The OL came to play.

The lack of variety and no uniqueness of the run plays we run hurts our oline imo too

Advertisement
[TWEET]940272741877452800[/TWEET]

Navaughn was a freshman all american. We have the best tackles in the ACC when it comes to pass blocking. No question that the season end's offensive issues were on Malik. I love him for what he did to FSU and getting us the coastal, but he is limited.

Let's not dwell on the negatives. Searels was a great hire. Can't wait till he gets more of his guys in the rotation. Our OL shouldn't ever be a weakness again.

But... you got to be able to run the ball against the likes of mighty Clemson, or Roll Tide or Georgia, or even Wisconsin. Because if a team doesn't sustain a decent rushing attack against teams akin to the latter. Then it's going to be a CHARLOTTE MASSACRE redux. Ouch. No not the Little Big Horn massacre. hUh.

Dan Jr, I tend to agree with you on a lot of stuff but for me the jury is still out on Searles. The line was better this year but thwy were still pathetic in short yardage. Maybe there wasn't enough maulers up front but when I see Bethune stoning our guys on the goal line, it concerns me. I will agree that a lot of the general issues running the ball had to do with teams not respecting the pass but on first and goal from the one, you should be able to score on the ground.

The O-line was SORRY in the red zone too! And it's the red zone where an ABOVE-AVERAGE line should dominate! Joquin say we ain't dominating!

The guys are starting to get better. Some guys are as good as they'll ever be, and will still get used abt abused in the heat of the battle. We need some real athletes on the OL, that happen to be big.

Hoping we start bringing in the right type of guys, and not just Jag's with the Height/Weight measurements (6'4-6'7 & 290-330lbs).

Lastly, we gotta teach our guys the art of holding... Which is on the verge of getting a flag without getting caught, and playing through the whistle. Do that, and we back.

If you looked at the boards of opposing teams fans, we were accused of holding all year. I sure as **** didn't see it - if we *were* holding, we weren't very good at it.

The lack of variety and no uniqueness of the run plays we run hurts our oline imo too

True but against the Bethune Cookman's of the world it shouldn't matter and we still were still stuffed all year.

Something that helped the line was Rose making quicker decisions and being able to move. However at times I wished he would give the receivers more time to get open instead of just pulling it down to run. That could be what he has been taught though, to look at one maybe two reads then take off.

Advertisement
Not wanting to be "that guy", but was the line appreciatively better or was it Rosier being able to move?

Advance stats like the one posted takes those things into account. If a guy gets beat, he gets beat, no matter if his QB is able to escape the pressure or not.

The thing that scares me though is that these guys were not JAGs coming out of high school. McDermott and Darling in particular were very highly recruited tackles. You would think a line consisting of 4 star players would have a little more success.

DQy1I0FV4AABDuF.jpg

Sacks are sacks but the "Hit" and "Pressure" numbers are mine. Last 2 columns are rated on # of dropbacks (passes-screens). Last year I had 7 sacks being the fault of the QB. This year that number is at 7 (6 Rosier, 1 Shirreffs).

2017 breakdown by group

Sacks - 5 OT, 11 IOL, 1 RB, 7 QB
Hits - 6 OT, 8 IOL, 3 RB
Pressures - 17 OT, 16 IOL, 5 RB

Run blocking (and extreme lack of cohesion on double teams) is a whole other thing. You can complain about the play calls all you want but not doubling the playside 1T on 3rd and 1 is asking for trouble no matter who the center is.

Is Coach Searles underperforming or is it just the offensive linemen underperforming or is it a combination of both? Those questions must be answered during this offseason and corrective solutions implemented.

Clearly, Clemson’s defensive line mauled our offensive line, yet, Clemson’s defensive line mauled most all offensive lines they lined up against. Unfortunately, the Canes offensive line was mauled numerous time this past season by forgettable defensive lines.

When 3rd and 1, or, 4th and 1 almost always rules out a successful running play, then you know you’ve got SERIOUS offensive line issues.

The Canes had zero push by any offensive linemen this year. Simply put, there was no real running game that makes this year’s impressive win/loss record nothing short of astounding.

While the pass blocking was adequate as the year progressed linemen were being regularly pushed backed into Rosier’s face and passing lanes, which speaks to the many batted down or tipped passes. If not for Rosier’s mobility and pocket presence the sack total would have been markedly higher. And, it is important to factor in ‘hurries’.

Hopefully, the time period between the ACC Championship game and the upcoming game with Wisconsin will allow for rest and rehabilitation, but that time must be dedicated to greatly improving our offensive line play, for if not, the Orange Bowl will be a long and disappointing night.

Advertisement
The OL looked like it regressed after the ND game. They got abused by Clemson (which is somewhat understandable) but they also looked bad against UVA and Pitt. Run blocking and short yardage was an issue all season long.

Advertisement
Back