The OL came to play.

Dan Sileo JR

Band
Banned
[TWEET]940272741877452800[/TWEET]

Navaughn was a freshman all american. We have the best tackles in the ACC when it comes to pass blocking. No question that the season end's offensive issues were on Malik. I love him for what he did to FSU and getting us the coastal, but he is limited.

Let's not dwell on the negatives. Searels was a great hire. Can't wait till he gets more of his guys in the rotation. Our OL shouldn't ever be a weakness again.

Advertisement
Dan Jr, I tend to agree with you on a lot of stuff but for me the jury is still out on Searles. The line was better this year but thwy were still pathetic in short yardage. Maybe there wasn't enough maulers up front but when I see Bethune stoning our guys on the goal line, it concerns me. I will agree that a lot of the general issues running the ball had to do with teams not respecting the pass but on first and goal from the one, you should be able to score on the ground.

Both great points, which kindve solidifies my opinion on the fact that we had a very good OL that could protect for long enough and not give up too many sacks, but whether its scheme or formation or just muscle, our run blocking is just awful.

I think Darling and Gauthier were awful. Both tended to get their **** pushed in during short yardage plays.

St Louis and McDermott are decent pass protectors but not maulers (aka a guy who can push his man back).

Really the only mauler we had was Donaldson.

IMO Searles is doing a good job with what he inherited. The kids he inherited were not good run blockers to begin with to be honest, weve struggled running for a few years now. I have a feeling the run blocking will get better when we get the kids like Scaife, Reed, more of the Donaldson's and Gaynor's of future classes. Those are road grading inside OL that move people. Only then can the run game get better.

However Searles should be given a ton of credit for the job he did with pass protection. We stood strong a lot more times than we can so they were running free to our qb.

Advertisement
I think Darling and Gauthier were awful. Both tended to get their **** pushed in during short yardage plays.

St Louis and McDermott are decent pass protectors but not maulers (aka a guy who can push his man back).

Really the only mauler we had was Donaldson.

Wish i saw your post before i started writing. You summed up everything quite nicely

Not wanting to be "that guy", but was the line appreciatively better or was it Rosier being able to move?

I don't blame everything on the players. There were times where they were completely unprepared for twists, stunts and blitzes we had seen repeatedly. That can happen here and there, or even through the course of whole game, but when it never gets fixed, and seems to be getting worse throughout a season, IMO coaching is part of the equation. Even with us starting a true fresmans, teams with less talent have done a better job, even against our DL.

Advertisement
run blocking was atrocious in run situations. we could only run when the D was playing the pass.

Jury is 100% out on Searles

Donaldson struggled badly all year, especially after his injury.

St Louis and McDermott were better pass blockers than run blockers, but they were very bad pass blockers.

This was by far the worst run blocking, Miami OL in a decade and that saying a lot considering how bad they were last season. No one had a good season on the Miami OL. Maybe Darling was mediocre. St Louis was our worst run blocker at the point of attack in a decade.

There has not been any clear evidence that Searles can coach them up.

I thought opening holes for the RB's is important too to be a good OL, no?
Red zone offense?
Punch it in at the 2 yard line?
When Richt said we are not good enough to lineup and dominate people, did he mean our deficiency is our inferior running backs only?
I think you are drinking tons of Koolaid my friend.

A line coach,.. On either side of the ball,.. Is a game changer,.. And one if the more difficult positions to coach to an elite level. Give searles a chance to restock a barren depth chart, so our linemen can actually rotate,.. And lets see what we look like then. Our guys don't have much behind them for depth,..and I'm sure the numbers would look better with quality rotational players,.. As well as the couple here n there who will be able to start as underclassmen.

I would like to believe this year we see a much improved o-line. Another year in the weight room,.. And coaching,.. I think we see the team take another step forward.

Advertisement
Dan Jr, I tend to agree with you on a lot of stuff but for me the jury is still out on Searles. The line was better this year but thwy were still pathetic in short yardage. Maybe there wasn't enough maulers up front but when I see Bethune stoning our guys on the goal line, it concerns me. I will agree that a lot of the general issues running the ball had to do with teams not respecting the pass but on first and goal from the one, you should be able to score on the ground.

Great point. That's why I added that I can't wait to see what happens when they get his guys in. We're recruiting much bigger dudes (Cleveland Reed, Delone Scaife...) that should help in run blocking.

I won't discredit the fact that Kaaya would eat dirt all game and two years later that has diminished greatly. Though to another poster's point, Rosier definitely helps.

Both great points, which kindve solidifies my opinion on the fact that we had a very good OL that could protect for long enough and not give up too many sacks, but whether its scheme or formation or just muscle, our run blocking is just awful.

Not converting 3rd or 4th and 1 seems to me has little to do with scheme. Its not letting the man in front of you kick your ***. Blame Searles if it fits your narrstive tho.

Advertisement
Donaldson struggled badly all year, especially after his injury.

St Louis and McDermott were better pass blockers than run blockers, but they were very bad pass blockers.

This was by far the worst run blocking, Miami OL in a decade and that saying a lot considering how bad they were last season. No one had a good season on the Miami OL. Maybe Darling was mediocre. St Louis was our worst run blocker at the point of attack in a decade.

There has not been any clear evidence that Searles can coach them up.

Lol what a dumbass comment. The OP posted clear evidence.

However the blame gets dividied up, our OL was BAD when we needed a yard or two. So bad that we threw fade passes to. 5'9" WR rather than pound the rock. If this doesn't get fixed next year our ceiling is winning the ACC coastal division and that's it

Having Realus George will help some too.

The guys are starting to get better. Some guys are as good as they'll ever be, and will still get used abt abused in the heat of the battle. We need some real athletes on the OL, that happen to be big.

Hoping we start bringing in the right type of guys, and not just Jag's with the Height/Weight measurements (6'4-6'7 & 290-330lbs).

Lastly, we gotta teach our guys the art of holding... Which is on the verge of getting a flag without getting caught, and playing through the whistle. Do that, and we back.

Advertisement
Back