The official board of angry patrons versus Jagr thread

haha I didnt even realize he said that. Referring to Toral as a guy who only hits singles shows he hasnt even seen a single game this year, or even read a box score.

Toral is 5th in the country in home runs

That was his assessment of Toral during the off-season.

It's still bad, though.

Advertisement
Oh, and recruiting better players includes taking a look outside Miami-Dade on your own without waiting for out of state kids to contact you first.

This is how I know that you are clueless.

The biggest institutional problem that Miami faces is not Gino or this coach or that coach or recruiting generally.

It is about the fact that baseball is an equivalency-scholarship sport, and it is god**** hard to find baseball players who want to pay 30 or 40K for their tuition when the State of Florida is jam-packed with state schools whose tuition rates are a fraction of Miami's.

The reason for the reliance on SoFla kids is a very practical one, SoFla baseball players (GENERALLY) come from wealthier families and/or can live at home while they go to UM.

It's not so easy to just go out to "recruit nationally" when you are at the southeast extreme corner of the US and there is very little revenue, very little recruiting budget, and the players have to pay for half or more of their own tuition at one of the most expensive private universities in the country. And as much as I love my alma mater, UM is not considered to be as good of a private school as Duke or Wake or Vandy or USC or Rice or Northwestern, so asking a baseball recruit to pay $30 or $40K per year to go to UM is not such an easy ask.

The biggest institutional problem that Miami faces is not Gino or this coach or that coach or recruiting generally.

It is about the fact that baseball is an equivalency-scholarship sport, and it is god**** hard to find baseball players who want to pay 30 or 40K for their tuition when the State of Florida is jam-packed with state schools whose tuition rates are a fraction of Miami's.

The reason for the reliance on SoFla kids is a very practical one, SoFla baseball players (GENERALLY) come from wealthier families and/or can live at home while they go to UM.

It's not so easy to just go out to "recruit nationally" when you are at the southeast extreme corner of the US and there is very little revenue, very little recruiting budget, and the players have to pay for half or more of their own tuition at one of the most expensive private universities in the country. And as much as I love my alma mater, UM is not considered to be as good of a private school as Duke or Wake or Vandy or USC or Rice or Northwestern, so asking a baseball recruit to pay $30 or $40K per year to go to UM is not such an easy ask.

YES!!! A coherent statement. Couple points to add. In Florida, UF and FSU also benefit from the Bright Lights scholarship. UM is not eligible. Students with a 3.0 (B average) and an SAT of 1170 receive free tuition to Florida state schools. [Georgia offers the same scholarship.]

UM tuition is $45,724 versus Florida's $6,381. You are asking a baseball player to pay $157,372 more to play at UM. Gnome's response is to recruit only rich kids.

During Morris' worst stretch the team was 8th to 15th in the country on all measures, but that is a failure.

Anyone with half a brain knows that this team will rake in 2020 and 2021. If we continue to improve at the rate we currently are, we could be hosting a Regional!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the troll is not saying anything positive about the team the way it has been playing than he is obviously not a fan. Why the mods have not banned him at this point is a head scratcher

Advertisement
We've played more Q4 teams than anyone in the top 40, but "we back".

Just wanted to note that it took less than 10 hours for you to be wrong.

This could change but at this very moment Rutgers has moved to 150 in the RPI meaning that Miami doesn't have more Q4 wins than anybody in the top 40.

Just wanted to note that it took less than 10 hours for you to be wrong.

This could change but at this very moment Rutgers has moved to 150 in the RPI meaning that Miami doesn't have more Q4 wins than anybody in the top 40.

Correct.

We only have 7 Q4 wins as of now. Lots of top 40 teams have more.

YES!!! A coherent statement. Couple points to add. In Florida, UF and FSU also benefit from the Bright Lights scholarship. UM is not eligible. Students with a 3.0 (B average) and an SAT of 1170 receive free tuition to Florida state schools. [Georgia offers the same scholarship.]

UM tuition is $45,724 versus Florida's $6,381. You are asking a baseball player to pay $157,372 more to play at UM. Gnome's response is to recruit only rich kids.

During Morris' worst stretch the team was 8th to 15th in the country on all measures, but that is a failure.

Anyone with half a brain knows that this team will rake in 2020 and 2021. If we continue to improve at the rate we currently are, we could be hosting a Regional!

Ban this douche!

Ban this douche!
So the Bright Futures will cover SOME of private schools. It wasn't enough when I was on it to even look at UM, and thus went to UCF. I do not know what it covers now, and you get what basically a 1/3 scholarship in baseball and no wonder its crazy hard to recruit a private school.

Advertisement

You are so wrong on the Bright Futures scholarships that I am embarrassed that you claim to be a Miami fan.

A 3.0 and 1170 doesn't get free tuition.
Any kid who qualifies gets to apply the public school amount to the Florida private school of their choice. So Miami IS eligible.
It's not called "Bright Lights" for crying out loud.

It's like you wrote a satire post.

I wasn't wrong about Q4 wins. That was an absolute fact. That's like saying "we were #1 in the RPI"......until we weren't.

Advertisement
They were final tallies that meant absolutely nothing except to save Morris' failed legacy on a message board. No one cares about your RPI when you're giving up 25 runs to Florida.

Advertisement
They were final tallies that meant absolutely nothing except to save Morris' failed legacy on a message board. No one cares about your RPI when you're giving up 25 runs to Florida.

So now the RPI means nothing......except it gets you a national seed and hosting privileges into Omaha.

But, yeah. Nothing.

Except, of course, to the committee that will look at how a team got to its win total.

But you're right. Q4 wins mean nothing. But that doesn't stop this board from celebrating a series win over UMBC.

Miami would have to set up merit based endowments like Opportunity Vanderbilt, but in doing so it would open up the university for a lot scrutiny. Frankly, a baseball player with strong academics can qualify for academic scholarships, but the standard at Miami is very high. My son was offered 50% tuition. Didn't need it because he has an ROTC Type I with a 25% stipend from the university. Just living in Pentland with food is $14K. He is moving off campus and quite frankly an apartment is about a wash, but a single apartment is $1,500 per month. LoL, somewhat regrets not playing college lacrosse, he may try to walk-on for football when he gets to 190 pounds after watching on Saturday. Lacrosse is even worse because most rosters have 50+ players so you're lucky to get quarter money. Mount Saint Mary's offered him 50% academic tuition but he'd still be out of pocket $20K per year. Back to the point, private schools are seriously disadvantaged and tuition is closer to $50K per year (that's my son's bill). We figure his total bill is in the neighborhood of $68K with books, living expenses, etc.

Advertisement
Back