The truth about Miami football

Leach has lost to FCS schools multiple times. Leach hasn't beaten UW since he's been at WSU, who happens to be there rival. UW literally has pointed out that he doesn't make adjustments. You guys would be calling for his head within year 2.
I really wasn't endorsing a Leach hire, but rather throwing a scenario if he was here with our talent. I think Leach could have done better here, but again that's speculation only. Look we guys are calling for Manolo's head in his first year, can't get any worse. But realistically... is the U going to dig deep into the bank to pay the likes of an Urban?
Anyway, Leach's stock has slipped after this years record. Lets fire MD first then we can talk.

Advertisement
Exactly, however those fat ACC checks is the only reason this school fields a team.
No doubt that’s what keeps our chickenshyt athletic department going. Leeching off the ACC. Sooner or later, the Tobacco Road boys are going to catch on to what’s going on down here.
Would love to know where all this money goes. Not only from the ACC, but from the sky-high tuition this place charges. Evidently there is NO accountability from anyone. Academics are getting worse every year.

Last edited:
Richt was the best coach we could get because he was alumni. All these young up and comers do not want this job.

No this job ain’t for everybody.

That’s what makes the search process so important.

We have hired duds over quality coaches that wanted the job.

Yeah, times have changed, but Miami is still “special” in that the RIGHT guy can win a lot of games here if he is a good fit even if his track record doesn’t look like a young Urban Meyer.

A strong athletic director with a good track record for football hires would work wonders identifying candidates that fit.

Stubbornness has been the primary trait of the last five failures. Looking at the things that worked and did not work should give us a better idea what to look for.

1.Strong “alpha” personality that instills discipline and commands respect to.

2. Good recruiter that can relate to our recruiting base of players and schools.

3. Aggressive modern offense that balances run and pass.

4. Aggressive but fundamentally sound 1 gap defense. Primarily man coverage.

5. Hungry to be committed at hig energy level for 5 years.

Finding these things won’t be easy, but we have made the process harder than it is.

There are coaches that can win other places, but be mediocre here. There are other coaches that would win big here, but be mediocre at other schools.

We have to implement a process that finds the right guy for us. But as information about ulterior motives in our hiring process come to light more, it is apparent that getting this done is a tall order, of not outright impossible without a full out revolt by the fan base.

I know people want to support their team through thick and thin, but a full on boycott of the program may be the only solution.

No season tickets, no merchandise, no donations, no tv.

A truly empty stadium ( not just weak crowds in the 40000s) maybe the catalyst that gets the ball rolling.

I disagree with that first sentence. Pre-1983 is better than what we have now. Those early 80’s pre-83 teams were building something and were either running with or beating the big boys.

The only difference is that today’s Canes can look back and say, “We used to be great! We won 5 titles!” They couldn’t say that pre-83.

But yeah, the obvious difference is that those early 80’s teams had a real coaching staff.
I agree the pre-1983 teams were on their way up. My point was before Schnelly arrived, we were an afterthought. '83 shocked the CFB world due to our lack of success beforehand.

Advertisement
I really wasn't endorsing a Leach hire, but rather throwing a scenario if he was here with our talent. I think Leach could have done better here, but again that's speculation only. Look we guys are calling for Manolo's head in his first year, can't get any worse. But realistically... is the U going to dig deep into the bank to pay the likes of an Urban?
Anyway, Leach's stock has slipped after this years record. Lets fire MD first then we can talk.

We're 6-6 with the easiest schedule we've had this century, bud. Anybody could've done better this season. Al Golden would've cruised to 8 wins with this schedule. Manure ******* sucks.

Advertisement
We're 6-6 with the easiest schedule we've had this century, bud. Anybody could've done better this season. Al Golden would've cruised to 8 wins with this schedule. Manure ******* sucks.
I don't like Bud... call me Grunt.
Listen we both agree about the state of TNM, and we both agree the Coastal sucks eggs. There is no way to know who would of done what if the games aren't played and the coaches are inserted and then you got intangibles and luck and God knows what else. It's not science but sports talk. Regardless we are stuck with MD for at least another year (maybe more) unless a miracle happens. If you don't like Leach to replace MD that's fine, I want somebody better as well. When that time comes I hope the BOT and the AD make a decision that will make most of us very happy.

giphy-23.gif

I disagree with that first sentence. Pre-1983 is better than what we have now. Those early 80’s pre-83 teams were building something and were either running with or beating the big boys.

The only difference is that today’s Canes can look back and say, “We used to be great! We won 5 titles!” They couldn’t say that pre-83.

But yeah, the obvious difference is that those early 80’s teams had a real coaching staff.

The early '80s were rousing fun but not a huge surprise after the Jim Kelly debut at Penn State in 1979. That provided hope while previously there had been none. The 1980 season was a great stepping stone. That Peach Bowl was a huge deal, as others have posted here recently. It was the high water mark in the dozen+ years I had been old enough to attend games and know what was going on. Then 1981 we started defeating the big boys, and given nationally televised slots to boot in those games. That's when the nation started to take notice.

Also, it was much simpler to jump out of nowhere in the early '80s. Not remotely close. Some of the teams that contended for titles in those years were flawed and incomplete teams, like Georgia in 1980 and 1982. BYU in 1984 obviously wasn't much. Given the bowl structure at the time and overall dip in the sport you just needed a very good team and a favorable draw in the bowl game, plus one or two things to go your way, like Miami received toward the end of the Texas vs. Georgia Cotton Bowl in 1983. Lots of Canes fans either don't know or don't care to remember that without unbeaten Texas fumbling a punt deep in its own end with a 9-3 lead late against Georgia, there is no 1983 national championship via defeating Nebraska.

There were plenty of truly great teams in the '70s wishbone era, plus Notre Dame and USC. But once teams got away from that style, and non-wishbone teams like USC and Notre Dame also declined simultaneously in the early '80s, there was basically a half dozen years of more marginal football. The Canes rise was perfectly timed to take advantage. Nebraska under Osborne became a phenomenal program in the mid to late '90s once Osborne understood the need to fortify the entire roster with athletes. But the early to mid '80s Cornhusker teams were overrated. It was glaring at the time. Nebraska took advantage of Oklahoma's decline which began in 1980 and didn't revitalize until Jamelle Holieway in 1985.

These days you can't fake anything. There is no such thing as BYU 1984 and Miami 1983 is a much greater longshot also. The top programs are loaded with elite recruits thanks to a more sophisticated evaluation process. You can't merely scrape by in an 11 game schedule. There is a conference title game requirement and then two more victories required in the playoffs.

It's not impossible the Canes will return. I just don't see it happening. We aren't playing one game on our home field like 1983, 1987 or 1991, and we can't oversmart the recruiting process like late '90s and early '00s.

I enjoyed what he had. It was a great followup to the early '70s Dolphins. My rooting lifespan has certainly not been cheated.

Advertisement
Program is dead and there’s no desire from this school to revive it. Would rather see it shut down than continue like this.

NCAA gave MIA the death penalty when they allowed uncontrolled, wild, wild, west, type of spending in CFB.

Richt was the best coach we could get because he was alumni. All these young up and comers do not want this job.

That's what I've been saying to people who think MIA just needs to hire up & coming HCs from the G5. What they don't understand is big state schools also hire from the G5, and if a bidding war ensues, MIA is in absolutely no position to win that type of war. Once upon a time MIA was a school that helped facilitate & empower a HC to become the best version of themselves. Today we are a school where coaches go to die

Last edited:
Advertisement
nothing he said is wrong. that's the problem. and u know what hasn't changed in 14 yrs? the offensive system we run. we have run the same old stale pro style offense even though miami doesnt get the type of oline guys u need to run a pro style. its time to change the style of offense we run

that's just a start, there are culture problems, college football has evolved and passed us by problems, lower operating budget problems, $EC bagmen problems, Administration and BOT problems...etc..

Here is what is really going to happen:

2019–Most likely finish 6-7 after losing a meaningless bowl game to another team with much less talent

2020–Manny will go 6-6 or 7-5 after making minimal staff changes. At the end of the season he will gut the staff Coker-style in a last ditch effort to save his job.

2021-Manny loses 5 or 6 games again and is fired at the end of the season.

Here is what is really going to happen:

2019–Most likely finish 6-7 after losing a meaningless bowl game to another team with much less talent

2020–Manny will go 6-6 or 7-5 after making minimal staff changes. At the end of the season he will gut the staff Coker-style in a last ditch effort to save his job.

2021-Manny loses 5 or 6 games again and is fired at the end of the season.
Lather.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Advertisement
Back