The State of The U: The NFL Draft

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
⚠️ May Contain Offensive Statistics:

As I’m watching these playoffs, a sobering & somber feeling came over me: The lack of Miami Hurricanes on these rosters.

However, it wasn’t just the lack of Hurricanes on these rosters, but also the lack of impact players on said rosters. As I started to really go down this rabbit hole, it had me wondering over the last 10 yrs, just how many guys have been drafted in the first 3-rounds.

The reason I focused on the first 3-rounds is b/c those r guaranteed spots after being drafted. These are considered to be the most likely to impact their team, & team’s future. That’s not to discredit players who are drafted in latter rounds, but the data clearly shows if you’re drafted 4th round, in particular, 5th round or later, the greater chance you’ll find urself either out of the league w/in 3 yrs, a practice squad journeyman, or on the 53 man-squad w/ limited PT.

Also, imo, there’s a direct correlation of teams who furnish the NFL w/ players drafted in the first 3-rounds & their success on the field. Let’s see if that theory holds up.

Looking at the last 10 yrs (2013 - 2022 seasons), we as a program have posted a 75-51 record during this period. We also had 11 players drafted in the first 3-rounds during this time frame. Focusing on each conferences’ power teams, this how we compare:

ACC:
Clemson (133-20 w/ 26 players drafted)
FSU (95-45 w/ 25 players drafted)

B1G:
OSU (128-15 w/ 50 players drafted)
PSU (85-41 w/ 19 players drafted)
UofM (102-43 w/ 25 players drafted)

Big 12:
OU: (113-31 w/ 20 players drafted)

Independent:
ND (106-35 w/ 27 players drafted)

PAC-12:
UO (101-39 w/ 14 players drafted)
USC (88-50 w/ 20 players drafted)

SEC:
Alabama (139-15 w/ 59 players drafted)
LSU (100-41 w/ 42 players drafted)
UGA (121-28 w/ 33 players drafted)

It’s clear that we have underwhelmed by comparison, & the lack of NFL impact talent could be directly attributed to this. However, can we also say it’s the “lack of talent”, which has become a point of contention on this board? Again, let’s take a look at the avg. recruiting classes during this period:

Miami avg. class rank (2013 - 2022) - 15th.

By Comparison-

ACC:
Clemson (T-11th)
FSU (12th)

B1G:
UofM (T-14th)
OSU (4th)
PSU (17th)

B12:
OU (T-11th)

Independent:
ND (T-11th)

PAC-12:
UO (T-12th)
USC (T-14th)

SEC:
Alabama (1st)
LSU (6th)
UGA (5th)

While it can be argued that we’re not nearly recruiting on the same levels of the SEC Powers, along w/ OSU & Clemson, compared to FSU, USC, PSU, & Michigan once again we have greatly underachieved. To further complicate matters, if we take a look at several stable programs like Baylor, Iowa, TCU, Utah, UDub, it becomes a bigger indictment on the state of our program.

Baylor (86-49 w/ 9 players drafted: Avg. class rank - 36th)
Iowa (86-41 w/ 14 players drafted: Avg. class rank - 45th)
TCU (86-47 w/ 11 players drafted: Avg. class rank - 11th)
Utah (83-42 w/ 13 players drafted: Avg. class rank - 40th)
UW (82-41 w/ 22 players drafted: Avg. class rank - 27th)

Here’s the bottom line, until we can start flooding the NFL, not w/ late round & UDFA talent, but consistently w/ first 3-round products, we’ll continuously underachieve. Baylor is the only outlier where they have overachieved by both their recruiting class & lack of top 3-round draft picks; but, it’s inexcusable for a program like Miami to consistently recruit w/in the top 15 out of 131 FBS programs, & yield a habitual 7-5 record.

This is y I gave Mario a mulligan for his first yr. Some things were inexcusable under his watch, but this program as a whole….well, let the data speak for itself. Here’s hoping w/ the classes of 2022/2023 (avg. rank 10th so far), we’ll see this ominous trend subside.

Advertisement

As I’m watching these playoffs, a sobering & somber feeling came over me: The lack of Miami Hurricanes on these rosters.

However, it wasn’t just the lack of Hurricanes on these rosters, but also the lack of impact players on said rosters. As I started to really go down this rabbit hole, it had me wondering over the last 10 yrs, just how many guys have been drafted in the first 3-rounds.

The reason I focused on the first 3-rounds is b/c those r guaranteed spots after being drafted. These are considered to be the most likely to impact their team, & team’s future. That’s not to discredit players who are drafted in latter rounds, but the data clearly shows if you’re drafted 4th round, in particular, 5th round or later, the greater chance you’ll find urself either out of the league w/in 3 yrs, a practice squad journeyman, or on the 53 man-squad w/ limited PT.

Also, imo, there’s a direct correlation of teams who furnish the NFL w/ players drafted in the first 3-rounds & their success on the field. Let’s see if that theory holds up.

Looking at the last 10 yrs (2013 - 2022 seasons), we as a program have posted a 75-51 record during this period. We also had 11 players drafted in the first 3-rounds during this time frame. Focusing on each conferences’ power teams, this how we compare:

ACC:

B1G:

Big 12:

Independent:

PAC-12:

SEC:

It’s clear that we have underwhelmed by comparison, & the lack of NFL impact talent could be directly attributed to this. However, can we also say it’s the “lack of talent”, which has become a point of contention on this board? Again, let’s take a look at the avg. recruiting classes during this period:

By Comparison-

ACC:
Clemson (T-11th)
FSU (12th)

B1G:
UofM (T-14th)
OSU (4th)
PSU (17th)

B12:
OU (T-11th)

Independent:
ND (T-11th)

PAC-12:
UO (T-12th)
USC (T-14th)

SEC:
Alabama (1st)
LSU (6th)
UGA (5th)

While it can be argued that we’re not nearly recruiting on the same levels of the SEC Powers, along w/ OSU & Clemson, compared to FSU, USC, PSU, & Michigan once again we have greatly underachieved. To further complicate matters, if we take a look at several stable programs like Baylor, Iowa, TCU, Utah, UDub, it becomes a bigger indictment on the state of our program.

Here’s the bottom line, until we can start flooding the NFL, not w/ late round & UDFA talent, but consistently w/ first 3-round products, we’ll continuously underachieve. Baylor is the only outlier where they have overachieved by both their recruiting class & lack of top 3-round draft picks; but, it’s inexcusable for a program like Miami to consistently recruit w/in the top 15 out of 131 FBS programs, & yield a habitual 7-5 record.

This is y I gave Mario a mulligan for his first yr. Some things were inexcusable under his watch, but this program as a whole….well, let the data speak for itself. Here’s hoping w/ the classes of 2022/2023 (avg. rank 10th so far), we’ll see this ominous trend subside.
POTY 2023 candidate

ACC:

B1G:

Big 12:

Independent:

PAC-12:

SEC:

By Comparison-

ACC:
Clemson (T-11th)
FSU (12th)

B1G:
UofM (T-14th)
OSU (4th)
PSU (17th)

B12:
OU (T-11th)

Independent:
ND (T-11th)

PAC-12:
UO (T-12th)
USC (T-14th)

SEC:
Alabama (1st)
LSU (6th)
UGA (5th)

Poor coaching and ****** development will do that. Also doesn't help that we've won one bowl game and had one 10 win season in the last 15 years. Elite players want to go to college where they feel like they will get drafted. We've been inept in every phase far too long.

Joe Biden Speech GIF by Election 2020

Advertisement
Man this is massive it reminds us that Miami has consistently done less with more. You see Iowa and Baylor pumping out more high round draft picks it speaks volumes. It's on coaching development and the right evals on players coming in. Most importantly guys weren't being pushed hard enough then

Is there any information on how many undrafted guys we’ve had in the league? I don’t mean a cup of coffee on a practice squad but actual guys who didn’t get drafted that made a roster. I feel like we’ve done a **** poor job of showcasing players’ strengths due to really poor coaching decisions and these guys end up being ignored until they show up at a camp and actually look good. Mostly defensive guys under Golden and offensive guys under Richt/Manny.

Great post !

With a decent avr class rank of 15th and only had 11 guys go in the 1st three rounds, we were either
1. not recruiting the right kids and our evals sucked
2. not developing
3. had incredibly bad luck with injuries etc...
4. and sometimes you do everything right and the kid just does not live up to his potential

I think your stats show that if we get the avr class rank up in the top 10 or better we can reasonably expect that 11 number to double or triple over the next 9-10 years.

Advertisement
Is there any information on how many undrafted guys we’ve had in the league? I don’t mean a cup of coffee on a practice squad but actual guys who didn’t get drafted that made a roster. I feel like we’ve done a **** poor job of showcasing players’ strengths due to really poor coaching decisions and these guys end up being ignored until they show up at a camp and actually look good. Mostly defensive guys under Golden and offensive guys under Richt/Manny.

UFA's that got meaningful playing time:

Gus Edwards (if you count him as Miami)
Michael Badgley
Allen Hurns
Ray Ray Armstrong
Sam Shields (but that's going back to 2010)

Other UFA's that played some, but it's a bit of a stretch:

Olsen Pierre
Thurston Armbrister
Ladarius Gunter
Erik Swoope (basketball player)

UFA Practice Squad Types:

KC McDermott
Tyree St. Louis
Trent Harris
Gerald Willis
Dee Delaney
Jamal Carter
Jermaine Grace
Justin Vogel
Ufomba Kamalu
Rashawn Scott
Tracy Howard
Shane McDermott
Herb Waters
Asante Cleveland
Luther Robinson
Chase Ford
Harland Gunn

Man this is massive it reminds us that Miami has consistently done less with more. You see Iowa and Baylor pumping out more high round draft picks it speaks volumes. It's on coaching development and the right evals on players coming in. Most importantly guys weren't being pushed hard enough then

Bro, honestly as I compiled other teams records & what they’ve produced compared to us, it became even more sad & head scratching.

Like seriously, it made me take a real bite of humble pie. @ItsAUThing.com have constantly pointed out the consistent mediocrity w/in this program. We’ve been just talking about the record, but as I started comparing us to other programs who we consider below our level…my guy, it’s absolutely imaginable to think.

Texas & Miami r the two poster children of doing absolutely less w/ more, but even w/ UT they still have several bowl victories since 2013 including a NY6 bowl victory. Brother it’s unfathomable to think in 10 yrs we have one bowl victory; but again, when I look at the NFL, it now makes even more sense.

ACC:

B1G:

Big 12:

Independent:

PAC-12:

SEC:

By Comparison-

ACC:
Clemson (T-11th)
FSU (12th)

B1G:
UofM (T-14th)
OSU (4th)
PSU (17th)

B12:
OU (T-11th)

Independent:
ND (T-11th)

PAC-12:
UO (T-12th)
USC (T-14th)

SEC:
Alabama (1st)
LSU (6th)
UGA (5th)

Great post brother. I feel like we're on the cusp of this sorry trend changing, but I've had my hopes up plenty of times b4 and been disappointed. Hoping we get a great OC and some more tenacious recruiters in our camp. Go Canes 🏈

Advertisement
Bro, honestly as I compiled other teams records & what they’ve produced compared to us, it became even more sad & head scratching.

Like seriously, it made me take a real bite of humble pie. @ItsAUThing.com have constantly pointed out the consistent mediocrity w/in this program. We’ve been just talking about the record, but as I started comparing us to other programs who we consider below our level…my guy, it’s absolutely imaginable to think.

Texas & Miami r the two poster children of doing absolutely less w/ more, but even w/ UT they still have several bowl victories since 2013 including a NY6 bowl victory. Brother it’s unfathomable to think inT 10 yrs we have one bowl victory; but again, when I look at the NFL, it now makes even more sense.
I see No lies here!

You are correct those statistics are offensive 😂😂😂

I was thinking about @IndayArtHauz post, & while sports never defined my happiness, I have found myself being more jaded towards it in general. And if imma keep it a buck, it’s b/c every single one of my teams have sucked. With The Canes, however, they gave me an out in the NFL for yrs. Even if the Bears sucked, I can watch Baltimore, Washington, Denver, SF, & other teams w pride, knowing some of my Canes were on these teams & wrecking havoc.

Now? Not only do my Bears suck, but verrrrry few NFL teams have impactful Canes on them. Then I really started to think, ****; how many guys have we really had drafted on that level, off GP over the last few yrs? It was just a very humbling figure & it shows why we’ve been horrible.

Advertisement
National recruiting will help to absolve this. If you're a winning program in Texas-FL-Cali you will easily pull a good share of the Top 10-15 players in your respective state...which these 3 states annually generate the majority of the Top 100 players in the country (one could argue GA and Louisiana would make this list as well).

Point is, the teams outside of these states are big time with National Recruiting and the ones that are on the list, UGA and LSU, are winning programs that can pull the best of the best in their respective states....which alleviates having to REACH and play Russian roulette with the FL 3* and low 4* that would be "a 5 star" in other states.

Anyone following this saga for a while understands that it’s a virtuous cycle. Better recruits lead to more competition lead to better field play lead to better recruits.

Culture and depth of talent is also critical. You can’t just gift guys starting spots they need to earn the snaps even if they’re all world. Many of our most talented kids would have been better off going to other schools to learn how to grind, guys like Marcus Forston, Ray Ray Armstrong, Seantrel Henderson, Brad Kaaya didn’t have enough comp to get the most out of them, it hurt them as much as the program.

Finally great coaching leads to great outcomes. As Relly notes, we had more than enough talent to win a lot more games even with the problematic culture and lack of depth. Outside of a few good ones, our coaches have been abysmal at development ever since Butch.

Mario will get this right. I’m 100% confident in him.

Texas & Miami r the two poster children of doing absolutely less w/ more, but even w/ UT they still have several bowl victories since 2013 including a NY6 bowl victory. Brother it’s unfathomable to think in 10 yrs we have one bowl victory; but again, when I look at the NFL, it now makes even more sense.
Yea I used to clown Texas for always underachieving and firing coaches, but when we break down the numbers like you did and bowl wins Miami is embarrassing. Seems like every year our pro players dwindle like how many impact players are left in the league that went to the U, we used to be king 15 years ago in this category

Poor coaching and ****** development will do that. Also doesn't help that we've won one bowl game and had one 10 win season in the last 15 years. Elite players want to go to college where they feel like they will get drafted. We've been inept in every phase far too long.
Spot on

Not sure why people insist on dying on a hill where it’s talent OR coaching OR evals etc

It’s all of it

You don’t fall this far and stay down this long if it’s one thing

Advertisement
Back