The QB position

Advertisement
Guys on this board were calling for a mobile qb for us for years. I understand that. Kaaya was an immobile statue in the pocket but so was Dorsey, Walsh, and Kosar. The difference was they had great OL's. It's easy to look at Teboe, Cam Newton, and Deshean Watson and not see the value of mobility but what we saw last night is that the major qualifications for that position has to be the ability to get the ball into your playmakers hands and the mental capacity to read defenses. You need to be smart and have sufficient arm strength to hit recievrs all over the field. Those two freshmen last night blew me away with their mastery of the passing game. Both are mobile but that game was fought in the air. So much for Sabans experimentation with RPO emphasis. Jalen Hurts is a transfer candidate. Thanks Malik for a good season and for keeping the seat warm. Perry, you're still in it but your inability to grasp the mental part of the game to at least earn a backup role this year is a red flag. My hope is in the true freshman. Unlike Perry he is an early enrollee which says something. I also would have liked to see the Ga. transfer here just in case. We could fight and win the case of Ga. restricting him. in summary let's not forget that the qb position must first be about passing and handing off with running last.

dorsey, walsh, and kosar played at a time that you could triple option your way to the national championship game. modern college football requires at least the threat of running to be elite with a few exceptions. every playoff team this year had a quarterback that could tuck it and run when needed, and every playoff team that had a pure pocket passer (with the exception of coker) got smacked.

All those triple option qbs were run threats. Not much of passers though. We ended that era. We need a passer who can run some, not a runner who pretends to be able to pass.

dorsey, walsh, and kosar played at a time that you could triple option your way to the national championship game. modern college football requires at least the threat of running to be elite with a few exceptions. every playoff team this year had a quarterback that could tuck it and run when needed, and every playoff team that had a pure pocket passer (with the exception of coker) got smacked.

Exactly...and defenses even in those days were designed to stop 22-Personnel on up, not the type of passing attack we presented.

And once we married a vertical passing attack, with an upfield defensive attack, insert coin, game...ova!

Advertisement
Back