The Opening Miami Results

Always view the 40 times in context. What did the fast guys run at that particular event? Nike events are typically slow.
Aren't the nike events usually laser timed?

Less so than being slow, they probably tend to be accurate. I think there is a perception that there are more true sub 4.5 football players out there than there actually are. Sub 4.5 is really fast, and really uncommon when timed accurately.

Advertisement

Less so than being slow, they probably tend to be accurate. I think there is a perception that there are more true sub 4.5 football players out there than there actually are. Sub 4.5 is really fast, and really uncommon when timed accurately.

Theyll never learn this.

Exactly! Some people think every skill position player is going to run a 4.5 or under, but it ain't so. A legitimate 4.5 40 is blazing. Even in the NFL there are plenty of WRs and DBs who don't run a 4.5 (again legitimately, not this hand-timed bs).

Also, you have to consider that these kids are juniors in H.S. With physical maturation and training, their times will improve.

Based only on these numbers I'd say the top performers are:

Evan Neal OT, absolute behmoth and strong. Needs to lose weight for sure.
Kaiir Elam CB, Great height and weight. Great strength, fast and quick. The only thing that wasn't great was his vert
Akeem Dent CB, not as great size as Elam. A little quicker/explosive and great strength as well.
Jordan Battle S, Best size of all DBs. basically as fast/quick as Dent and Elam. good explosiveness on vert, and good strength.
Tyler Scott CB, solid size similar to Dent. Best shuttle and a great vert show he's very explosive. his 40 was average.
Gary Cooper TE, given his size, he's a wr. average 40 and shuttle. but great throw and vert. did better than dunmore and payton at wr.

Bogle wasn't bad but he definitely wasn't great, so I'd say thats disappointing athletically. And Samuel Anaele is big, but not too athletic with the slow 40 and shuttle and then the short Vert to top it off.

Advertisement
Payton is very similar physically to Ahmonn Richards at the same stage. Seems like a good comparison for me. What both he and Richards have is incredibly long arms too. So he might be 6 1/2, but he has the catch radius of a 6'3" guy

Advertisement
Surprised that both Payton and Dunmore ran a 4.7 which is a bit concerning. I wonder what the field conditions were and how many times they ran.
Payton said he slipped on the 1st 40. Then said his 2nd 40 was faster but they didn't record it.

I just used the word “slow” instead of going through that explanation. The times are slow compared to other times you see being quoted at other events and by schools and players because they’re using a more accurate means of measuring speed.

That’s why you always need to look at the times of the fast guys at each particular event and compare them to other guys at the same event. Some dude claiming a time of 4.4 might actually be a 4.7 guy at a Nike event.

Please. Pope's neck is like half a foot. His effective height is more like 5'10.

While Pope and Payton are both elite WRs, there's a world of difference in their size and strength.
Effective height? Dudes are just making up new stuff now.

Advertisement
Keontra Smith would be an interesting take at LB instead of safety, has similar measurables to Roquain Smith.

The two sta lbs like i knew were undersized. I dont know if 6'0 190pd lbs work in our scheme. (Soloman,Brown_)

They don't look big in person, either.

I think Diaz is looking for guys who can cover and are smart. Even in a camp setting, you could tell they play under control and know what they're doing.

Advertisement
They don't look big in person, either.

I think Diaz is looking for guys who can cover and are smart. Even in a camp setting, you could tell they play under control and know what they're doing.

Yea but that size though?. I mean our fs prospect in Jordan Battle is bigger and faster than both.
I can see taking one of the 2, but two lbs at 6'0 200pds coming in?. I dont know.

Soloman's performance was pedestrian to match pedestrian size and weight. Not impressed there at all. The STA corners are another story. Get them boys on sending in LOI's in December.

Sam Snyder caught my eye in drills and those testing numbers confirm that. He was mostly an LT for his high school. Would love to see him at a Miami camp.

Advertisement
Back