The Season is Over

Hate to see coaches laying the blame on players'. Yeah, team played awful. Players got to do better. However, I think coaching may have also played a role in it. Offensive approach was bad last night and has been bad for a while now. We've got a team full of shot-takers, not shot-makers. Allowing guys to chuck them from the cheap seats every time they come down is not basketball. These guys look like they're playing in an open run half the time. Coach L hasn't forgotten how to coach, but he may have overestimated this team and not realized he couldn't have the same approach he's had the last couple of seasons. Coach L should've lit a fire under this team's *** a long time ago. He let the poor habits set in and now this is what we've got.

Advertisement
Guy got drafted. It was the right move
Will never fault a kid for going after his dream. And being drafted only happens to a select few. It's the toughest draft in American sports. Only 64 guys out of 1,000's will hear their name get called. That being said, I know hindsight is 20-20, but don't think signing a 2-way contract and playing in the G League is what he had in mind when he bolted to the pros. Looking back, the right move may have been to make more money (if that was possible) at Miami and then go pro once eligibility was up.

Anyone can say that injuries have killed this season but the most disappointing thing about this team for me is the lack of competitive fire. Nobody seems to care other than Norchad.
💯 I was at game last night, live within 20 minutes of UVA, looked even worse in person. They are simply going through motions, no fire, no cohesiveness, everyone playing for themselves it looks like. Feel bad for coach L, he knows it, you can see it. Bring the season to a merciful end and let’s look forward to the future.

Advertisement
Hate to see coaches laying the blame on players'. Yeah, team played awful. Players got to do better. However, I think coaching may have also played a role in it. Offensive approach was bad last night and has been bad for a while now. We've got a team full of shot-takers, not shot-makers. Allowing guys to chuck them from the cheap seats every time they come down is not basketball. These guys look like they're playing in an open run half the time. Coach L hasn't forgotten how to coach, but he may have overestimated this team and not realized he couldn't have the same approach he's had the last couple of seasons. Coach L should've lit a fire under this team's *** a long time ago. He let the poor habits set in and now this is what we've got.
Only thing I would say was that it was made abundantly clear that Coach L told this team in practice that they have to do minimal dribbling and a lot of passing/ball sharing in order to win. The announcers repeatedly said that was Coach L’s message during shoot around and that was his message during warmups. After the first 5 minutes (and when Keyshawn went down) pretty much all of that went away. You had Pack trying to do spin moves while dribbling, Joesph just taking the ball into the teeth of the defense, even Omier trying to drive in from beyond the 3-point line. If Coach L said “here’s the game plan” and these guys went and ditched that 5 minutes into the game… that’s on the players. There’s a reason Coach L refused to go into the group time out and decided to sit on the bench instead. This team has repeatedly proven that they’ll just flat out ignore what Coach L is telling them to do. We have seen that this team would rather just be lazy and chuck up 3-balls all night then actually try to win the game.

Only thing I would say was that it was made abundantly clear that Coach L told this team in practice that they have to do minimal dribbling and a lot of passing/ball sharing in order to win. The announcers repeatedly said that was Coach L’s message during shoot around and that was his message during warmups. After the first 5 minutes (and when Keyshawn went down) pretty much all of that went away. You had Pack trying to do spin moves while dribbling, Joesph just taking the ball into the teeth of the defense, even Omier trying to drive in from beyond the 3-point line. If Coach L said “here’s the game plan” and these guys went and ditched that 5 minutes into the game… that’s on the players. There’s a reason Coach L refused to go into the group time out and decided to sit on the bench instead. This team has repeatedly proven that they’ll just flat out ignore what Coach L is telling them to do. We have seen that this team would rather just be lazy and chuck up 3-balls all night then actually try to win the game.

It creates an impossible situation when the bench guys aren’t good enough but the only way to deal with it is to sit the starters and play the backups and hope that some time on the bench teaches some lessons. Because it appears nothing else is working.

We didn't have much of a paint presence the past two seasons. Lots of 20/20 hindsight. The issues are clunky roster fit and a team that doesn't like playing with/for each other
Have there been some rumors to back this up or just what you are noticing from watching the games? Something def feels off about this team. I have a feeling the majority of this current roster will not be back next season. I'd love to have Pack, Cleveland and George back to give Bethea some decent guys around him but not sure anyone of the core returns

Advertisement
Not saying it is, but if it’s an effort problem you put in whoever is and send a message. Give me Jakai over someone who isn’t trying.
Pack was awful last night but I surely hope it isn't an effort issue with him bc that dude is getting paid pretty **** well to play here. Ud think he'd have every reason to give it his all. I will say there have been lots of games this year as a whole where I've watched and been like wtf was that effort as a team. Like some others have said...no fire, going thru the motions. It's strange

Anyone can say that injuries have killed this season but the most disappointing thing about this team for me is the lack of competitive fire. Nobody seems to care other than Norchad.
Unfortunately seems to be the same in both football and basketball. Have a few players that seem to care rest of team could care less.

ESPN:

According to ESPN Stats & Information research, it was Miami's worst output in the league since scoring 40 against the Cavaliers in February 2014. It was also the Hurricanes' lowest point total in any game since reinstating their men's basketball program in 1985-86.

And it was all a bit too much for Miami coach Jim Larranaga, who stayed by himself at the bench during a timeout while his team met with his staff on the court. And after the game, his news conference wasn't much different.

"OK, let's go, anybody got any questions?" he asked of the reporters, according to the Augusta (Virginia) Free Press.

When a reporter asked what changed in a game in which the Hurricanes once led 7-2, Larranaga replied, "The game. They just outplayed us in every aspect of the game. We didn't play well. They played really well. Thank you for your attention."

And then he left the room.

Advertisement
As I said before, he allowed it early in the season when he should've nipped that **** in the butt. Easiest way to get a player's attention is through their playing time. Should've sat the *** and got his message across back early in the season. Could've definitely used it as an excuse to play the young guys more in those 20+ point blowouts. Coach L is. a great coach. Best to ever do it at Miami, but even he is not above reproach. Let's hope we can turn this thing around. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
I'm not sure if its as simple as effort. We missed some open shots. Our supposed lead guards (Wooga, Pack) have pretty much stunk. Wooga is shooting 32% from the field over the last 6 games. Pack is shooting 31% in the last 6 games. Of course shooting 0% last night didn't help.

Cleveland is shooting 36% over the last 6 games.

I'm not sure why we've been so bad offensively besides to's.

Maybe it is Coach L not creating easier shots with his play calling.

And no depth whatsoever. Six deep. After that, the "contributions" fall off a cliff. We also don't defend worth a ****.

Your right in that this is not all THAT different from last season - many of the same issues existed then as well. I'm left to conclude the senior experience of Wong and Miller is the difference.
Always is.

As I stated in another thread, Jim knew he had two problems: (1) 8 guys wanted to portal out after the season and (2) he said very early in camp a lot of these kids were thinking NBA not Miami. He was able to keep 4 of the 8 and Omier and Pack returned, which was not 100% a guarantee.

He had to scramble to get as much of the roster intact. We picked up Cleveland, but who were we going to pick in the portal who wanted to give only 10 to 15 quality minutes per night? Quite frankly Jim and staff were held hostage. Our bench are true freshman. Casey and Watson cannot play at this level. Robinson is no better than a walk-on. I think Jim had to keep them because Harland and Anthony moved on for more PT.

As for the second, we were successful the past two seasons because it was a veteran team with excellent leadership and because we played hard every night.

I think Jim is frustrated because kids have not bought in and the culture is way off. Only kid playing his *** off is Norchad. They certainly are not listening and that was apparent last night

I believe there will be huge changes next year and we will be very active in the portal.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back