The Work 4-16

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**Mark Richt and his staff are doing what they want on the recruiting trail right now. Miami's 2018 class is on pace to undoubtedly be the program's best ever on paper -- and is a virtual lock to finish top 3 nationally.

On Sunday, Todd Hartley's hard work with tight end Brevin Jordan finally paid off.

Hartley has been recruiting the Las Vegas Bishop Gorman product Jordan for over a year -- it marks the highest-ranked tight end (#3 on 247composite) that Hartley has landed at UM.

The commitment itself comes as no surprise as Miami has held a strong lead with a Jordan for months. Jordan was telling Canes commits D.J. Ivey, Gilbert Frierson, and Josh Jobe last week on his visit that he was already committed to the Miami coaching staff.

Hartley will continue to aggressively pursue Jacksonville prospect Will Mallory to complete what would be the best tight end class in the country. Miami is in good position with Mallory, who is the #9-ranked player at his position.

**This is huge news if it holds, but UM 2017 wide receiver signers Jeff Thomas told me today that everything is set for him to enroll at Miami in May -- Miami is not expecting any issues with his enrollment either. As I reported back in January, Miami felt very confident about Thomas' chances of qualifying after reviewing the first half of his senior year transcript. It appears like he has continued his work in the classroom the last few months and it is major that the Canes get him in school for the Summer A session.

**Everything went according to plan this weekend with defensive lineman Jamarcus Chatman's unofficial visit weekend. For months, Chatman has been one of Coach Kuligowski's favorite prospects in the country and I've even heard that he was Kool's top target overall -- the goal this weekend was for that relationship to grow. UM felt they were leading the way before this weekend and that belief has only been strengthened now. Chatman projects as a defensive tackle in Miami's 4-3.

**Miami hosted North Broward Prep wide receiver Kevin Austin and his mother on campus yesterday for their second scrimmage. UM is a believer in Austin's skill set, but as of right now he is still not considered a priority target based on what I've heard. Miami is under the impression that Austin is pretty set on either Notre Dame or Duke right now, but if they made a strong push then they could certainly get in the mix.

**Wide receiver Elijah Moore is a fan favorite and he is very high on the Hurricanes, but the bottom line right now is that Miami has one spot remaining for receivers in the 2018 class. With Mark Pope, Brian Hightower, and Daquris Wiggins committed, I think if UM had to choose right now they would love to finish up with Warren Thompson. Moore is a precise receiver with great hands and his recruitment could very well play out how Mike Harley's did last cycle -- which would end with him as a Hurricane. I expect the Canes will continue to recruit Thompson and keep tabs on both Austin and Moore.

**To clarify a situation last week with Miami target Gregory Rousseau...there was a report last week that the 6-6, 205-pound defensive target tried committing to Miami on Thursday but the Canes denied his commit -- that was false. Many have asked about Rousseau's status with Miami and I can confirm he is a priority target for the defensive coaches, who value his potential versatility with his length and range. He was a top prospect for Miami since when they offered last summer at a camp and that remains the case. However, on Thursday, he did not mention anything about a commitment to Miami coaches.

**2019 Doral Academy Prep wide receiver Brieon Fuller is a name Miami fans will want to get acquainted with in the near future. Fuller has attended multiple UM spring practices and he is strongly considering an early decision -- Georgia has also offered the sophomore star. He told me yesterday that he will also be at Miami's scrimmage at Boca High next weekend.

**Tomorrow night, The Citadel grad transfer cornerback Dee Delaney will join the CanesInSight podcast presented by CanesWear. Delaney is a projected starter on Miami's defense next season and is a prospect who NFL personnel already have their eyes on for the next draft class.

**Sources tell CanesInSight that Alabama and Miami are in talks to potentially kick off the 2020 season at Cowboy Stadium in an opening weekend game. Miami is scheduled to begin their 2018 season against LSU at Cowboy Stadium.

Advertisement
I love it when plan-Richt.jpg

Advertisement
Lots of good news. Getting Mallory would give us a solid TE class for this year - and another solid player from Jax....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Lots of good news. Getting Mallory would give us a solid TE class for this year - and another solid player from Jax....

Nah like i said in that other thread, we don't need Mallory. He's a luxury not a need. We got the exact same player in Njoku.

Let's save that ship for our true needs like OL or DT.

Any update on qb situation post scrimmage Saturday? Were the qbs as bad as the #s and is Evan still out in front? Thanks! Great work as always

Advertisement
Back