The Stat That Tells Our Story

Against all FBS opponents this season, in its first three drives of the game, Miami is averaging 13 yards and 4 plays per drive. The 4th Miami drive in all four of those games have taken place in the 2nd quarter. So that means this is what Miami's 1st quarter possessions have looked like in all our games against FBS opponents (ignoring the 6 yard TD drive against App State after the red zone INT):

Punt
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Punt
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Safety

On the flip side, the opponent has averaged 42 yards per drive, on their first three drives, and 8 plays. Those have looked like this:

TD
FG
TD
Punt
INT
TD
Punt
Punt
FG
Punt
TD
Punt

So, the offense has amassed -2 points on our first three drives per game (the first quarter), while the opponent has 34 points. That's the game folks. That's when you have to rely on comebacks and the legs of freshmen kickers.
Yep, and Manny is 11-0 when winning after the first quarter and 5-13 when losing at the end of the first quarter. So that really is the story, also shows that the coaches can't adjust.

Advertisement
I'm a firm believer that the offense gives us these results because they face a defense with no linebackers or fundamentals throughout practice all year long, in addition to wide open receivers. I'm very skeptical of how we manage to have such a bad offense through Richt, Enos, and Lashlee, who has all fielded a top 15 offense at some point in their career at the P-5 level, and all within 5 years of coming to Miami.
Add in the fact that we apparently don't tackle in practice and this is what you get.

The safety was one of the saddest plays I can remember. Their DL got absolutely mauled by everyone they’ve played. Against us, they whip the interior of the line so bad we can’t even get out of our own endzone.
UVA has been saving their defense for us. They will be so ready.
I wasn't joking. Saw it coming a mile off. Has EVERYTHING to do with the OLine.

We will NEVER be a contender in any way until we have a Great OLine - not a good one, a Great one.

Coaching matters - always, but no amount of skill positions matter if you don't control the line. We don't, we haven't and we won't for the foreseeable.

OLine should be the top priority for whoever takes over for the next 3 years.

Against all FBS opponents this season, in its first three drives of the game, Miami is averaging 13 yards and 4 plays per drive. The 4th Miami drive in all four of those games have taken place in the 2nd quarter. So that means this is what Miami's 1st quarter possessions have looked like in all our games against FBS opponents (ignoring the 6 yard TD drive against App State after the red zone INT):

Punt
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Punt
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Safety

On the flip side, the opponent has averaged 42 yards per drive, on their first three drives, and 8 plays. Those have looked like this:

TD
FG
TD
Punt
INT
TD
Punt
Punt
FG
Punt
TD
Punt

So, the offense has amassed -2 points on our first three drives per game (the first quarter), while the opponent has 34 points. That's the game folks. That's when you have to rely on comebacks and the legs of freshmen kickers.

Great data here!

Another sad point: Teams script a handful of plays (sometimes more) specifically for their opponent and simulate these plays the week of practice; typically these script plays are executed in the first few drives. The results speak for themselves.

Advertisement
My biggest issue with this guy is he continues to try to run out of these tight bunch formations with our **** OL, allowing teams to stack the box. Look at Cam's long TD run tonight he had 4 wide with trips stacked up too, spreading them out and causing confusion. Cam goes untouched. Why don't we see more of that type of stuff?
That would make too much sense for Rhett.

It’s how you know for certain we don’t gameplan at all. A high school coach can scheme some points and yards against better comp yet we just cross our little beta fingers and hope the players figure it out on their own eventually in game

That type of pattern of futility with the opening script precisely illustrates incompetence in preparation for sure. Once that opening script goes poof, Lash just gets lost in his play sheet.

If you attend games, just a few minutes of watching this teams sideline operation will tell you all you need to know. It's a clusterfvck of wandering souls with very little instruction happening. Then, as you look around the empty stadium, it all makes sense. Nobody cares
Hey sweetie, I love living rent free in your gator head. Keep following me around. You are pathetic.

Advertisement
How I Met Your Mother Barney GIF by Laff

Punt
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Punt
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
Safety

TD
FG
TD
Punt
INT
TD
Punt
Punt
FG
Punt
TD
Punt

WOW Lashlee attack run gun offense , he’s history no doubt.

Whom ever comes in ALL MUST GO EVERYONE PERIOD.

Great post, @hurricaneman.

When Lashlee came out like a scared little bittch against Alabama, his defenders said, "well it was Alabama." But he does it every freaking game. He calls a super conservative game until the scoreboard forces him to open things up.

I was a big fan of his when we signed him but its become clear that his scheme only works when we play totally outmatched opponents. Any team with a pulse proves to be a problem for a Lashee coached offense.
I can't help but wonder, is he being instructed to start like this? I mean if I, or any one of us here, were the head coach, we'd tell him to come outs guns-a-blazing. All of us would. Are we to believe that Manny is wanting him to come out aggressive, but he's not? I just can't buy into that line of thinking. I think, and I could be wrong, that Manny is instructing him to do what he is doing. Otherwise, what the **** good is a head coach that can't give orders?

Manny just strikes me as a "Ooooh, the water is cold! I should put one toe in at a time!" sort of coach. He's afraid to jump all in because he's afraid something bad might happen. For all his bravado, he **** sure coaches scared. Now maybe Lashlee is the same, and that's why Manny doesn't say anything to him. If so, then they deserve each other. I should go back and check SMU's early game numbers. Without looking, I'd bet they are better than the 1st quarter numbers here. If they are, we might have our answer.

Just checked... They scored 128 points in the 1st quarter in 2019. Yeah, they usually started fairly fast.

Last edited:
Advertisement
OP's Stat is an indictment of the highest order about the Offensive lines Miami has recruited for years: Offensive linemen they don't build up physically, develop footwork, make tougher, or hold accountable for penalties, but throw out there, year after year, hoping someone will become a miracle fix instead of having the type they need to even begin to compete.

OP's Stat is an indictment of the highest order about the Offensive lines Miami has recruited for years: Offensive linemen they don't build up physically, develop footwork, make tougher, or hold accountable for penalties, but throw out there, year after year, hoping someone will become a miracle fix instead of having the type they need to even begin to compete.
Look at our last 4 OL coaches.

Advertisement
The offensive line stinks..........again. Lashlee has not earned his keep for sure. the offense has been pitiful starting out games.

These type of emotionally broken children used to menstruate on opposing fan message boards. Now, they bleed and cramp on ours
Like I said, you keep following me around with the same repetitive emotional child stuff. Take your retarded statements, stick em where I am sure you love to put stuff and run back to the WEZ.

I can't help but wonder, is he being instructed to start like this? I mean if I, or any one of us here, were the head coach, we'd tell him to come outs guns-a-blazing. All of us would. Are we to believe that Manny is wanting him to come out aggressive, but he's not? I just can't buy into that line of thinking. I think, and I could be wrong, that Manny is instructing him to do what he is doing. Otherwise, what the **** good is a head coach that can't give orders?

Manny just strikes me as a "Ooooh, the water is cold! I should put one toe in at a time!" sort of coach. He's afraid to jump all in because he's afraid something bad might happen. For all his bravado, he **** sure coaches scared. Now maybe Lashlee is the same, and that's why Manny doesn't say anything to him. If so, then they deserve each other. I should go back and check SMU's early game numbers. Without looking, I'd bet they are better than the 1st quarter numbers here. If they are, we might have our answer.

Just checked... They scored 128 points in the 1st quarter in 2019. Yeah, they usually started fairly fast.

Both you and @FrancisSawyer brought this up. I share that curiosity. How much of this is Manny's marching order? Good data point on Lash starting faster at SMU.

Advertisement
Back