The Three Man Pass Rush

rok

Great Poster
I can't think of anything more insulting to my intelligence than this. Teams like FSU and VT will murder us if we continue to rely on three DL who aren't even in a pass rushing stance when the ball's snapped.

Advertisement
I can't think of anything more insulting to my intelligence than this. Teams like FSU and VT will murder us if we continue to rely on three DL who aren't even in a pass rushing stance when the ball's snapped.

Are you saying you have some kind of problem playing 8 against 11? Ugh, you're so obtuse.

The scheme there is to allow enough time for their receivers to reach our DBs who are waiting for them at 12 yards deep.

Are you saying you have some kind of problem playing 8 against 11? Ugh, you're so obtuse.

tumblr_mqm0qbH01O1r3vs52o1_500_zps75ee3d85.gif

I don't have a huge issue with a 3 man pass rush. Mostly ineffective, but the # of guys isn't the issue for me. The issue for me is that we line up 3 DTs as the down line and 1-2 or them are in a frog stance.

Advertisement
It's actually quite relaxing to watch Calvin Heurtelou attempt to pass rush. Try it sometimes. He stays within the same 5 foot window. No variance. Stand up and gently arm wrestle with the blocker. No worries about hurt feelings on either side.

I don't dislike the guy. He's quite animated out there between plays. Probably popular within the team. It's merely comical to witness how far we've fallen in that area. Reminds me of the move from the Orange Bowl to Sun Life.

It's actually quite relaxing to watch Calvin Heurtelou attempt to pass rush. Try it sometimes. He stays within the same 5 foot window. No variance. Stand up and gently arm wrestle with the blocker. No worries about hurt feelings on either side.

I don't dislike the guy. He's quite animated out there between plays. Probably popular within the team. It's merely comical to witness how far we've fallen in that area. Reminds me of the move from the Orange Bowl to Sun Life.

:stephenahand:

Advertisement
Not an uncommon tactic and it's probably surprising that we don't use it more. Certainly 5 under 3 deep narrows windows to the max. It could be argued that one shouldnt waste a 4th guy on a pass rush that never reaches home. That's the real problem--lack of a pass rush.

Advertisement

Agreed... Our DL and their pass-running looks like '3 Stooges Live' on Broadway...

Moe: What do you see, boys?

Curly: I see a quarterback!

Larry: What should we do, Moe?

Moe: Stand in our gaps and stare at the QB like this...

tlp1.jpg

Last edited:
Not an uncommon tactic and it's probably surprising that we don't use it more. Certainly 5 under 3 deep narrows windows to the max. It could be argued that one shouldnt waste a 4th guy on a pass rush that never reaches home. That's the real problem--lack of a pass rush.

Have to disagree. It is an uncommon tactic, especially at the college level. Used primarily at the end of a half or game to preserve a lead.

Fear is our real problem it just manifests itself in a lack of pass rush, 8 man drops and 12 yard cushions.

Advertisement

Look at other teams with stout defenses especially when they play the spread (i.e. stanford vs oregon). They are sending extra guys on EVERY down. 4-5 guys most of the time.

We can't generate pressure rushing 5 guys let alone 3.

The tactic makes sense for a lot of teams but we ain't one. We cant cover in the zone and we can't generate any pressure with 3 guys. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Unless it's 3rd and 50 I never want to see it again.

Didn't Gtech convert 3rd and forever against our three man pressure. It is NEVER A GOOD IDEA.

Advertisement
Back