The Race to 300

Advertisement
Thanks OBM for the breakdown analysis. My .02 here is a target of 330. Not saying we will get there but that should be the number given what we have in fold, plus the kids expected in…

#Glorious!

I believe you alluded to it in another thread. Or stated it outright. What we've seen from Mario at previous doesn't compare to what he'll be here. I feel he's already shown us (school investment + staff + recruiting) but obviously, there is still more to do.

But for personal & professional reasons, we're getting the absolute best of Mario. And that's incredible considering, you know, he's never half-assed anything in his career.

So for anyone questioning him now based off past results, just let it play out. He's trying to beat everyone at everything! Including his past self. In fact I believe I heard him say that in reference to himself when he was asked about what he can take from his time at Oregon to help him here.

One of the greatest songs in the Rolling Stones library, and ruined/overlooked by censorship. Who gives a fvck about a song called "Star Star"? Now, what about a song called "Starfvcker"?

Surprisingly, "Star Star" WAS released as a single, with "Heartbreaker" as the B-side. What a STAGGERINGLY GREAT 45 record that was.

And the best part of it all, "Starfvcker" is pretty much regarded as Mick Jagger's response to Carly Simon's "You're So Vain".

Advertisement
It’s going to be a big , fat , huge , thick , lengthy, girthy ,intense , throbbing of a class.

PAUSE!!

I like it but, eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww........
Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

I believe you alluded to it in another thread. Or stated it outright. What we've seen from Mario at previous doesn't compare to what he'll be here. I feel he's already shown us (school investment + staff + recruiting) but obviously, there is still more to do.

But for personal & professional reasons, we're getting the absolute best of Mario. And that's incredible considering, you know, he's never half-assed anything in his career.

So for anyone questioning him now based off past results, just let it play out. He's trying to beat everyone at everything! Including his past self. In fact I believe I heard him say that in reference to himself when he was asked about what he can take from his time at Oregon to help him here.

Correct. 3 things, I believe, are in play here which raise his ceiling:

1. This is his dream job, bar none. It's what he's aspired for, for YEARS. He's home, he's more passionate about this program and this city than anyone can possibly fathom, and he would love nothing more than to be the one to return it to glory. Add that passion and drive to his elite skillset, and you have a monster.

2. He's ascending, both in locale and professionally. He has been learning for years, and this should be the culmination of years and years of OJT from the best of the best. Learning here, then under Schiano, then seeing how to run a program from the top down at FIU, then the ultimate curriculum in learning for 4 years under Saban, then an introduction to big-time football at Oregon. He's been rising to this level for 20 years now, step by step. And all along the way, making national connections which allow him to be the recruiter that he is. Add all of those to being able to walk around in SFL to camps and High Schools with the U on your chest....wow. A perfect storm.

3. He's surrounded himself with better staff here. How he performs on gameday remains to be seen, as this is literally the only part of his portfolio you can poke holes in to this point. Let's be blunt...he lost several games that he should have won. And not just should have won on paper, but with curious or flat-out wrong decisions late in ballgames to pull defeat from the jaws of victory. So, has he learned from that? He should have. And more importantly, the people around him have been upgraded. Marcus Arroyo is a bum, Joe Moorhead is a bum, Andy Avalos just lost 5 games at Boise State for the first time since the invention of the cotton gin, there's a reason he didn't bring Tim DeRuyter here. You would have to think guys like a Broyles Award winning OC, a lifetime SEC DC, a guy who has seen it on the biggest stages for 20 years in Charlie Strong, a guy who just won a Natty under Kirby in Addae, Alonzo Motha****in Highsmith, these guys should all help him as far as in-game decisions and adjustments a lot more than the guys he had at Oregon. So the fact that he's more seasoned and experienced than he's ever been combined with, IMO, the best and most experienced staff he's ever had should help mitigate some of the curious actual football decisions that he's made in the last few years. So if you're recruiting at a Top 5 or Top 3 level, you are as experienced as you've ever been, as smart as you've ever been, and you've surrounded yourself with the best support staff you've ever had......there's plenty of reasons to think that the product we see on the field should be pretty **** good.

Advertisement
As you said, 300 points would have been good enough for the #5 class last season. I think that's entirely doable.

Looking ahead, I think this is our competition:

Alabama: The home state is LOADED in talent this year. I have trouble seeing how they don't make it to 300+, and sitting at 8 with only 11 commits gives them plenty of room to rise.

Clemson: Quietly putting together a solid class, but only at 16 commits (with 14 of those guys being four-stars). Dabo is going to keep adding players and they took a relatively small class last year, and a bounce-back season will give them a ton of momentum.

Georgia: Kirby Smart is a **** good recruiter, so they'll get theirs. I do think they'll take a smaller class this year, which might keep them down.

Notre Dame: ND finished #7 in the final rankings last year with a class totaling 275 points. They're currently sitting at 280, and they're expected to add a few more commits in the coming weeks (Jaden Greathouse, WR from Texas is supposed to commit to them next week). They're also in it for Caleb Downs, a five-star safety from Georgia. Could see them finishing 300+, but they're class will slow down a bit once the season starts.

OSU: Not sure we can catch them, and my early favorite for the #1 overall class. They're at 269 with only 16 commits, and they're in it for some heavy hitters. Could see their class finishing in the range of 325.

Texas: If (and it's a big if) they have a decent season, they could be Top 3. Arch Manning has been a huge boon to their class, and if they rip off some wins, the momentum could push them into 315+ territory.

I think we will easily pass PSU, Baylor, and some of the other highly-ranked teams at the top of the 247 standings right now. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say that our class falls somewhere between 4-7. I just don't see us moving past OSU/Bama, and I think Texas will have a ton of momentum to close on some major talent at the end of the season. We'll be grappling with Georgia/ND/Clemson, and I think we can pass each if we have a good season. 10-3 or something like that.

Anything 10+ and we're looking at the Top 3, but something 4-7 would be an incredible first year.

As you said, 300 points would have been good enough for the #5 class last season. I think that's entirely doable.

Looking ahead, I think this is our competition:

Alabama: The home state is LOADED in talent this year. I have trouble seeing how they don't make it to 300+, and sitting at 8 with only 11 commits gives them plenty of room to rise.

Clemson: Quietly putting together a solid class, but only at 16 commits (with 14 of those guys being four-stars). Dabo is going to keep adding players and they took a relatively small class last year, and a bounce-back season will give them a ton of momentum.

Georgia: Kirby Smart is a **** good recruiter, so they'll get theirs. I do think they'll take a smaller class this year, which might keep them down.

Notre Dame: ND finished #7 in the final rankings last year with a class totaling 275 points. They're currently sitting at 280, and they're expected to add a few more commits in the coming weeks (Jaden Greathouse, WR from Texas is supposed to commit to them next week). They're also in it for Caleb Downs, a five-star safety from Georgia. Could see them finishing 300+, but they're class will slow down a bit once the season starts.

OSU: Not sure we can catch them, and my early favorite for the #1 overall class. They're at 269 with only 16 commits, and they're in it for some heavy hitters. Could see their class finishing in the range of 325.

Texas: If (and it's a big if) they have a decent season, they could be Top 3. Arch Manning has been a huge boon to their class, and if they rip off some wins, the momentum could push them into 315+ territory.

I think we will easily pass PSU, Baylor, and some of the other highly-ranked teams at the top of the 247 standings right now. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say that our class falls somewhere between 4-7. I just don't see us moving past OSU/Bama, and I think Texas will have a ton of momentum to close on some major talent at the end of the season. We'll be grappling with Georgia/ND/Clemson, and I think we can pass each if we have a good season. 10-3 or something like that.

Anything 10+ and we're looking at the Top 3, but something 4-7 would be an incredible first year.
Texas A&M and USC won't go away quietly either but top 5 seems more realistic than I ever expected. Still see us finishing around #6 unless some of these sleeping Giants @Cribby and @1murhurricane mentioned start to pop.

As I've shamelessly broadcasted on this board for years, I am a filthy, dirty, ****** star *****. So I am constantly checking who we are recruiting, where we sit in the composite, projecting the class vs others, etc. It's simply irrefutable in today's college football world...the programs who recruit the best players are the best programs year after year. Not exactly a novel concept or breaking news, but if you want to win championships, you must sign top ranked classes. Yes, there are other factors that go into winning, of course, but talent acquisition is non-negotiable.

So the "bar" for a truly elite class can be simply defined as 300 points on the composite. Class size plays a role into this, so it's not absolutely imperative that you get to 300 if you're taking a small class (Clemson being the annual reminder of this --- they sign a very high percentage of blue-chip players, but rarely gigantic classes that push them to 300 on the composite), but you can be assured that if you do sign a class of 300+, you're going to be very, very high in the overall rankings. Here are how many teams have gotten to this magical number over the past several cycles:

2018 -- 3
2019 -- 2
2020 -- 3
2021 -- 2
2022 -- 4

As you can see, this number puts you into the elite of the elite as far as recruiting classes go. Now, 2023 might be *slightly* different, as the NCAA has removed the 25 player cap, so there might be a couple more teams that hit this number because I believe the classes, for the most part, will be a little larger than usual. But regardless, if you sign a 300+ score class, you're going to be one of the highest classes in the country, if not definitively Top 5. Right now, Miami sits at 215, which is good for #10. So do we have a path to 300+? In January, when Mario was hired, I'd have suggested a nearby asylum for you to reside in permanently if you'd have suggested we get to 300 this class. Now, 6 months in, I genuinely believe that the question is not if we will get to 300, but how much above 300 will we finish? Which is absolutely absurd, but this is the result of hiring one of the best recruiters on the planet, putting him in paradise, with extra juice that he's back home, and giving him the support of an entire administration as well as dump trucks full of cash. So how do we get to 300?

We know nothing in life is a lock, but I am going to list a few kids here that I believe we are all VERY confident will wind up Canes when ink comes to paper:

Rueben Bain
Christopher Johnson Jr.
Jayden Wayne
Tommy Kinsler

Adding those 4 gets us to 252 points, on only a total of 16 kids. I believe we will sign well north of 25 this cycle, probably between there and 30, so who else do we need to get to attain 300+, and how much higher than that can we realistically expect at this point? Well, there are a million ways to skin a cat, and nobody is going to project all 28-ish kids on the nose this far out, but IMO this is a VERY realistic path going forward. And I went conservative here:

- We will most likely add 2 more receivers, and for the sake of being conservative, I added Hykeem Williams and Andy Jean and DID NOT add the higher ranked Jalen Brown.
- IMO we will push for a 2nd back aside from CJ Jr. but with nobody being extremely likely from the high end kids, I didn't add anyone else to the class.
- I believe we take at least 6 linemen, so again taking the conservative route, I added Alinen and Freeling and DID NOT add Okunlola, although in reality he is probably more likely than the aforementioned 2.
- I added Malik Bryant, as I feel we're the team to beat for him, but did not add a 2nd backer to be conservative. I do think we will sign 2, though.
- I think Bonsu is a silent commit, but even if not, IMO he's in this class. I also feel that we are in a GREAT spot for Aguero at the moment, so although it's probably not a conservative approach to add him, I do feel he's more likely than not. So I popped both of them into the class.

This only gets us to 23 commits...and we're now at 299.66 on the composite. And again, this is WITHOUT Okunlola, WITHOUT Jalen Brown, WITHOUT David Hicks, WITHOUT Popo, Baxter, Hussey, Damari Brown, Acheampong, Stanquan Clark, M'Pemba, Kirkland, Cormani, LeBlanc, Braxton, John Walker, and I'm sure several I'm missing. Look at that list...I think we're pretty confident we're getting AT LEAST a couple kids from that list, and we're at 300 points without ANY of them.

This really is going to be an elite, elite class when the ink dries. Again, I thought we had zero shot at a Top 5 class in January. And this is coming from the most optimistic dude on the planet when it comes to Mario and his ability to recruit. Here we are 6 months later, and I'll be SHOCKED if we land with less than 300. What this man has done (and those around him deserve a lot of credit as well) in 6 months is honestly hard to even comprehend. What a time to be alive, and what a time to be a motha****in' Miami Hurricane.

I am telling you guys, let go of the points thing for now. There are going to be some massive scores put up this year because of no 25 cap. We may bring in 35+ guys between the LOI days and the portal. Other programs may do the same. What seemed like a high score in the past might be pedestrian this year. A score that put you in the top 5 last year might land you in the 10-12 range this year.*

*For illustration purposes only

Advertisement
Like Pate said, this is going to bring college football back.

USC, Texas ND and Miami keeping theirs and being competitive with national kids is going to make it all feel different. Alabama, UGA and OSU are not going to be able to be insurmountably more talented than everyone else.
To echo this, he also said parity has never been a quality of CFB. But what’s happening now is the pool of potential contenders has gone from 3-4 to 8-10.

There is now potential for parity at the top, and that is what will make CFB more exciting.

I have never for a second doubted his ability to sell his vision and get elite recruits to buy in. He is simply the best recruiter in the nation. Period.

The upcoming season is the only question mark. We come in with what looks on the surface to be a high powered offense. Those who negative recruit Mario will be quick to point out any shortcomings. I think the inability of the WRs to get separation could cause the O to slide back a little.

Will Mario be able to hold the class if we lose to aTm or Clemson in an ugly manner? I think so, but with NIL money and the pressure on college coaches to succeed (not Mario, others) you never know.

This is the most exciting time to be a cane in at least 15 years though and it feels good.
I think Mario is a smart enough salesman to set appropriate expectations with recruits…. Keep expectations low, and u can’t help but to overachieve.

Advertisement
Yeah no, man tried to chastise me in January when I said top 5. Simple logic, he got a top 6 and a top 7 class at Oregon with basically no recruiting base. U then put him at his home school with the strongest recruiting base in the nation.Then u had his own ability to attract OL nationally which is the most underrated part of achieving a top class because these players usually go to a few schools. If u dig through my post I was bullish on this and I said getting top 12 for me was a everything went bad scenario, had that exchange with Cribby weeks ago before Rashada and others committed.

I don't care who we have to knock out of the top 5 I said, we will just knock them the **** out of it. I think we will finish with a better class than Texas and probably ND. Texas class if u look as a lower per player rank than us and ND im not sure how many more players they will add. Both are close to 20 commits already. I think we may also finished above UGA. Our rise have players that surely would have gone to these other schools, not even given them a look.

Younger fans don't understand how automatic Miami was when we were humming. The coaches of rival schools remember like us older millennials and older generations.

I started looking into it, it's possible we finish with a) the most 5 star players defending on the site and b) the #1 ranked class. Possible if we catch some big breaks like Cormani and M'pemba along with others.

Btw, I'm less enamored with 5 and 4 stars more interested in # of top 50, top 100 players cuz at the end of the day its who got the better players compared to their opponents that's gonna matter. So a 4 star that's #50 is not the same as one that's #340

Advertisement
Back