The QB position

mianjomar

Junior
Guys on this board were calling for a mobile qb for us for years. I understand that. Kaaya was an immobile statue in the pocket but so was Dorsey, Walsh, and Kosar. The difference was they had great OL's. It's easy to look at Teboe, Cam Newton, and Deshean Watson and not see the value of mobility but what we saw last night is that the major qualifications for that position has to be the ability to get the ball into your playmakers hands and the mental capacity to read defenses. You need to be smart and have sufficient arm strength to hit recievrs all over the field. Those two freshmen last night blew me away with their mastery of the passing game. Both are mobile but that game was fought in the air. So much for Sabans experimentation with RPO emphasis. Jalen Hurts is a transfer candidate. Thanks Malik for a good season and for keeping the seat warm. Perry, you're still in it but your inability to grasp the mental part of the game to at least earn a backup role this year is a red flag. My hope is in the true freshman. Unlike Perry he is an early enrollee which says something. I also would have liked to see the Ga. transfer here just in case. We could fight and win the case of Ga. restricting him. in summary let's not forget that the qb position must first be about passing and handing off with running last.

Advertisement
The thing about a mobile QB is the THREAT of him running. It causes a D to break down so much faster if they are constantly looking into the backfield. Watch some of these highlights and you'll see a QB that understands when to run, and when to make a D THINK you are going to run.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3878790/jarren-williams

Lets be real. After seeing two freshmen perform in the Championship game, Rozier should realize just how inaccurate and incapable he is at completing passes and give QB up. Between Nkosi, Weldon and Williams we'll have top caliber QB and backup. Rozier couldn't throw a ball into the ocean if he were standing in the beach. We must and will move on from Rozier.

Last night showed that QBs need to be able to pass the ball unless they rare sort in right game. Our 5 NCs with more of less stand there QB shows that you do not need to have a QB who can run to win an NC. Vinny shows how great one who can do both can be and still NOT win a NC. Mark clearly wants an mobile QB. This is fine but he needs to be a better passer than running or his default will be to run like all Urban qbs. Last night might have shown that the day of the running QB has again(lots of them before we killed them off in the 80's) passed, at least for now.

Advertisement
Guys on this board were calling for a mobile qb for us for years. I understand that. Kaaya was an immobile statue in the pocket but so was Dorsey, Walsh, and Kosar. The difference was they had great OL's. It's easy to look at Teboe, Cam Newton, and Deshean Watson and not see the value of mobility but what we saw last night is that the major qualifications for that position has to be the ability to get the ball into your playmakers hands and the mental capacity to read defenses. You need to be smart and have sufficient arm strength to hit recievrs all over the field. Those two freshmen last night blew me away with their mastery of the passing game. Both are mobile but that game was fought in the air. So much for Sabans experimentation with RPO emphasis. Jalen Hurts is a transfer candidate. Thanks Malik for a good season and for keeping the seat warm. Perry, you're still in it but your inability to grasp the mental part of the game to at least earn a backup role this year is a red flag. My hope is in the true freshman. Unlike Perry he is an early enrollee which says something. I also would have liked to see the Ga. transfer here just in case. We could fight and win the case of Ga. restricting him. in summary let's not forget that the qb position must first be about passing and handing off with running last.

Agreed on nearly all points except for your assumptions about Perry. It's entirely possible that he wasn't given any real shot to be the backup because the coaches wanted him to digest the system (given that he missed the spring) and save a year of eligibility rather than give us a handful of snaps this year as a backup. Either way, hype to see a much improved passer under center next season.

Advertisement

dorsey, walsh, and kosar played at a time that you could triple option your way to the national championship game. modern college football requires at least the threat of running to be elite with a few exceptions. every playoff team this year had a quarterback that could tuck it and run when needed, and every playoff team that had a pure pocket passer (with the exception of coker) got smacked.

Last edited:
Rosier missed on 5+ WR screen passes in the Pitt game.

Think if we had the Toledo QB on this team, instead of Rosier. We'd still of likely lost to Clemson, but Pitt and Wiscy would of been rolled.

Advertisement

Agreed on nearly all points except for your assumptions about Perry. It's entirely possible that he wasn't given any real shot to be the backup because the coaches wanted him to digest the system (given that he missed the spring) and save a year of eligibility rather than give us a handful of snaps this year as a backup. Either way, hype to see a much improved passer under center next season.
Exactly! I’m glad to see another Cane with a brain.

Cool write up but terrible assumption or doubt on Perry. Players wanted him to be the guy last year based off his performance before the season. Richt handled it well. Intent was to redshirt once he wasn't the starter

Kosar definitely did NOT have a great OL. No better than this one. What he had was pinpoint accuracy on all levels of throws. He had a converted TE playing OT, for chrissakes. A real makeshift OL! Except for maybe the 2001 team, none of our NC OLs were really all that great. I will give you the fact that Kosar did have maybe the greatest pass protection blocking RB/FB (Albert Bentley) in UM history.

Advertisement
Perry starts. Rosier or Weldon backs up. Williams shirts.

That's the plan going into spring.

I'd actually be surprised if Weldon can stay ahead of Williams.

We need to shirt Williams. Need that year of separation.

Not if he can win the job right now. I will say, IF he finishes #2 , you keep him on the bench as much as possible to try to preserve his redshirt, for the reason you stated. If he wins, things get interesting. Any lower than #2 and he certainly redshirts.

Advertisement
Back