The Support for this Team is Weak

Advertisement
Weak support.jpg

As a fan who doesn't live in Miami, I've always wondered why nobody goes to the games. I've heard lots of reasons like: Very few people graduated from there since it's a small school. There's so much else to do other than that. The team isn't good. It's hard to get there. Parking is inconvenient. Not everybody is a football fan since a lot of the Hispanic people are soccer fans instead. The dolphins game is more important, etc. But the metro Miami area has 6,110,000 people. The stadium holds 76,100 which is 1.06% of the population. There are only 7-8 home games a year. Yet, the stadium is half to 2/3rds full most of the time. It's been like this for a long time too. Most of the roster are local kids from local high schools.
I know people from Lakeland, Orlando, Sarasota and Ft. Myers that go to every game.
Will Miami ever support this team by going to the games? Is college football just not an interest there? Is the University doing a poor job marketing the team/school?
What gives?

Lived in South Florida for 20 years full time and another 5 part time. We live next to Vegas part time now, Might be more things to do in south Florida than any place on earth. And it's magical if you love the ocean, lately we've really starting to miss it. College football has a massive amount of competition in South Florida.

I get it but we're talking 6/7 days or nights a year.

Attendance for our Natty seasons:
'83-45k
'87-54k
'89-52k
'91-58k
'01-46k

We played only 1 ranked team, Washington, which drew 78K in 01, as an example. Better teams will bring out the fans. When we play teams like FL A&M or Bethune Cookman, 1/2 the crowd leaves as soon as the bands have played. For most of the games, the result is not in doubt.

Advertisement
Nobody wants to watch this mess. It’s beyond depressing. The team is just BAD. Probably the worst in the state now that USF has taken action to remove their poor coaching staff. The school itself doesn’t care about the state of the program and a even a lot of hardcore fans have given up because it appears things will never improve.

Last edited:
OP's comments would have a lot more gravitas if the program hadn't averaged 7.36 wins per season over the last 14 years while going 2-8 in bowl games, with 1 ACC Coastal Division title.

And to think when I decided to be a Canes fan as a young lad I thought I was being real smart and wouldn't ever have to deal with crap like this lol smh

The heat and humidity are f-kin ridiculous in August, September and early October....Personally, I am super uncomfortable being out for hours in that weather....Usually start going to Fins games after Halloween....Canes schedule is shorter than Fins, so only a couple of home games after the weather gets more bearable and by Halloween, the Canes have sucked for the past 15 years....

Canes do get high TV ratings in the tri-county area....Maybe I am not the only one who has issues with spending hours in 110 degree heat index weather....

Advertisement
The heat and humidity are f-kin ridiculous in August, September and early October....Personally, I am super uncomfortable being out for hours in that weather....Usually start going to Fins games after Halloween....Canes schedule is shorter than Fins, so only a couple of home games after the weather gets more bearable and by Halloween, the Canes have sucked for the past 15 years....

Canes do get high TV ratings in the tri-county area....Maybe I am not the only one who has issues with spending hours in 110 degree heat index weather....

Nooner games are especially ridiculous, because they are only scheduled at that time for TV. Cut out the TV and play at a later time might actually increase game attendance.

A screen cap from the Maryland game in 1984. We were ranked #6 in the nation at the time. Maryland was a 9-3 team that year.

attendance.jpg

Advertisement
Miami is a **** sports town of frontrunner 'fans'. Always has been. The stadium is too far for a lot of the students to bother with, and that was even the case, to a lesser extent, when they played at the OB. The only way to fill up stadiums for any sporting event in SoFla is to win and be relevant.
This. While this doesnt apply to us die hards, Miami is a town of trends. When Canes are good and generating excitement, it becomes the cool thing to do and the stadium gets packed (see: notre dame in 2017). But when that's not the case, most of those types of people choose something else to do. That's been the case for ages, man. I went to every home game when I lived in Miami. And even when we were good, our attendance would be atrocious for like a 12 noon game vs temple. It sucks, but it just is what it is and I personally think it will always be that way.

Cue pictures of other Florida schools of no fans in the stands when they suck.

This is a really convoluted, ridiculous argument.

Youtube Miami vs. Notre Dame '17.

I was there, and how nuts it looked on TV was pale in comparision to how it actually was.

Now, walk on home boy.

Advertisement
I'm going to offer something non-controversial amd hasn't really been brought up...

I think answer to OP's question is...

on campus stadium.

should be easy to do!

dmcQ75lZdh4Hu.gif

Cue pictures of other Florida schools of no fans in the stands when they suck.

This is a really convoluted, ridiculous argument.

Youtube Miami vs. Notre Dame '17.

I was there, and how nuts it looked on TV was pale in comparision to how it actually was.

Now, walk on home boy.
I was there as well. Now move out of your mommy's house son.

on campus stadium.

The more I think about this, the more I believe it is correct. One of our biggest handicaps is not having an on-campus stadium like 98% of the rest of college football. This should honestly be our priority number no. 1. And yes, space is limited on-campus, but maybe something can be built near campus (under one mile away)? It wouldn't have to be a massive state-of-the-art facility either. Just a modest 50,000 person stadium that is compact and built in a way that more seating can be added later. Something intimate and compact, with the stands right on top of the field. Closed in so it is noisy.

In order of importance:

1. On-campus stadium
2. Get out of the ACC, and either go independent, or beg, plead, fight our way into the SEC
3. Modest improvements to other football facilities (locker room, weight room, etc...)

We'll also need a new administration and coaching staff, but I think that will eventually take care of itself.

I can tell you don't go to games. The stadium hasn't been 1/2 empty since before the renovation.

Advertisement
Back