The state of Miami Hurricane football: HTF did we get here

D

deleted20764

I'll always remember how I felt in the late 1990's and early 2000's. I was convinced Miami would be a perennial college football powerhouse. We wouldn't win it all every year but we'd always be right there. We'd always be feared. It would always be 99% of other programs biggest win if they managed to beat us.

I was convinced because:

Location..why wouldn't college football players prefer Miami to almost any other location?

The talent pool

The history of the program

None of these things have changed. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the team has been languishing like this for so long.

**** we've proven we can win big with average coaching.

If you had to point to one thing that has caused this drought what would it be?

Advertisement
Advertisement
You really can't figure it out??? CORCHES MAN, CORCHES...and like Davenport said in the U documentary, we got away from the formula player-wise that made us great. Guys with underdog mentalities that are committed and tough. We are Charmin soft as a team overall. We let in too many of the front runners with the wrong mentality...lost the hunger and our corches didn't make the appropriate corrections bc they are corches.

Everyone recruits the area now. Recruiting is a national game. It was not in the 80s and 90s. The internet changed a lot.

There's a lot of factors, but let me know if you think Miami would've been a better program over the past decade had they gotten Dalvin Cook, Teddy Bridgewater, Amari Cooper, Patrick Peterson, Sony Michel, Brian Burns, Pat Surtain, Chris Henderson, Lamarcus Joyner, Sammy Watkins, Ryan Shazier, Nick Bosa, Joey Bosa, Alex Collins, Devin Bush, Ben Victor, Trayvon Mullin, Calvin Ridley....

I could go on for an hour. Of course, Miami wouldn't have gotten ALL those kids even 20 years ago. But they'd have gotten a good percentage. Think Al Golden would've been a little more successful here had he signed Dalvin Cook instead of Joe Yearby? Slightly.

CFB has blossomed into a multi-billion dollar business. Everyone has their hand out now. So sure, coaching plays a role. No doubt. The school's lack of interest in the program for about 15 years plays a role, no doubt. But ultimately, it's about the Jimmys and the Joes. Just can't expect to be a perennial power when you lose that much talent, plus about 50 more kids who were studs in college and/or are balling in the NFL now just from your backyard.

Times changed & Miami failed to sustain. College football & coaches didn't sit around worshiping at the Miami altar. For the longest time, Miami failed to invest in coaches and facilities. So you have large state universities, significantly more finances and much larger alumni/fan bases, built and invested heavily in facilities, paid coaching staffs top dollar, lower academic standards, coaches understood and copied the need for speed and athleticism, cherry picked Florida and South Florida talent, Big East went away & Miami became just another program.

This university and its administration. It isn’t just Shalala. It’s everyone associated with the place. It’s just so poorly run.
It will never change.

Advertisement
I don't think one thing can paint the whole picture, but if I had to it would be the lack of resources given to the program by UM. That reflected on cheap/bad coach hires and outdated facilities.

We can't ever seem to be good on both sides of the ball at the same time.

This year we had what seems to be for the most part an elite defense and putrid offense and laughable special teams cost us 5 games.

We also can't seem to keep upperclassmen around for their senior years.

Long term issues, but Flake doesn't know what's going on now:

1544637114356.png

A lot of factors. In the 80s and 90s, we were ahead of the game. We went to the speed game and were airing it out while everyone else was still playing power football. The rest of college football wasn't built to stop us. We could also stockpile talent. Today kids aren't going to sit and wait their turn. They'll go to a smaller school where they can play right away. In an era where the talent is more evenly spread out, coaching also matters. Erickson won two rings because of the unbelievable level of talent he had here. He hasn't come close to replicating that success. Now a days, a coach has to do more with less.

Advertisement
Just seemed like the higher-ups rested on their laurels and thought Miami could just eat crap and be good. They didn’t want to put the work in to stay good in the new age of cfb

IMO joining the ACC perpetuated the downfall. The goal all along for the administration starting with Donna Shalala was to clean up the image, maintain that clean image, graduate student-athletes at a high level and be ok maybe competing for an ACC championship here and there. The standard used to be championships and competing for them yearly. Nothing less. To me there has been a clear attempt to lower those standards. The BOT's as a whole and Admin clearly do not hold the same standards that most of us fans do. They are ok with where things stand currently as long as the image stays clean and that ACC money keeps flowing in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hire coaches who want to move up to the NFL... we be good...

.... and stop with these premature extensions... any AD who does this must be forced to pay the buyout from their own retirement fund..

I'll always remember how I felt in the late 1990's and early 2000's. I was convinced Miami would be a perennial college football powerhouse. We wouldn't win it all every year but we'd always be right there. We'd always be feared. It would always be 99% of other programs biggest win if they managed to beat us.

I was convinced because:

Location..why wouldn't college football players prefer Miami to almost any other location?

The talent pool

The history of the program

None of these things have changed. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the team has been languishing like this for so long.

**** we've proven we can win big with average coaching.

If you had to point to one thing that has caused this drought what would it be?
We’ve had bad coaching. Simple as that. Xs and Os matter.

Advertisement
Back