The Quarterback Trait

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
After three full cycles of quarterback offers, a recruiting pattern is emerging from University of Miami head coach Mark Richt. We will dive into the quarterback classifications and ultimately decide that Richt is not locked into Dual Threats or Pro Style per say, rather he is all in on skill.

First off, let’s take inventory of who was offered at the quarterback position in 2017, 2018 and 2019

2017 Pro Style Quarterback Offerees (14)
  • Davis Mills
  • Hunter Johnson
  • Jake Fromm
  • Tristan Gebbia
  • Baily Hockman
  • James Blackman
  • Chase Brice
  • Daulton Hyatt
  • Jack Coan
  • Jake Allen
  • Tyler Lytle
  • Cade Weldon *Miami Signee
  • Todd Centeio
  • Jack Walker
2017 Dual Threat Quarterback Offerees (3)
  • Kellen Mond
  • Keytaon Thompson
  • N’kosi Perry *Miami Signee
2018 Pro Style Quarterback Offerees (6)
  • Trevor Lawrence
  • JT Daniels
  • Jarren Williams *Miami Signee
  • Joe Milton
  • Cameron Rising
  • Artur Sitkowski
2018 Dual Threat Quarterback Offerees (5)
  • Dorian Thompson-Robinson
  • Justin Rogers
  • Emory Jones
  • Adrian Martinez
  • Casey Thompson
2019 Pro Style Quarterback Offerees (3)
  • Spencer Rattler
  • Sam Howell
  • Graham Mertz
2019 Dual Threat Quarterback Offerees (2)
  • Michael Johnson Jr.
  • Zamar Wise

As you can see by designation, Richt has offered far more pro-style quarterbacks versus dual threats. 23 vs 10. However, that number becomes convoluted when you consider how some of these “pro-style” quarterbacks have some serious running ability.

For example, 2018 Miami quarterback signee Jarren Williams was listed as a pro-style QB. In 2017, Miami quarterback signee N’Kosi Perry was listed as a dual threat. However, it was in fact Williams who ran for considerably more yards in his high school career (1292) than Perry. (494)

Quarterback titles aside, every quarterback ultimately signed by Richt and company since 2017 show universal traits. They have refined quarterbacking skill, they are coveted recruits and they have mobility.

I want to focus on the later. The mobility. The “extendibility” factor if you will. Starting in 2017 with Perry and Weldon, both displayed the ability to run the zone read and extend outside the pocket. Richt undoubtedly had already put a premium on that position trait. It simply opened up more of the playbook. Here might be why.

Brad Kaaya was not a factor outside of the pocket. Kaaya did not factor in any zone read quarterback keep capacity. When you consider Kaaya had negative 386 yards for his career rushing, you noted soon after that the less mobile quarterbacks were being phased out of the program. Jack Allison fell casualty here and the more mobile Malik Rosier, shocking to some, became the starter of the program.

Prior to the signing of Jarren Williams in 2018, Pro Style quarterback Artur Sitkowski was in line to enter the Miami fold after his commitment. Sitkowski in the end landed on Rutgers after seemingly him and the staff parted ways. However, I will make the case that Sitkowski was in fact mobile. He could run the zone read with success and he had running touchdowns charted over 50 yards in his high school career.

Fast forward to this year and Miami is hot on the trail of the Oregon based dual threat dynamo Michael Johnson Jr. Johnson Jr in my opinion is the biggest home run threat in terms of running ability out of all the Miami signees. Mobility is definitely a premium these days.

Michael Johnson Jr. Ultimate Highlights

Richt by his own admission is not targeting a specific group. Dual threats do not hold more weight in his eyes than a pro-style and vice versa. In fact, Richt has had success developing both styles over the course of his distinguished career. At Georgia, he developed the number one overall NFL pick in the pro-style Matthew Stafford. Richt also won an SEC championship with a dual threat by the name of DJ Shockley.

I think the debate settles under a firm understanding. The days of a sedimentary “Groot like” character who limits your playbook appear to be over. That is not what has been happening over the past few cycles at quarterback. What has been happening however is that the quarterback room is beginning to build some serious depth.

Take comfort there and just rest easy. Dual Threat or Pro Style meh….who cares. Just continue to bring in guys who have gifted skill sets and can extend plays when the original play breaks down. The rest will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've never understood what qualifies a QB as "dual threat" or "pocket passer" to these recruiting sites. Yes, some guys, like Kaaya, were/are no threat to run at all but why was N'kosi Perry labeled "dual threat" and Cade Weldon labeled "pocket passer" when Weldon had more rushes for more yards than Perry?

I've never understood what qualifies a QB as "dual threat" or "pocket passer" to these recruiting sites. Yes, some guys, like Kaaya, were/are no threat to run at all but why was N'kosi Perry labeled "dual threat" and Cade Weldon labeled "pocket passer" when Weldon had more rushes for more yards than Perry?

If the qb is black he’s automatically “ dual threat” , even if he runs a 5 flat.

White qbs are normally “pro style”.

I’m kidding ......kindve.

I think everyone on the board knows he's looking for mobile Qb's who can make and extend plays with their legs... Richt has said it himself. This reads like a University essay when you need to hit the words minimum. Lol

Advertisement
Taisun is the #3 DT in the land and he runs a 4.97 40yd dash a 4.7 shuttle and has a 28" vert .

Least athletic QB we'd have on the roster.

Advertisement
Could have been worse. You could have said high school essay. 😊

Seriously not trying to be mean. I tried twice, couldn't finish it.

Appreciate your chops and insight breaking down QB's and looking forward to following along with the spring, summer, and fall QB race through your analysis. This piece, I just could not read.

Keep on it, bro, it's good to have you here.

Advertisement
It's a luxury to have a QB that can break one at any moment, but I'll take someone with great pocket presence. Someone that can shift effortlessly left or right in the pocket to buy time, or take what the defense gives to get a first down. That what was so frustrating about Kayaa, he couldn't even move in the pocket.

Seriously not trying to be mean. I tried twice, couldn't finish it.

Appreciate your chops and insight breaking down QB's and looking forward to following along with the spring, summer, and fall QB race through your analysis. This piece, I just could not read.

Keep on it, bro, it's good to have you here.
Agreed. I haven't read a ton of the football articles, but I've tried reading the basketball ones over the last few weeks and it is impossible to get through them. They're written as if the audience is the other team that knows nothing about us. It's great to have all of this new content, but it's like they're being forced to write long articles when in many cases the same content could be written in a few bullet points.

Advertisement
After three full cycles of quarterback offers, a recruiting pattern is emerging from University of Miami head coach Mark Richt. We will dive into the quarterback classifications and ultimately decide that Richt is not locked into Dual Threats or Pro Style per say, rather he is all in on skill.

First off, let’s take inventory of who was offered at the quarterback position in 2017, 2018 and 2019

2017 Pro Style Quarterback Offerees (14)

• Davis Mills
  • Hunter Johnson
  • Jake Fromm
  • Tristan Gebbia
  • Baily Hockman
  • James Blackman
  • Chase Brice
  • Daulton Hyatt
  • Jack Coan
  • Jake Allen
  • Tyler Lytle
  • Cade Weldon *Miami Signee
  • Todd Centeio
  • Jack Walker
2017 Dual Threat Quarterback Offerees (3)

• Kellen Mond
  • Keytaon Thompson
  • N’kosi Perry *Miami Signee
2018 Pro Style Quarterback Offerees (6)

• Trevor Lawrence
  • JT Daniels
  • Jarren Williams *Miami Signee
  • Joe Milton
  • Cameron Rising
  • Artur Sitkowski
2018 Dual Threat Quarterback Offerees (5)

• Dorian Thompson-Robinson
  • Justin Rogers
  • Emory Jones
  • Adrian Martinez
  • Casey Thompson
2019 Pro Style Quarterback Offerees (3)

• Spencer Rattler
  • Sam Howell
  • Graham Mertz
2019 Dual Threat Quarterback Offerees (2)

• Michael Johnson Jr.
  • Zamar Wise

As you can see by designation, Richt has offered far more pro-style quarterbacks versus dual threats. 23 vs 10. However, that number becomes convoluted when you consider how some of these “pro-style” quarterbacks have some serious running ability.

For example, 2018 Miami quarterback signee Jarren Williams was listed as a pro-style QB. In 2017, Miami quarterback signee N’Kosi Perry was listed as a dual threat. However, it was in fact Williams who ran for considerably more yards in his high school career (1292) than Perry. (494)

Quarterback titles aside, every quarterback ultimately signed by Richt and company since 2017 show universal traits. They have refined quarterbacking skill, they are coveted recruits and they have mobility.

I want to focus on the later. The mobility. The “extendibility” factor if you will. Starting in 2017 with Perry and Weldon, both displayed the ability to run the zone read and extend outside the pocket. Richt undoubtedly had already put a premium on that position trait. It simply opened up more of the playbook. Here might be why.

Brad Kaaya was not a factor outside of the pocket. Kaaya did not factor in any zone read quarterback keep capacity. When you consider Kaaya had negative 386 yards for his career rushing, you noted soon after that the less mobile quarterbacks were being phased out of the program. Jack Allison fell casualty here and the more mobile Malik Rosier, shocking to some, became the starter of the program.

Prior to the signing of Jarren Williams in 2018, Pro Style quarterback Artur Sitkowski was in line to enter the Miami fold after his commitment. Sitkowski in the end landed on Rutgers after seemingly him and the staff parted ways. However, I will make the case that Sitkowski was in fact mobile. He could run the zone read with success and he had running touchdowns charted over 50 yards in his high school career.

Fast forward to this year and Miami is hot on the trail of the Oregon based dual threat dynamo Michael Johnson Jr. Johnson Jr in my opinion is the biggest home run threat in terms of running ability out of all the Miami signees. Mobility is definitely a premium these days.

Michael Johnson Jr. Ultimate Highlights

Richt by his own admission is not targeting a specific group. Dual threats do not hold more weight in his eyes than a pro-style and vice versa. In fact, Richt has had success developing both styles over the course of his distinguished career. At Georgia, he developed the number one overall NFL pick in the pro-style Matthew Stafford. Richt also won an SEC championship with a dual threat by the name of DJ Shockley.

I think the debate settles under a firm understanding. The days of a sedimentary “Groot like” character who limits your playbook appear to be over. That is not what has been happening over the past few cycles at quarterback. What has been happening however is that the quarterback room is beginning to build some serious depth.

Take comfort there and just rest easy. Dual Threat or Pro Style meh….who cares. Just continue to bring in guys who have gifted skill sets and can extend plays when the original play breaks down. The rest will take care of itself.
I understand the purpose in most of this is content for people to read but honestly you seem better than this.i know youre just listing what kids are classified as but several things are far off & you obviously know why. #1 a blind squirell wouldnt even call artie ***** a pro style quarterback... moving on from that cause its all thats needed. #2 as u pointed out the only key factor is mobility. Its not cause it is unique to the offense were running. Its necessary because cmr realized early on #1 we simply dont have the road graders needed to keep our qb upright in the pocket. #2 the key to our offense especially with a liability at qb is quick simple passes to get the ball into our playmakers hands. As weve seen though this fanbase will never be happy with a simple dialed down offense no matter the results. We want our explosive offenses of the past and thats what we all expect. Rightly so considering our skill position talent.

Sadly, that’s true. One site actually had Kaaya as a dual threat QB.
Why does that moron keep mentioning this kid like he has a personal grudge with him. Then he brings up **** from when he was a sophmore like its fact. Jeezus thats a sad miserable life aint it.

I understand the purpose in most of this is content for people to read but honestly you seem better than this.i know youre just listing what kids are classified as but several things are far off & you obviously know why. #1 a blind squirell wouldnt even call artie ***** a pro style quarterback... moving on from that cause its all thats needed. #2 as u pointed out the only key factor is mobility. Its not cause it is unique to the offense were running. Its necessary because cmr realized early on #1 we simply dont have the road graders needed to keep our qb upright in the pocket. #2 the key to our offense especially with a liability at qb is quick simple passes to get the ball into our playmakers hands. As weve seen though this fanbase will never be happy with a simple dialed down offense no matter the results. We want our explosive offenses of the past and thats what we all expect. Rightly so considering our skill position talent.

1. There are some blind squirrels in terms of the classifications. I am just listing what was listed. From the piece I specifically shed light to the fact it was convoluted and kids are mis-classified

2. I said 3 "traits" have emerged among the offers. I never said mobility was only key. Just a point of emphasis.

3. Road graders are not needed for good pass pro. That is quite the opposite. (But I think you simply mispoke and I know what you mean)

Quick passing emerged as point of emphasis after the debacle at VT 2 years ago. Richt admitted to the bad game plan and shifted the focus into a more quick centered attack. The point of emphasis of the offense has changed more so from year to year. Teams adapt so shall we.

And lastly I was asked to focus on this piece with the whole goal to find what Richt is looking for in qb recruits. If there was a single "trait" You are very well in tune my friend. In a short time frame I have come to respect your knowledge. But not everyone out there understands the difference between dual threats and pro guys and make the comment "we just need dual threats why are we wasting our time with pro kids." So the backdrop was widened. It will not always read that way.

Advertisement
Back