The term "commit"

ball915

All-American
Find it amazing how loosely this term is used with recruits. We read articles when a recruit says "I'm 80% committed" "I'm a mid commitment" "I'm committed but am still looking". What does any of this mean? Please don't come back with "they are 18 years old, what do you expect?". Where do the coaches come in and put their foot down? Sure "if you are looking we are looking" comes into play but kids are committing to hold their spot down while feeling out other schools to see what will happen with them. There is a problem with the system as this isn't just a Miami recruiting issue and is happening at all schools. If you are truly committed then shut down your recruiting. If you are 99% in, then don't commit until you get to 100%.

Michigan has a unique policy that once a player commits they aren't able to visit other schools. We hear at Miami "the coaches are cool with me taking other visits". Seems very nice guy approach and we all know nice guys finish last. Certainly not all kids flip but do feel that they are taking advantage of the system. Imagine if you told your wife "I'm 80% committed in our marriage" or "Sure, I am committed to you darling but am proactively looking at other women and might pay them a visit".

Call me crazy or maybe I am off my rocker but was looking for some thoughts on this.

Advertisement
Eh, I've come to accept it as part of life. When I was 18, how "committed" was I to ANYTHING? Frustrating for sure, but coaches (for the most part) understand it, as do most parents...

Advertisement
Eh, I've come to accept it as part of life. When I was 18, how "committed" was I to ANYTHING? Frustrating for sure, but coaches (for the most part) understand it, as do most parents...

Agreed, however when you are putting $150,000 - $200,000 on the line for a free education, you'd think that the system might be tighter

I do think we should adopt what Michigan has. Let the kid know he can look at all his options for as long as he wants. But once he commits then that is it. You look around, you lose your spot. If you wanted to look around, you shouldn't have committed.

Coaches today are at the mercy of the prospects. You can't tell a commit he can't look else where ala Michigan. He'll just shake his head at that and do what he wants to do.

575.gif

Advertisement
So....Michigan's policy has worked out great, huh? Preventing them from taking visits is as equal as likely a reason for them to decommit as the visit is itself.

early commitment is the only answer. It would do 2 things

1. players can't commit in hopes of getting better offers
2. Schools can count on a commitment
3. Players will take their time and make a decision
4. NSD won't be a drama show

good point, having early enrollees helps the issue a bit but splitting the signing periods with early and regular like most sports could be a solution.

I really don't have a problem with it other than as a fan it can get frustrating. Kids are trying to make the best decision they can for their next 3-4 years and future NFL prospects. Considering how, once they sign their LOI (the only true commitment), they are pretty much at the mercy of the school they committed to. Not many positive options for them once that LOI is inked if they make a bad decision.

Advertisement
THis is how its been for so many **** decades and it wont change. If a kid changes his mind on the toughest decision of his life he can do that. Early signing day will just make it more complicated if god forbid something makes the kid recgret his decision at the worst he's just going to transfer out. In recruiting the word "committment" means nothing especially when its concerning 17 year old kids so please lets stop getting upset over the same thing every year

And what if a player commits before his senior year and then blows up during it? He should be forced to go to a lesser school?

That would be a very flawed system.

Advertisement
michigan just lost george campbell because of their policy so yeah

That policy is basically we own you without a contract.................. do you think that actually works in the "real world"? **** no, if the kid hasn't signed anything then the school has no right to tell him he cant take visits and if we has fans are really saying that then how about we give back Yearby, Hester, Brady, Gayot, powell and Moten while we're at it

THis is how its been for so many **** decades and it wont change. If a kid changes his mind on the toughest decision of his life he can do that. Early signing day will just make it more complicated if god forbid something makes the kid recgret his decision at the worst he's just going to transfer out. In recruiting the word "committment" means nothing especially when its concerning 17 year old kids so please lets stop getting upset over the same thing every year

agreed to an extent, but it would prevent kids from committing before their senior year as much and transferring sucks so kids want to prevent that. the early period is the 2nd week of november and regular is 2nd week of april. the current signing period is right in the middle of those dates. would guess that we would see more kids committing in april which is better with it being closer to graduation. also would give coaches more strategy having 2 periods.

agreed to an extent, but it would prevent kids from committing before their senior year as much and transferring sucks so kids want to prevent that. the early period is the 2nd week of november and regular is 2nd week of april. the current signing period is right in the middle of those dates. would guess that we would see more kids committing in april which is better with it being closer to graduation. also would give coaches more strategy having 2 periods.

Committing before the senior year is good i agree but its still a big decision> too many people think its so easy for a kid to choose but its not its 4 years that set up his future so he has to make the best choice and that can change at any time so the early period is good but only for an ee but the rest have right to me to even wait till May if they feel like they need that much time to be right because how good can the kid be if he regrets the school he picks?

Advertisement
Back