The Support for this Team is Weak

Clwtrdan

Freshman
As a fan who doesn't live in Miami, I've always wondered why nobody goes to the games. I've heard lots of reasons like: Very few people graduated from there since it's a small school. There's so much else to do other than that. The team isn't good. It's hard to get there. Parking is inconvenient. Not everybody is a football fan since a lot of the Hispanic people are soccer fans instead. The dolphins game is more important, etc. But the metro Miami area has 6,110,000 people. The stadium holds 76,100 which is 1.06% of the population. There are only 7-8 home games a year. Yet, the stadium is half to 2/3rds full most of the time. It's been like this for a long time too. Most of the roster are local kids from local high schools.
I know people from Lakeland, Orlando, Sarasota and Ft. Myers that go to every game.
Will Miami ever support this team by going to the games? Is college football just not an interest there? Is the University doing a poor job marketing the team/school?
What gives?

Advertisement
They sold 42000 season tickets for 2017. Do you think there's been a huge drop off? Just because you don't see people in the seats doesn't mean they aren't sold.

Advertisement
As a fan who doesn't live in Miami, I've always wondered why nobody goes to the games. I've heard lots of reasons like: Very few people graduated from there since it's a small school. There's so much else to do other than that. The team isn't good. It's hard to get there. Parking is inconvenient. Not everybody is a football fan since a lot of the Hispanic people are soccer fans instead. The dolphins game is more important, etc. But the metro Miami area has 6,110,000 people. The stadium holds 76,100 which is 1.06% of the population. There are only 7-8 home games a year. Yet, the stadium is half to 2/3rds full most of the time. It's been like this for a long time too. Most of the roster are local kids from local high schools.
I know people from Lakeland, Orlando, Sarasota and Ft. Myers that go to every game.
Will Miami ever support this team by going to the games? Is college football just not an interest there? Is the University doing a poor job marketing the team/school?
What gives?

All the cameras are pointed to the away teams side and our team sucks.

This is not really earth shattering.

Miami is a **** sports town of frontrunner 'fans'. Always has been. The stadium is too far for a lot of the students to bother with, and that was even the case, to a lesser extent, when they played at the OB. The only way to fill up stadiums for any sporting event in SoFla is to win and be relevant.

Advertisement
What gives?
Have you never heard about the "fans in Miami" meme? We have the most fair-weather fans ever. Although, winning is a cure-all.

What gives?
Why? Because no one in their right mind wants to pay to watch a ****ty product.

What gives?

Miami has ALWAYS had a core base of 45K. Go look at how many we drew in 2001. For a school of 11K with disproportionate number of international students that is pretty good. Win games and we will be consistently north of 50K. Quite frankly with the product the university has put on the field 40K to 45K is quite remarkable. Ever go to a Maryland or Rutgers game? In addition, I bet you there were 25K tops at Pitt and 5K at Duke (lucky to draw 30K in good weather) when we played them.

Advertisement
What gives?
We needed the 178231781278032th thread on this subject, expressed with the nuance and understanding of a six year old.

Troll.

Advertisement
Lived in South Florida for 20 years full time and another 5 part time. We live next to Vegas part time now, Might be more things to do in south Florida than any place on earth. And it's magical if you love the ocean, lately we've really starting to miss it. College football has a massive amount of competition in South Florida.

As a fan who doesn't live in Miami...

Have you ever lived in Miami? If you did, you would understand.

Do you go to every or any games?

Put a winning product on the field and everyone knows what happens. Lose to shiddy teams and people will do other things with their valuable time. It really is that simple.

We see the same thing at FSU and UF. The fact of the matter is, you can't compare what happens in Miami to Nebraska or Texas. It's not that Miami fans are bad, don't care, or are somehow different than other football fans because of their ethnicity (you serious with that in this day and age, bro?), but south Florida is an expensive, and warm, and beautiful, and complicated, and difficult to get around, place to live, work, and play. There are other options, and when the school and the program insults the fan base with the product on the field, the results are what they are.

UM should stop blaming their fans and start hiring qualified people to create a better product.

Last edited:
Fans dollars only stretch so far. There are 2 other schools in the Miami area with sports teams. There are a pro Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey teams. The weather lets people enjoy other pursuits for little or no cost. UM has weakened their schedule by bringing in lesser teams, rather than scheduling more Home and Home type of games with teams from major conferences. The AD would rather beat up on creampuffs so they can make a bowl game or face getting left out. Shows you how much faith they have in the Football program. 6 wins and a bowl game leaves them satisfied. There was a time, before we joined a conference, we played anybody, anywhere, anytime. Unfortunately you have to be in a conference now.

Advertisement
Back