The Orange Bowl

Advertisement
I guess I don't understand how miami would go to the orange. Wouldn't the loser of the acc championship game go to orange bowl since they would be 2nd place in acc?

I guess I don't understand how miami would go to the orange. Wouldn't the loser of the acc championship game go to orange bowl since they would be 2nd place in acc?

no, actually last year it was FSU vs Duke and duke lost the ACCCG but Clemson who did not play in the ACCCG ended up going to the OB (and beat Ohio State :) )

can Miami end up in the OB? i think there is a chance. but it all depends on the overall record. and how we finish the season. If we end up finishing very strong and some teams in front of us slack.. we would be a very attractive team for a bowl game.

Advertisement
I don't know the bowl scenarios nor care to try to figure it out, but do you really think The Orange Bowl Committee would select the Canes over all those other teams with winning records and victories over ranked teams? Ask yourself, if Louisville, ND, Clemson, Ole Miss, Arizona State, Michigan State, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, GT, USC, UCLA etc, or any combination there of were available, the Orange Bowl would select Miami? Of all those teams would you put a night with your girlfriend or wife that an Al lead team would beat any of them? Look, I love the Canes program and pull for them every game, but I have no confidence that Al is the guy.

Miami V ND in the Orange Bowl would make good TV. Al has us conditioned to expect a butt whipping but still would like that game. Good ratings game for sure and ND travels lots of fans for tourist stuff. Maybe half-time show could included JJ and that little **** in a boxing match. We do have two very high profile players for the promos -- Duke and Kaaya the next big thing. Maybe everyone is tired of all those boring sec teams by now.

They need to rename the orange bowl, everytime I hear it mentioned it makes me miss that stadium. That was a homefiled advantage.

I don't believe for a second that the OB committee, or any other bowl committee, really cares about who the most deserving team is. It will be a decision based on $$$, not records. Ask yourself why there are 39 bowls?

Advertisement
Let me try and help with this a little bit. I read an article on the acc website that explained why it was important for Clemson and GT to keep winning. The rule is the Orange bowl has to take the highest ranked ACC team no matter what, no exceptions. So in Dmoney's scenario it is possible it is us. (however small that chance)

For example if we are 8-4 and ranked #20 and GT is 9-4 and ranked #22, the Orange Bowl is required to take Miami. It does not matter that they beat us.

The only exception would be if non of the other ACC teams are ranked. In that case the committee would be allowed to chose.

I'll look for the article.

Last edited:
They need to rename the orange bowl, everytime I hear it mentioned it makes me miss that stadium. That was a homefiled advantage.

Hah thats what I thought this thread was about since it couldnt obviously be about us making an orange bowl appears, but alas it is. I dont really care what bowl we are in...we just need to win the final two regular season games and get a ******* bowl victory. The way some of the media is already praising us the hype will be bigger on us next year (especially if we win out). They already pick us to win the coastal every year and if I had to guess they'd pick us to win it next year if they were asked right now. Lets just finish a season for ***** sake.

Cant find the article but here are a few quotes showing the rule. Some of them are a few weeks old.

As for the other major bowls, the Orange Bowl lost the ACC champion (FSU), so it gets the next highest ranked ACC team, No. 19 Clemson. Then the Orange selects the next highest ranked team from the Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame. That would pit Clemson against No. 5 Alabama.

Both Brett McMurphy and Mark Schlabach project Florida State in the College Football Playoff, which means the next highest-ranked ACC team in the College Football rankings earns an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl to face a Big Ten or SEC team or Notre Dame.

Three ACC teams -- Clemson, Duke and Georgia Tech -- are living dangerously at the bottom of the rankings. This isn’t a case where the rankings are meaningless and the Orange Bowl can pick one conference team over another for monetary reasons. The highest-ranked ACC team will be in the Orange Bowl.

What happens if the conference does not have a team outside of Florida State in the top 25, though? An ACC official told David Teel of the Daily Press (Newport News, Virginia) the league office would consult with a combination of the Orange Bowl, SEC, Big Ten and Notre Dame to determine the ACC qualifier.

Right now, Clemson is in the driver’s seat as the Tigers are ranked the highest at No. 21 and have a relatively smooth pass. If Duke or Miami, which is unranked, were to win out, it would mean a win over Florida State, and unless the Seminoles completely tumble from No. 2, they would likely get the Orange Bowl bid. Clemson and Georgia Tech will play Nov. 15 in a game with obvious implications, but both have end-of-the-season SEC games on the schedule. So, even the winner of Clemson-Georgia Tech wouldn’t be guaranteed the Orange Bowl berth if it faltered against the nonconference rival. The Yellow Jackets seemingly have the tougher in-state SEC rival, although both Georgia Tech and Clemson have not fared well in each team’s rivalry series of late.

South Carolina beats Clemson

Georgia beats GT

FSU beats GT

ND beats Lville

Miami wins out

We in

Advertisement
Rok, throw in a UNC loss to NC State just to be on the safe side. Their win over Duke was more impressive than ours.

Good call whoopingcanes

This is also incumbent on BC loosing to the FSU on Saturday. I don't think FSU will look dominate though.

Advertisement
I don't know the bowl scenarios nor care to try to figure it out, but do you really think The Orange Bowl Committee would select the Canes over all those other teams with winning records and victories over ranked teams? Ask yourself, if Louisville, ND, Clemson, Ole Miss, Arizona State, Michigan State, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, GT, USC, UCLA etc, or any combination there of were available, the Orange Bowl would select Miami? Of all those teams would you put a night with your girlfriend or wife that an Al lead team would beat any of them? Look, I love the Canes program and pull for them every game, but I have no confidence that Al is the guy.

^Take a deep breath and re-read the thread

Advertisement
Back