Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
1. He should’ve never been a HC in the nfl
2. Their overall roster is one of the worst in the league, their gm has been terrible. They drafted a LB in b2b years in the first round. Then they traded a first round pick for a tier 3 WR. Should’ve built the trenches, they have a mediocre dline and oline

Also kyler just isn’t that good, he’s above average in the nfl due to him being so small, cant see over the line so that cuts the playbook in half and the defense can now dictate where u go. Injury prone and apparently doesn’t take the game as serious as he should off the field.
I never understood the Kingsbury hire.

From a high level view, Jason Candle is a B hire. Not an offensive wizard that's going to blow anyone away but a capable, competent OC. He'd likely be here at least 2-3 years and give the offense some stability and continuity, which it desperately needs. TVD would certainly do better than he did with Gattis.

The added bonus is that a long time former HC could help Mario with some broader game management which he still struggles with. As a canes program, we should be satisfied if it proves to be him.

He will be here as long as Mario wants him to be here.

He’s never going to produce an offense that results in him being hired away.

So he’ll be here until he’s fired.

Which is scary, because he won’t be fired anytime soon.

It’s also crazy to argue stability matters at the OC position.
What this offense needs, and every offense, is to score a bunch of points. Nothing else matters, and nothing else should be valued above that.

From a high level view, Jason Candle is a B hire. Not an offensive wizard that's going to blow anyone away but a capable, competent OC. He'd likely be here at least 2-3 years and give the offense some stability and continuity, which it desperately needs. TVD would certainly do better than he did with Gattis.

The added bonus is that a long time former HC could help Mario with some broader game management which he still struggles with. As a canes program, we should be satisfied if it proves to be him.
moved to tears crying GIF

Advertisement

Replace Jason Candle with Todd Monken and I’ll bet you could find this exact post on a UGA board 4 years ago.

You‘d be amazed how secretive he is about this stuff. I’d bet Rad , Zo , Mirabal are the only ones who get all the info. Maybe Smith.
Well, I’m amazed how long the hiring process is taking. We all are.

Is this what ‘it looked like’ at Mario’s previous jobs?

Charlie Strong was a long-time HC too. Longer than Candle in fact. Was an associate HC on the NFL level. Didn't seem to matter. Lance Guidry was also a HC at McNeese State. So if we're assuming Mario would even listen to a coordinator in that regard he's already covered.

As far as how long Candle will stay? Since we're speculating, if he's actually worth the pursuit he'd be here no longer than two. You don't leave your HC job and your home state to be Miami's long-term answer at OC. Manny barely kept Lashlee beyond year 1 and he didn't have previous HC experience.

All that really matters is what he'll produce and since we played them in 2017-2018 he's devolved into this bunch set, plodding offense. And adjusted for competition and other variables like talent advantage his offenses have been bottom third in the country the last two years. Despite what the raw numbers say he's underperformed year after year. Finished only several spots ahead of Miami in 2022. Nothing about his on field results say this guy should be getting the Pancake Honcho treatment from Mario.

Advertisement
1. He should’ve never been a HC in the nfl
2. Their overall roster is one of the worst in the league, their gm has been terrible. They drafted a LB in b2b years in the first round. Then they traded a first round pick for a tier 3 WR. Should’ve built the trenches, they have a mediocre dline and oline

Also kyler just isn’t that good, he’s above average in the nfl due to him being so small, cant see over the line so that cuts the playbook in half and the defense can now dictate where u go. Injury prone and apparently doesn’t take the game as serious as he should off the field.
it was crazy to me how you get fired from Texas tech and wind up as an NFL HC.

It's more important to get the hire right than making the hire quick. No one will care how long this took if it doubles our amount of wins and produces a competent offense.
No argument on any of this. I just don’t think he does himself any favors w/ how he goes about this process.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Of course it was. The path to being an NFL OC is not dropping down to college and working your way back up. You stay as a position coach and either get promoted internally or follow someone who you worked with or know that is getting a HC job. Very few Joe Bradys. He had to set the college football world on fire to get an NFL OC job for a year.
Quite a fluke. Brady was an analyst for Sean Payton, and walked into a perfect situation at L$U. Did a great job, no question, but quickly over his head as OC in Carolina and fired. Now QB coach for the Bills.

We take these crazy reaches and hope they are true...

That's been the entirity of this thread.

Maybe Mario nails the hire.

Having said that, this thread is an example of most of humanity. When things are falling down around them, they make crazy leaps in logic and reasoning in an attempt to suspend reality.

The entire process has been a cluster ****. It doesn't have to be leaked or in the public eye to know its been such. The time and length to oust Gattis to naming his replacement is a joke.

We'll get who we get, but the idea that Mario is some mastermind who moves in silence, at least on the staffing front, has been eviscerated. Hope it works out, it still can, but hope for a great hire really makes people take some strange leaps.

You guys really couldn’t have been that dumb to think Johnson would come to Miami..

Why not? Only been in the league one year. Did a good job with Hurts but so did Enos. Big deal. As Highsmith allegedly said “Mickey Mouse could have been my coach.”

Not out of the question he gets passed over for a guy with more experience especially on a Super Bowl contending team.

He may get “consideration” (i.e. diversity, equity consideration) but he’s really unproven as a playcaller. Did a year stint as OC under Applewhite at Houston and Mullen at Florida. Both those guys been rumored to have talked to Mario during this OC search. Hmmmm.

Anyways, I doubt he wants the job but why would it be so far fetched to go from a position coach in NFL to a coordinator in college? Didn’t Fisch do that? I don’t know maybe I’m dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back