The way too early Line

Can somebody explain to an old guy how to interpret the money lines in English. Like the guy above, what does +250 mean?

Advertisement
Now is the time to bet it if you like Miami with the points. Even if it moves the other way, there isn’t much of a difference between 7.5 to 9.5. But if it goes down to 7 then you’re really getting the worst of the line.

Kinda torn; we should beat the snot out f the over-valued and hyped up Gayturd team. But then again it’s the 1st game under El Jefe’s reign. Could be a trap game for bettors
Don't underestimate Gators defense. Although I think we'll be stout as well, they're a little more proven.

The wildcard is of course our offense, potential to score wildly but new offensive coord potentially new starting QB means be careful.

Advertisement
Now is the time to bet it if you like Miami with the points. Even if it moves the other way, there isn’t much of a difference between 7.5 to 9.5. But if it goes down to 7 then you’re really getting the worst of the line.

I would never advise anybody to bet, since my gambles are only on Wall Street. But I don’t see this line going up, I would be shocked if it’s not around 5 points, maybe even down to 3 or 3 1/2 by kick off.

Unless you think the OL is a total abomination on the level of FSU in recent years this should be an easy Canes ML bet. We have advantages across the board and competent coaching makes all the difference.

Advertisement
Unless you think the OL is a total abomination on the level of FSU in recent years this should be an easy Canes ML bet. We have advantages across the board and competent coaching makes all the difference.

Except nobody knows if we have a competent coaching staff that will mesh together for a game. Or it might take them a few games. That’s why 7 1/2 right now seems about right. But like I said before, I think it goes down a few points before kick off.

Can somebody explain to an old guy how to interpret the money lines in English. Like the guy above, what does +250 mean?
With a moneyline bet you are choosing the team just to win and not getting or giving any points. The number is always based off a $100 bet. So a negative moneyline is how much you'd have to risk to win $100, and a positive moneyline bet is how much you will win on a $100 risk.

+250ML
$100 bet pays $250 profit if it wins

-250ML
Have to bet/risk $250 to win $100 profit

Advertisement
What was the line vs LSU last year?
I see a lot of sideways comparisons to that game.

EDIT: Miami -3 1/2

I’ll be in Vegas for a tournament over the 4th and I’ll going to drop a few hundred of the Canes before that hook goes away....

Last edited:
Canes to win the natty is +10000 right now. Super long shot, of course, but that's a silly return. $50 pays $5k.

Advertisement
Canes to win the natty is +10000 right now. Super long shot, of course, but that's a silly return. $50 pays $5k.
Yeah, and +800 to win ACC. I put like $10 on both just for lulz. I put bigger dollars into the UM-UF money line (I have Miami winning straight up) and the over 8.5 wins. I'm a firm believer that Diaz will get this team to 10 wins or more.

Don’t follow any line or take any movement as gospel until after fall camp. The sharps aren’t making bets without knowing who our starting QB is and who won’t be there bc of injury in August. This movement is all about public overreaction one way or the other. Vegas makes all of their money from the public not from the pros

I wonder what the over under will be with two good defenses and 2 questionable offenses?

The line is trending in our favor. At 5Dimes the moneyline is -290/+245. That equates to no vig odds of 28% for Miami to win the game.

I think this line has the ability to move quite a bit depending on news out of fall practice about the QB spot because it's a wildcard. The reason we're 7.5 point dogs isn't because of the uncertainty at QB, it's the collective, already-decided mentality that our OL is expected to be in a significant mismatch, coupled with us breaking in a brand new head coach. QB news is going to be what drives this line.

Advertisement
Back