The Turf at Dolphin Stadium

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
What the ****, man. Watched guys rip through 2 foot divots yesterday. Really tough to make sharp cuts toward the middle of the field in that environment. Also makes DBs and LBs a little more hesitant in changing direction.

Anyone have the story on why this is going on? It's been raining and all, but looks extreme. The Dolphin game right now looks like my High School's practice field in the 90s. Lots of mud.

*Looked through the first two pages for "field" and "turf" and didn't see anything. Sorry if there's already a thread on this. If so, I'll delete.

Advertisement
The field just isn't drying properly due to the roof.

They either need to come up with a better method for drying it, or just replace it with artificial turf as a last resort.

In this kind of condition it just increases our risk of injury.

With all this rain this season and thunderstorms and stuff it’s about time Ross thinks about trying to install a retractable roof top to the stadium that can close when its needs to be

They either need to come up with a better method for drying it, or just replace it with artificial turf as a last resort.

I figured the drainage system was flawed or something, but the roof explanation makes sense. Thanks for the perspective.

Advertisement
Renovations. Prior to the season and for several months, large equipment occupied the interior of the stadium. The existence and use of that mammoth machinery damaged the sub base and a couple drainage ducts. Also, repair to the grading and sloping was never done....the results of that won't be remedied till the end of the year

What the ****, man. Watched guys rip through 2 foot divots yesterday. Really tough to make sharp cuts toward the middle of the field in that environment. Also makes DBs and LBs a little more hesitant in changing direction.

Anyone have the story on why this is going on? It's been raining and all, but looks extreme. The Dolphin game right now looks like my High School's practice field in the 90s. Lots of mud.

*Looked through the first two pages for "field" and "turf" and didn't see anything. Sorry if there's already a thread on this. If so, I'll delete.

Renovations. Prior to the season and for several months, large equipment occupied the interior of the stadium. The existence and use of that mammoth machinery damaged the sub base and a couple drainage ducts. Also, repair to the grading and sloping was never done....the results of that won't be remedied till the end of the year

Thanks. I prefer grass field because of the data on "give" and injuries, but definitely not if it looks like this. Sounds like it can all be fixed.

They got 2 weeks to get it ready for VT and next Dolphins home game!

Tear that crap up after game get the new sod laid tomorrow give it 2 weeks to take root!

Advertisement

I figured the drainage system was flawed or something, but the roof explanation makes sense. Thanks for the perspective.

This seems to be the most common belief. Turf not getting enough sun in the heat of the day due to the roof.

I loathe artificial turf but I can't see any other option. Its going to be like this the rest of the season.

I think it's kind of a home field advantage our players grew up in this kind of conditions.

I know Augusta National has a vacuum system underneath the greens to improve the drainage. Is the drainage at Hard Rock a passive system, or does it use vacuum pumps too?

It's a goddam shame. The turf used to be so fast and the only good thing about the stadium prior to the renovations. Now, it's like we're playing in mud every game, and it takes away our speed and quickness advantage.

Advertisement
Advertisement

This sounds like the most logical explanation and something that won’t be remedied until the off season.

They’re going to have to continue spending hundreds of thousands maybe in the millions, re-sodding every couple of weeks.

It’s on Ross's dime, so fūck that Meeeeechigam gimp, keep resodding til the offseason.

Advertisement
Back