.5. Brooks played almost primarily with his hand in the ground last season, but will be a linebacker at the next level and he certainly has the athleticism to do so.

At the Nike combine back in February, Brooks was measured at 6-1.5, 193 pounds. 4.84 40, 4.38 shuttle, and 36.2 inch vertical jump. It was the 5th-best testing score of the entire combine, regardless of class.

Miami was already Brooks' favorite school according to a few people around him, but with yesterday's offer, the Canes solidified their status as the program to beat and I have him on commit watch. Brooks told me that he considered doing it yesterday and is talking things over with his family.

IMG_4895.jpg

I watched a lot of Brooks last season at Miami Northwestern and the one play that sticks out to me the most is his game-sealing scoop and score touchdown against Columbus at the 1:40 of the video below. You can also see his ability to run on kickoff coverage where he is the first MNW defender to the return man on the first play. He was wrecking havoc the entire game

[HUDL]video/3/5417056/57c99b163bd8145b84125525[/HUDL]

**Miami made a big impression on 2018 four-star defensive end Kayode Oladele yesterday. The former FSU commit made his way to campus to get some work in with Coach Kuligowski and the Hurricanes have a very real chance for him if they continue to pursue. One thing that has Oladele very interested in Miami is the way that Kool rotates his defensive linemen -- Joseph Jackson's big freshman season at Miami was eye opening for Kayode and he believes he can do similar things if he earns enough snaps.

A source close to Oladele said that the native Nigerian does a ton of research when it comes to his recruitment and he is particularly big on Kuligowski's track record producing top draft picks. I have heard that FSU is now out of the picture for him as well. No timetable for his decision yet, but Oladele plans on being at Paradise Camp.

IMG_4878.jpg

Here is his video from camp yesterday:
[video=youtube_share;WEx0HCVXohw]https://youtu.be/WEx0HCVXohw[/video]

**The Canes solidified their status with 2018 offensive tackle John Campbell this weekend. I mentioned on the podcast earlier this week that Miami was in a great spot with Campbell -- and his two days on campus this week only strengthened that. Campbell made the trip down with his sister and brother-in-law. I had the chance to talk to them for a bit and it was their third time on campus with John. Their son (Campbell's cousin) was also participating in the camp with the 2020 group on Thursday.

IMG_4896.jpg

On Friday, Campbell worked out with Stacy Searels and then was hanging out with a bunch of Canes players for the remainder of the camp. He was spending a ton of time with Miami RT Tyree St. Louis. A summer decision seems likely.

Miscellaneous team notes

**A new addition to the team's offseason workout regimen is yoga. Players have scheduled yoga sessions twice a week on top of their weight room work.

**One player who has made major gains according to sources around the program is sophomore linebacker Zach McCloud. McCloud did not even step in the weight room during his freshman year for the most part, as he was still regaining his lifting strength from a shoulder injury coming out of high school. Canes strength coaches wanted to bring him along slowly last year, but since he was cleared to lift earlier this year, McCloud has added 10-15 pounds of muscle and has the ceiling to be an absolute star in this Manny Diaz-led defense.

Advertisement
View attachment 46255

I've posted about 2019 Miami High Dontae Lucas multiple times over the past few weeks and for good reason -- Lucas, who transferred in from Booker T after the football season, will be the top lineman in south Florida for his class, and will without a doubt be highly ranked nationally. He dominated at UGA camp a couple weeks back and Alabama also offered the 6-5, 340-pound mammoth.

Lucas was not able to participate in yesterday's Mark Richt camp due to a minor tweak in his back, but he wanted to get on Miami's campus and talk to the coaches. He visited with two of his coaches from Miami High, including his offensive line coach and Lucas received the VIP treatment all day long.

Mark Richt and Stacy Searels each took time to speak to Lucas individually during and after the camp session. Lucas told CanesInSight that he will be participating in Miami's paradise Camp next month. A source said that Lucas plans to be around campus a bunch over the summer and that the Canes have an excellent chance here.

The most incredible thing about Lucas as a prospect -- he is 16 years old, which is the natural age for his 2019 graduating class. His coach said that the goal is to have him drop about 20 pounds this offseason, which could be a scary sight considering how well he currently moves.

View attachment 46256

View attachment 46257

**Another 2019 prospect that I've mentioned several times was offered by the Hurricanes yesterday -- and it was a long time coming.

UM offered Miami Northwestern OLB Samuel Brooks, who was Dade County's sack leader last season with 16.5. Brooks played almost primarily with his hand in the ground last season, but will be a linebacker at the next level and he certainly has the athleticism to do so.

At the Nike combine back in February, Brooks was measured at 6-1.5, 193 pounds. 4.84 40, 4.38 shuttle, and 36.2 inch vertical jump. It was the 5th-best testing score of the entire combine, regardless of class.

Miami was already Brooks' favorite school according to a few people around him, but with yesterday's offer, the Canes solidified their status as the program to beat and I have him on commit watch. Brooks told me that he considered doing it yesterday and is talking things over with his family.

View attachment 46258

I watched a lot of Brooks last season at Miami Northwestern and the one play that sticks out to me the most is his game-sealing scoop and score touchdown against Columbus at the 1:40 of the video below. You can also see his ability to run on kickoff coverage where he is the first MNW defender to the return man on the first play. He was wrecking havoc the entire game

[HUDL]3/5417056/57c99b163bd8145b84125525[/HUDL]

**Miami made a big impression on 2018 four-star defensive end Kayode Oladele yesterday. The former FSU commit made his way to campus to get some work in with Coach Kuligowski and the Hurricanes have a very real chance for him if they continue to pursue. One thing that has Oladele very interested in Miami is the way that Kool rotates his defensive linemen -- Joseph Jackson's big freshman season at Miami was eye opening for Kayode and he believes he can do similar things if he earns enough snaps.

A source close to Oladele said that the native Nigerian does a ton of research when it comes to his recruitment and he is particularly big on Kuligowski's track record producing top draft picks. I have heard that FSU is now out of the picture for him as well. No timetable for his decision yet, but Oladele plans on being at Paradise Camp.

View attachment 46259

Here is his video from camp yesterday:
[video=youtube_share;WEx0HCVXohw]https://youtu.be/WEx0HCVXohw[/video]

**The Canes solidified their status with 2018 offensive tackle John Campbell this weekend. I mentioned on the podcast earlier this week that Miami was in a great spot with Campbell -- and his two days on campus this week only strengthened that. Campbell made the trip down with his sister and brother-in-law. I had the chance to talk to them for a bit and it was their third time on campus with John. Their son (Campbell's cousin) was also participating in the camp with the 2020 group on Thursday.

View attachment 46260

On Friday, Campbell worked out with Stacy Searels and then was hanging out with a bunch of Canes players for the remainder of the camp. He was spending a ton of time with Miami RT Tyree St. Louis. A summer decision seems likely.

Miscellaneous team notes

**A new addition to the team's offseason workout regimen is yoga. Players have scheduled yoga sessions twice a week on top of their weight room work.

**One player who has made major gains according to sources around the program is sophomore linebacker Zach McCloud. McCloud did not even step in the weight room during his freshman year for the most part, as he was still regaining his lifting strength from a shoulder injury coming out of high school. Canes strength coaches wanted to bring him along slowly last year, but since he was cleared to lift earlier this year, McCloud has added 10-15 pounds of muscle and has the ceiling to be an absolute star in this Manny Diaz-led defense.

Thanks Pete!! Very thorough report! Always the best from da plug []_[]

If McCloud can stay healthy, he will be the highest drafted LB out of that class and that no disrespect to the other two. McCloud juts has the measurables physically that the others don't.

Advertisement
Love the athletic kids we're recruiting!!!!! Reminds me of the old days when everyone could run

If McCloud can stay healthy, he will be the highest drafted LB out of that class and that no disrespect to the other two. McCloud juts has the measurables physically that the others don't.

He played every game last year and started to really come on the last 5 games of the season. He enrolled in Miami with that shoulder injury January and still played pretty good last year

All 3 of those guys got big time talent and potential. I'm excited for all of them

Last edited:
Advertisement

He played every game last year and started to really come on the last 5 games of the season. He enrolled in Miami with that shoulder injury January and still played pretty good last year

All o3 of those guys got big time talent and potential. I'm excited for all of them

That near int he had in the bowl game on a freaking bubble screen ---

It was kinda scary to think about this guys ceiling.

That yoga is going to be a game changer when it comes to flexibility. This direction is total opposite of before and we may not always be the biggest team on the field but they well be able to adapt to any skill set a team may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach Searls should allow Lucas' OL coach to shadow him and participate in the paradise camp. Happy to hear Kayote is very impressed with Coach Kool. I hope Brooks goes ahead and pull the trigger early. Results like this is what fsu, lizards and alabaga feared.

Advertisement
Richt wasnt playing when he has 2 to 3 year relationships in that he was going to clean house with recruits. This man has not only got alot of the tri county area

But be has hot in to orlando jacksonville lakeland, fort myers and is picking them off.

Now just win but he a crooting monster .

*looks at UGA being ranked 50th overall in the country right now *

Lmaooo we up

Advertisement
16 years old

6'5"

340 lb

Moves well

Just let that sink in. He's 16 years old. He's not even done growing.

Holy shīt

Advertisement
Back