Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
That wasn’t his Offense, Kendal Briles was the OC when King had has 50TD season at Houston.
I'm sure he collaborated with Briles, Applewhite was the OC and play caller while Tom Herman was there and they were productive. Applewhite offense at Texas was horrible though so that's concerning but it was like 10 years ago.

Advertisement
Appreciate that data point. Are you comfortable sharing any more details about the Assistant AD that might help me put the assessment in context more? Has he/she ever had overlapping tenure somewhere with MA? Does your friend's job scope encompass being involved in coach hiring/vetting processes at all? Career suicide is a very dramatic assessment.

I'll share a data point going in the opposite direction: I had a phone call yesterday with a buddy who goes all the way back to high school football days with me and is now on Tom Herman's staff at FAU. Herman is pretty uniquely situated to assess MA I think for obvious reasons so I was quite interested to hear if there was any insight that could be passed on since MA's name was popping up here. Herman in fact had talked about MA casually after a meeting this weekend and my buddy shared those thoughts. I'll preface it by saying my buddy is a slight hater of the U and rarely misses an opportunity to discuss any breaking bad news for us (like cormani flipping for example). So I was pleasantly surprised when he broke the pattern and relayed that the opinion over there in boca is that MA is an excellent coach and would be a difference making hire for us if it happened.
No direct connection to him. He’s been at his school for 20+ years and was a key piece that hired their existing HC. He works directly with football and is very in-tune keeping tabs and databases of existing coaches and assistants/coordinators.

He was adamant that Cristobal should be shooting a lot higher than MA. It may not be a Gattis type floor but the ceiling is so low. He’s never going to coordinate a 40 PPG/national championship caliber offense and everyone knows it.

I was messaging another guy on twitter than runs a coaching search statistical and analytical database. They’ve worked with several schools in placing coaches and making picks.. he said Applewhite would be a C- hire according to their data.. also, he said if Mario leaned on their data and asked them to assist with making the pick he’d give him 3 names from college ranks.. Mike Yurcich (Penn State), Kevin Johns (Duke), and their guy they’ve rated as an upcoming superstar OC… Christian Taylor (William & Mary - FCS)

All i said was i laughed. I didnt laugh in his face. He didnt even know i laughed.

Jesus christ this modern sensitive **** kills me.

Calm down. He will be just fine.

Yet here you are making fun of him publicly on a message board that thousands and thousands of Canes fans, probably 80% of those who interact with him on twitter see. Laughing behind his back. Actually pretty cowardly too.

Just be a better person. It has zero to do with any "modern sensitive" ****. You'd be acting like an ******* in any era.

@crossover22[]_[] - ruling on this one?
6d84269d-0bc8-4f21-9fec-3d429d70c3d1_text.gif

No direct connection to him. He’s been at his school for 20+ years and was a key piece that hired their existing HC. He works directly with football and is very in-tune keeping tabs and databases of existing coaches and assistants/coordinators.

He was adamant that Cristobal should be shooting a lot higher than MA. It may not be a Gattis type floor but the ceiling is so low. He’s never going to coordinate a 40 PPG/national championship caliber offense and everyone knows it.

I was messaging another guy on twitter than runs a coaching search statistical and analytical database. They’ve worked with several schools in placing coaches and making picks.. he said Applewhite would be a C- hire according to their data.. also, he said if Mario leaned on their data and asked them to assist with making the pick he’d give him 3 names from college ranks.. Mike Yurcich (Penn State), Kevin Johns (Duke), and their guy they’ve rated as an upcoming superstar OC… Christian Taylor (William & Mary - FCS)

Christian Taylor is a guy I highlighted 2 years ago, he absolutely killed it at San Diego

Advertisement
i believe i know who you're speaking of, good guy. He also was a fan of the Guidry hire. He's been pushing Taylor for a minute, checked him out and would love it as a hire though I'm sure if the hire was announced as an OC from WIlliam & Mary, the fanbase would cause the internet to crash in revolt :ROFLMAO:

Yet here you are making fun of him publicly on a message board that thousands and thousands of Canes fans, probably 80% of those who interact with him on twitter see. Laughing behind his back. Actually pretty cowardly too.

Just be a better person. It has zero to do with any "modern sensitive" ****. You'd be acting like an ******* in any era.
Lmao did i ever say i laughed because his disability?

If i laughed to myself how was anyone hurt?

Making fun of him? I said i laughed. Find a post where i actually made fun of him.

Appreciate that data point. Are you comfortable sharing any more details about the Assistant AD that might help me put the assessment in context more? Has he/she ever had overlapping tenure somewhere with MA? Does your friend's job scope encompass being involved in coach hiring/vetting processes at all? Career suicide is a very dramatic assessment.

I'll share a data point going in the opposite direction: I had a phone call yesterday with a buddy who goes all the way back to high school football days with me and is now on Tom Herman's staff at FAU. Herman is pretty uniquely situated to assess MA I think for obvious reasons so I was quite interested to hear if there was any insight that could be passed on since MA's name was popping up here. Herman in fact had talked about MA casually after a meeting this weekend and my buddy shared those thoughts. I'll preface it by saying my buddy is a slight hater of the U and rarely misses an opportunity to discuss any breaking bad news for us (like cormani flipping for example). So I was pleasantly surprised when he broke the pattern and relayed that the opinion over there in boca is that MA is an excellent coach and would be a difference making hire for us if it happened.

Very interesting takes in both of this posts. Thank you guys.

Last edited:

It seems at a minimum we find common ground with not having MA as our top wish list candidate.

Advertisement

That's a good list right there...****...

Yurcich - last 10 years of resume - chef's kiss...

Taylor - I don't know as much about his whole career; his first year at W&M was the COVID year, but as for 2022, the ONLY bad offensive performance last year was the quarterfinal playoff game against #3 Montana State.

Interesting names, Jay!

[EDIT: also have to give @Memnon credit, that guy is a walking-talking encyclopedia of coaching names]

i believe i know who you're speaking of, good guy. He also was a fan of the Guidry hire. He's been pushing Taylor for a minute, checked him out and would love it as a hire though I'm sure if the hire was announced as an OC from WIlliam & Mary, the fanbase would cause the internet to crash in revolt :ROFLMAO:

Our fan base is the market, easily swayed by numbers or shiny objects. If his stats were good like Guidry, they'd all fall into line. Anyone who has ever failed for a minute though, or anyone who had a mid 2022 even with a 20 year track record... they'd be cannon fodder though.

Advertisement
It's not that hard.

I would have first offered Lebby. Offered him AHC/OC/QB coach job 2.4 million.

If he turned it down offer then pivot to Scott Frost. Offer him 1.8 million as OC/QB coach if he turned down

Pivot Jason Candle offer him 2 million as OC/AHC

If he turns down pivot to Kevin Johns offer 2 million with OC/QB job.

If he turns down pivot to Seth Litrell offer 1.8 million for OC

If he turns down offer Jeff Scott Co-OC/WR coach and Brandon Streeter Co-OC/QB coach.

Ok shouldn't be too hard Mario!!

They would quickly realize how foolish they are because CT is a Defense smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back