The real reason they changed the clock rule.

DTP

Commander of The Great Heathen Army
Premium

So far, the average game is just as long. Just there’s more commercials and less actual football. These TV networks wrote checks for broadcast rights they couldn’t cash so they had to find a way to cram more advertisements into their 3.5 hour window.

I know a lot of folks are going to the game this weekend. Count how many times the official wearing red comes out onto the field. That’s when the broadcast is on commercial break.

Advertisement
College football is controlled by the tv networks. That's why you have all the conference re alignments, and now these terrible clock rules.

Player safety!! But we're about to be adding more games with expanded olayoffs(again more money for tv).
There are bunch of “suits” that never suited up making decisions about what’s best for college football. What could go wrong?

There's a reason I very rarely watch a game live. I skip all of them. You knew the commercials were going to increase. Ever since a DVR was invented, I've cut commercials out if my life. Of you complain about them, that's on you.

Advertisement
There's a reason I very rarely watch a game live. I skip all of them. You knew the commercials were going to increase. Ever since a DVR was invented, I've cut commercials out if my life. Of you complain about them, that's on you.
Lol got me ****ed up if you think I am going to live in a life of silence to watch the canes play hours after it actually happens.

I knew seeing this argument but I’m clearly dumb and don’t understand. How does a running clock create more commercials.

To me if it “shortens” the game and there is less plays which means less possessions which means less stoppage how does that equal more commercials?

I knew seeing this argument but I’m clearly dumb and don’t understand. How does a running clock create more commercials.

To me if it “shortens” the game and there is less plays which means less possessions which means less stoppage how does that equal more commercials?
If a network has a 3 hour time slot that it is filling with a football game and the time it takes to do the actual playing of the game is 2 hours 15 minutes, there are 45 minutes of time for commercials. If the actual playing of the game drops to 2 hours 5 minutes, there are then 55 minutes of time for commercials...

my understanding is that more commercials aren't being added. Its that the game itself is shorter, so the game ends up being more commercial dense. Also frees up more timeslots for the networks to run something else with commercials with the saved time.

Edit: I might just be an idiot idk

Advertisement
If a network has a 3 hour time slot that it is filling with a football game and the time it takes to do the actual playing of the game is 2 hours 15 minutes, there are 45 minutes of time for commercials. If the actual playing of the game drops to 2 hours 5 minutes, there are then 55 minutes of time for commercials...

Gotcha so if quarter takes 20 minutes real time instead of 25 minutes they can now play more commercials between quarters and on stoppages. I literally couldn’t wrap my head around how it correlates. Thanks. It is annoying that they have commercials every chance they get but such is life. Everything revolves around money.

Gotcha so if quarter takes 20 minutes real time instead of 25 minutes they can now play more commercials between quarters and on stoppages. I literally couldn’t wrap my head around how it correlates. Thanks. It is annoying that they have commercials every chance they get but such is life. Everything revolves around money.
Yeah. To be clear I'm not saying that's what happened or is why the clock rule changed. I don't know anything about that. Would not at all surprise me. But if adding more commercials was the purpose that's how it would work.

Lol got me ****ed up if you think I am going to live in a life of silence to watch the canes play hours after it actually happens.

Wait an hour, hit play. ****, unless it's a night game, I'm busy 90 percent of the time when we play. You've gotta stay unplugged from here or sports sites to do it. You catch up, do something for 20. It's time management and that results in getting more **** done.

Advertisement

So far, the average game is just as long. Just there’s more commercials and less actual football. These TV networks wrote checks for broadcast rights they couldn’t cash so they had to find a way to cram more advertisements into their 3.5 hour window.

I know a lot of folks are going to the game this weekend. Count how many times the official wearing red comes out onto the field. That’s when the broadcast is on commercial break.

Somebody has to pay the bills. Its the TV money. So that means more commercials.

The problem for us the viewers is that only 2 types of television are watched live by anyone; sports and news. Everything else is taped (DVR) or streamed. So all the advertising is now in sports and news. No more 1/2 hour sitcoms or Law & Order for advertising dollars. So now those 2 types of television are completely run by networks/advertisers and they have become increasingly difficult to watch. Sports because the games became too long, and news because each network caters to its advertisers with its news content.

Going back to @aelmiami’s point, money is the root of evil, and maybe some good as well.

This.

My Dish Hopper is the best at skipping commercials so when I saw that YouTube video complaining about too many ads I was like there is a simple solution.

Advertisement
The timer on the commercial breaks (that you see them take down on the field in their planned TV breaks) for games on ESPN and ABC went from 2.5 minutes to 3 minutes per break is what I was told. So every kickoff and change of possession is where they're plugging their increased ads and gaining back the time cutout from first down stoppages.

Advertisement
Back