The reasons why the last 5 coaches haven't worked

Advertisement
All true, but that brings us back to the main issue. Miami won't take this seriously. Even if we had an AD worth a ****, they still won't spend the kind of money needed to get a guy with a record of success. This all starts with an unwillingness to spend like a drunken sailor, which is what's needed these days.

Ain’t that the sobering truth.

Coker - Ran out of talent
Shannon - Didn't re-stock talent
Golden - Didn't re-stock talent
Richt - Didn't re-stock talent
Diaz - Didn't re-stock talent

The big thing to me is the Athletic Director.

Everyone has a boss to report to. That higher-up boss keeps the lower boss in line.

In the military it's the same way. There's always a higher-up or a bigger fish. They know how things should be ran because they've done it before.

At Miami, the bigger fish doesn't do anything. He doesn't force the head coaches to do the right things.

A proper AD would have had Golden break down his plan to him and reviewed it. Donofrio and the defensive BS would've never happened.

A proper AD would have forced Richt to hire an OC who implemented a modern offense, and to hire a proper QB coach.

A proper AD would have never hired Diaz to begin with, or would have forced to him cut the gimmicks and straighten up.

A good AD demands excellence, and once it's achieved, looks for ways to innovate and maintain excellence.

These coaches come in and go wild because there's no supervision or no adults around to keep them accountable.

Its the perfect role for Highsmith. Let the head coach run things but to keep the head coach accountable.
No ******* ad is breaking down schemes and plays lol. Also more often than not the coach is the boss not the ad

1. Coker - The over simplified answer is that he just wasn't head coach material. The more specific answer is that he wasn't a strong enough leader of men. The players didn't respect or fear him. And, a lack of discipline - our fundamentals really slipped once Butch's players had cycled out.

2. Shannon - If Coker wasn't head coaching material, then Randy absolutely wasn't! He didn't have the personality for it and didn't understand what being the head ball coach really entailed, which was a lot of non-X's-n-O's stuff that he was poorly suited to do. And, I think he was overrated as a DC. He was too stubborn, and too slow to change when the other team was consistently succeeding at something.

3. Golden - He actually WAS head coaching material in many facets, but we all know what his kryptonite was - he refused to get rid of his BFF at DC and now he will likely never be a HC again, which is a shame, but he brought it on himself. I will always maintain that if he had simply treated the D like he treated the O, he would've continued to improve as a HC and eventually rebuilt us back to a top 5 team. However, if if's and buts were candy and nuts, etc.

4. Richt - I didn't want us to hire him and I knew it was a mistake, but there you go. He had already peaked years ago and it was obvious to anyone paying attention. Appreciate the positive things he did, but he was tired.

5. Manny - So many reasons that have recently been listed, so I don't need to go into detail. Simply put, this is why you don't hire an unproven HC.

What's your take on these 5 and why they didn't work?
Nail, meet head. Very nice post.

Advertisement
Coker - Local Search $
Shannon - Local Search $
Golden - National Search (Temple) $$
Richt - Local Search $$$
Diaz - Local Search (Temple) $

Last edited:
Q: How far has The U's football program fallen in the last two decades?

A: We've now got diehard Hurricane fans making the case that Al Golden actually was a pretty darn good coach after all.

JFC we gotta get this mess fixed.

None of them were Power 5 material as is evident by their careers post Miami. Schnelly JJ and erickson were innovators. Schnelly and erickson on offense and JJ on defense.

Advertisement
Manny having success with some Golden players makes people forget the Golden specials. Dozens of kids recruited you never heard one word about before they transferred out.

The big thing to me is the Athletic Director.

Everyone has a boss to report to. That higher-up boss keeps the lower boss in line.

In the military it's the same way. There's always a higher-up or a bigger fish. They know how things should be ran because they've done it before.

At Miami, the bigger fish doesn't do anything. He doesn't force the head coaches to do the right things.

A proper AD would have had Golden break down his plan to him and reviewed it. Donofrio and the defensive BS would've never happened.

A proper AD would have forced Richt to hire an OC who implemented a modern offense, and to hire a proper QB coach.

A proper AD would have never hired Diaz to begin with, or would have forced to him cut the gimmicks and straighten up.

A good AD demands excellence, and once it's achieved, looks for ways to innovate and maintain excellence.

These coaches come in and go wild because there's no supervision or no adults around to keep them accountable.

Its the perfect role for Highsmith. Let the head coach run things but to keep the head coach accountable.

A good AD only focuses on the RESULTS generated by his coaches. It is not his job to serve as a sounding board or coaching assistant. That type of interference is NEVER welcomed by any self respecting coach.

A good AD would NEVER get involved in the details and intricacies of a coach's decisions the how's and why's of his coaching process.

A good AD's job is to remove barriers impeding the coaches success and obtain resources that assists a coach's success.

At the end of the day, the AD should only pass judgment on whether or not the coach is moving towards the goals and objectives that they've agreed upon.

Good AD's have realistic expectations & objectives and should be able to tell if the coach is moving towards or away from those objectives.

If he is you can wait ...if you're not sure or feel that he's going in the wrong direction...you cut him loose

Advertisement
Very good thread OP, agree with everything except for the Al Folden section...

(Now keep in mind, I don’t think there’s a person on this board who hates Folden more than me, so I wouldn’t say I’m the most objective when it comes to him lol, however I will give my reasoning for my disdain towards him)

I gave all of the coaches a chance, (meaning even with the doubts I had I was willing to give them 2 years to prove themself before I wanted them out), but with Folden I never wanted him here from day 1 & did not give him a chance at all because I knew he was going to fail & fail hard because he was an absolute shìt Corch at Temple.

His team's routinely lost games they shouldn't have, he lost to Buffalo, Bowling Green, Ohio, Western Mich, Kent St, Villa****inNova (a BBall school that doesn't even care about Football), UCLA & a bunch others at Temple. It showed his track record was of a below average coach that NEVER got his team's to play all out for him, his team's always FOLDED up when it mattered most. (Hence why he became Al Folden & as you’ll notice I never refer to him as his given name)...

The same sh*t happened at Miami, starting off with a loss vs a Maryland team that finished the season at 2-10, losing to K-State, UVA, BC, then in 2012 K State, UNC, UVA , I wanted him gone in year one, but I REALLY wanted him gone that season. Then in his "best" season, lost to Va Tech & Duke & got steamrolled by FSU & Teddy Bridgwater's Louisville. Then the following year got smacked around by Louisville again, that should’ve been the last straw, he should've been fired after that game, but both LVille games were the perfect opportunities to get rid of him, instead they kept him on longer & he did more damage to the program with his incompetence.

We finished 2014 with a 4 game losing streak, should've been fired again, but nope let'em hang around for another season & after losing to Cincinnati should've been fired, but nope took another L to FSU & then the worst loss in school history in the disaster vs Clemson before the adminstration decided to step up & get rid of that fckin bum.

He did near irrevocable damage to the program on the recruiting trail & it's taken **** near 6 years & 2 staffs to repair what he did to Miami & now with Diaz we’re right back to square one smh. But Folden was a complete joke & should've never been hired in the first place. (Same with Shannon & Diaz).

Seriously, I've never seen a Corch ***** up up so bad on the recruiting trail than him, the misses he had, the God awful evals, the numerous times we had kids being hand delivered to us & he would still fck it up or flat out turn them down, I can't even get into the countless stories I have of kids who would've committed on the spot if we simply offered & Folden refused.

Very good thread OP, agree with everything except for the Al Folden section...

(Now keep in mind, I don’t think there’s a person on this board who hates Folden more than me, so I wouldn’t say I’m the most objective when it comes to him lol, however I will give my reasoning for my disdain towards him)

I gave all of the coaches a chance, (meaning even with the doubts I had I was willing to give them 2 years to prove themself before I wanted them out), but with Folden I never wanted him here from day 1 & did not give him a chance at all because I knew he was going to fail & fail hard because he was an absolute shìt Corch at Temple.

His team's routinely lost games they shouldn't have, he lost to Buffalo, Bowling Green, Ohio, Western Mich, Kent St, Villa****inNova (a BBall school that doesn't even care about Football), UCLA & a bunch others at Temple. It showed his track record was of a below average coach that NEVER got his team's to play all out for him, his team's always FOLDED up when it mattered most. (Hence why he became Al Folden & as you’ll notice I never refer to him as his given name)...

The same sh*t happened at Miami, starting off with a loss vs a Maryland team that finished the season at 2-10, losing to K-State, UVA, BC, then in 2012 K State, UNC, UVA , I wanted him gone in year one, but I REALLY wanted him gone that season. Then in his "best" season, lost to Va Tech & Duke & got steamrolled by FSU & Teddy Bridgwater's Louisville. Then the following year got smacked around by Louisville again, that should’ve been the last straw, he should've been fired after that game, but both LVille games were the perfect opportunities to get rid of him, instead they kept him on longer & he did more damage to the program with his incompetence.

We finished 2014 with a 4 game losing streak, should've been fired again, but nope let'em hang around for another season & after losing to Cincinnati should've been fired, but nope took another L to FSU & then the worst loss in school history in the disaster vs Clemson before the adminstration decided to step up & get rid of that fckin bum.

He did near irrevocable damage to the program on the recruiting trail & it's taken **** near 6 years & 2 staffs to repair what he did to Miami & now with Diaz we’re right back to square one smh. But Folden was a complete joke & should've never been hired in the first place. (Same with Shannon & Diaz).

Seriously, I've never seen a Corch ***** up up so bad on the recruiting trail than him, the misses he had, the God awful evals, the numerous times we had kids being hand delivered to us & he would still fck it up or flat out turn them down, I can't even get into the countless stories I have of kids who would've committed on the spot if we simply offered & Folden refused.
Strongly stated and well-reasoned!

No matter how you want to slice up this cake, we freaking deserve a good coach. We've suffered long enough.

Advertisement
Back