The Problems Our Defense had Against K-State

thanks CB...like the analysis. Really hope AG can reel in his best man and get the D on track. I am with some of the previous posts...rather go balls out and be aggressive and lose than sit back and lose. I remember my DC in college use to say that he did not care if we messed up just as long as we were going 110% and being aggressive. Of course we got chewed out if we screwed up but the point being that he wanted us to be out there aggressive "flying around" rather than passive

Advertisement
Play Number 2

115.jpg

Pre Snap of the play where the QB rumbles for big yards

116.jpg

This is the result of play number 2. Huge running lanes open ups.

This happened over and over and over again. It was brutal to watch. Klein scored on it. Sams scored on it 2x. I was sitting in the south endzone and I could see the lane 5yds wide right up the gut. He was gonna get 5 or 6 yds on either side of the center before anybody in white touched him. In fact, I feel like there were some plays where they went 4 wide with a back next to Klein and we were in the same positions pre-snap.

It makes me wonder what our coaches were looking at in the film prior to this game. KSU has done this (5 wide and run the qb) for years. They did it all last year as well. This should not have been a surprise.

Is that Smith in the middle of the field dancing with their OL? LB, looks like ER is in position to make the play with a 3-4 yard gain. Feels like we are playing 8 guys on defense.

Advertisement
You are cherry picking individual plays and telling us how we could have stopped those individual plays, because you know the result of those individual plays.....good for you. What if the TE would have ran a post route on play #5? What if they would have released the FB on a flag route? Who would be there to cover them? It comes down to being GAP sound and that has been the problem thus far. Quit over analyzing.

This is true. Hindsight is 20/20. There are tons of things we could have done differently if we knew the plays.

However, I do agree with City about the numbers game. It was ridiculous to see us put 5 or 6 in the box while they would have 7 or 8 potential blockers between the O-line and backfield.

You do realize that three of the blockers you listed in your description are also possible receivers don't you genius?

The receivers were decoys. In all those pictures we were out manned in the box, meaning K State had more blockers than defenders. To overcome that a team would need a disruptive defensive line. We have not shown this season that we can be disruptive on the defensive line. So in what was essentially a one on one battle, K State won.

If I had to ask Coach D'O a question it would be why he did not attempt to even the numbers up front? Was it because he does not trust his secondary or are the team as a whole to young to understand complex schemes?

My presumption is that it's a lack of trust. We were obviously outnumbered or, at best, even-numbered in the box. We flashed some different stuff in the 3rd quarter, but it was too late and as soon as we did, they hit the seam. Right now, we're in a pick your poison scenario. If I had to pick my poison, though, it'd be getting beat in man on the outside.

I would as well, let the kids man-up on the outside and see if the results are any different, couldn't hurt at this point.

Play Number 2

115.jpg

Pre Snap of the play where the QB rumbles for big yards

116.jpg

This is the result of play number 2. Huge running lanes open ups.

This happened over and over and over again. It was brutal to watch. Klein scored on it. Sams scored on it 2x. I was sitting in the south endzone and I could see the lane 5yds wide right up the gut. He was gonna get 5 or 6 yds on either side of the center before anybody in white touched him. In fact, I feel like there were some plays where they went 4 wide with a back next to Klein and we were in the same positions pre-snap.

It makes me wonder what our coaches were looking at in the film prior to this game. KSU has done this (5 wide and run the qb) for years. They did it all last year as well. This should not have been a surprise.

Not beating my chest or anything, as I'm sure many Cane fans saw it coming, but I'm watching with my dad and I told him the second I saw the formation and us subsequently part like the red sea... that Klein on a draw.

After it happened the SECOND TIME my dad asked a simple question, "If you can see that coming... how come they can't?"

Sad

The problem on defense is that we're rotating to many guys.
This is great for depth building but sucks for scheme execution.
I think this is what ticked Luther and his dad off and they have a point.
However Golden is thinking long term.
As the year goes on and the coaches find their core starters the defense will improve as it did last year.
Heading into next year with a core in place and solid depth, the defense should dominate from game 1 and be a top 10 defense.
Patience and trust in Golden. Next year is the year.

Advertisement
Your "correction" of play 4 is exactly what I'd like to see more of. 2 high man under, LBs zone (the zones also becomes spys for QB draws and scrambles.
And play 1 is just downright retarded how we lined up.

We really do have the worst scheme in the ACC. Very bad coaching & we'll continue to get exposed on a weekly basis.

Just sucks because I really bought into what Golden's doing... but D'Onofrio hasn't even shown glimpses of being a competent coordinator.

Explain?

1) We don't have a LB in proper position to cover the TE ("Y" could run to the flats, as he did, and open up the left side for a TE quick out)
2) I don't like the FS (assuming VT) positioned directly over nickel. Setting himself up for a bad angle (unless you're disguising something... we didn't)
3) Not a fan of showing press at the LOS on X & Z but playing soft on the slot? Makese no sense.

If you're gonna play 8 yards off a WR... do so on the WR furthest from the QB. Common sense?

I'm not an Xs and Os guy so can someone explain to me why the DL are to engage to OL? I see complaints about no pressure on the QB but how is that to happen with this strategy?

Advertisement
Advertisement
our we playing pass first??

If we are sitting with both safeties that far back most of the time we are. I have not had time to go through play by play on the defensive side of the ball and see exactly how we are matching up. Way to busy these days.

In the day and age of the running QB though, you almost have to increase the number to 9 in the box to completely snuff the run. Even with 9 in the box you are still only matching up one on one out what is usually called standard sets (i.e.QB, 5 OL, TE, RB, FB, 2 WR). So when it comes to numbers, you can now see how it is not hard to be outnumbered to defend the run.

I think it is fairly evident there are some trust issues in our secondary if we are lining up this far off.

Respectfully disagree on this one, talent is the big problem, not that our DC shouldn't try something different, and I'm not saying he the solution, but the problem is talent up front. We have two LB, maybe one DT, and maybe 1 DE who could have played in the 2-deep for a good Miami defense in any season since 1985. Despite what scheme we run, these guys are still going to struggle mightily against any competent offense. I think most will improve, but can you really see our freshmen DB getting playing time for either the 2001 or 2002 Canes? Or Conrnelius cracking the rotation at LB at any other time in the 21st Century?

Advertisement
Back