The Work 10-8

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
FOOTBALL RECRUITING
**The recruiting news is starting to pick up as it always does around this time of the year. The big storyline throughout last week was UCLA offering Brad Kaaya and USC just extended an offer to the Elite 11 QB as well. Credit to James Coley for jumping on that train way before anyone else.

**Although many Miami fans are concerned about the possibility of losing Kaaya to one of the local schools (mainly UCLA), I would be very surprised to see him anywhere but Miami. This is based on conversations I’ve had with him over the past couple weeks, even before he officially received the UCLA offer because he had a sense it was coming. His relationship with James Coley is one of the main reasons for the solidity of his commitment. Kaaya told me last week that Coley told him months ago that “this would be coming” in reference to these other big programs offering. There is always a possibility that a recruit can flip until the papers are signed, but again I would be surprised if he does not end up in the orange and green. He is still actively recruiting for the ‘Canes and has assured Braxton Berrios that Miami is his school.

**Speaking of Braxton Berrios, the slot receiver is announcing his decision on Saturday at noon. I’ve been saying for weeks that Miami is in good shape to land him and nothing has changed there. Oregon is not as big of a factor as people have thought for them to be. South Carolina is the school to watch for other than Miami, but Canes fans should feel good about the chances with him.

**I spoke with FSU commit Treon Harris tonight because there has been talk that Harris would consider Miami if they offered at QB, but I did not get that sense from him. His Florida State commitment seems very strong and he told me he might not even consider Miami even if they offered at QB. So the longer Miami goes without offering him as a quarterback, the less likely it is he lands as a ‘Cane. He did not seem too thrilled about being pegged as a DB for the Army All-American game either and said there is still a chance he plays quarterback in that game.

**I wrote about USC commit Michael Wyche last night, who told me he would know his final decision by the end of this week. The 6-4, 340-pound DT would be a huge get for Jethro Franklin. His USC commitment seemed shaky to say the least so Miami is in good position to land him. He didn’t make it clear whether he would be announcing his decision this week, but told me he would be visiting Miami in the coming months.

BASKETBALL TEAM
**Practice began last week and the early indications I’m getting from those close to the program is that this team could really surprise some people and push for a tournament spot. Many expected Freshman PG Manu Lecomte to come in and contribute off the bench this year, but he has been impressive in terms of poise and control of the position. Probably the biggest surprise with him is his shooting ability. I’m told he might be the best shooter on the team right now, or at least that is what he has shown early on.

**Angel Rodriguez did not end up applying for a waiver to play this season due to knee tendinitis. There had been talk for a few weeks that Rodriguez was not expected to apply for the waiver so this is not a surprise. Hopefully the knee issues aren’t too serious and he can come back strong next season.

**Texas transfer Sheldon McClellan has received high praise from those I’ve spoken too. McClellan is forced to sit out this year, but he has already shown his elite scoring ability and will add a huge dimension to the team next year. A source described him as a “1st round talent”.

**Raphael Akpejiori injured his finger this week, but it is not thought to be serious.

**I’m interested to see how different the style of the team is this year compared to last season. Last year’s roster had the effective big-man rotation of Kenny Kadji, Julian Gamble, Reggie Johnson, and Tonye Jekiri sparingly. I expect this season’s team to spread things out more with the shooting ability between Lecomte, DeAndre Burnett, Garrius Adams, Rion Brown, and Davon Reed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We need to all let the Treon Harris topic go, he's committed to FSU to live out his dream as a back-up "QB".....

Miami doesnt need another QB in this class even if Kaaya de-commits imo. Trayone Gray and Malik Rosier can suffice for this year. None of them would even be the 2nd string QB until 4 years from now anyway.

Advertisement
We need to all let the Treon Harris topic go, he's committed to FSU to live out his dream as a back-up "QB".....

Miami doesnt need another QB in this class even if Kaaya de-commits imo. Trayone Gray and Malik Rosier can suffice for this year. None of them would even be the 2nd string QB until 4 years from now anyway.

Can't have a class with just Gray and Rosier.

Treon seems like a sad case but I respect hw strongly he feels about so I wish the kid luck if thats his dream I just don't feel confident for him

Canes b-ball will definitely gonna be interesting to watch this year. Doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to 2014. That's gonna be fun.

Advertisement

Why not?.... QB should be last on the list of positions to stack. Miami doesnt have that luxury not knowing what the sanctions are going to be to get 3 QBs in 1 class. Treon Harris is no better quality a QB then those 2, so it would be a waist to use a schollie on him, even if he would consider it, which i doubt it.

Malik Rosier may end up being legit for all we know.

Miami needs to use every remaining scholarship on locking up as many receivers, DBs, and DTs as possible. Even if Kaaya decommits that schollie should be used on a receiver, DB, or DT as well.

Watching Treon Harris playing safety for FSU is going to be really annoying if he turns out good.

His desire to play QB is unrealistic and if he really thinks Jimbo is offering him there he is delusional.

Advertisement
I'm starting to like the Idea of Gray at Qb. If he'd be willing to RS and start off play ST, doing trick packages, and running the scout team, I think he'd learn a lot and be useful.

Why not?.... QB should be last on the list of positions to stack. Miami doesnt have that luxury not knowing what the sanctions are going to be to get 3 QBs in 1 class. Treon Harris is no better quality a QB then those 2, so it would be a waist to use a schollie on him, even if he would consider it, which i doubt it.

Malik Rosier may end up being legit for all we know.

Miami needs to use every remaining scholarship on locking up as many receivers, DBs, and DTs as possible. Even if Kaaya decommits that schollie should be used on a receiver, DB, or DT as well.

I'm not saying offer Harris as a QB, I'm saying you can't have Rosier and Gray as your only QBs.

Olsen was Fisch's guy, not Coley's. And we only have Williams for one year.

You're comfortable going into 2015 with Olsen, Crow, Rosier and Gray as your QBs? I'm not.

**** can we stop with this whole if Kayya de commits bs! He has given us no indication that he will and u guys are flipping out over outside sources that report w e the f*** they want anyway. He's been solid the whole way through and all this panic about him possibly leaving is unwarranted and unfair to a kid who has been extremely solid and a tremendous asset for the program thus far. I'm not saying this in response to the article I'm saying it in response to a lot of the comments that have been made in this thread and others.

Advertisement
Back