Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Wouldn't hurt to kick the tires on OC/QB Bryan Ellis at Georgia Southern. He's a Clay Helton disciple who put up solid numbers (1st in total yds and yds/game, 2nd in yds/play and TDs, 3rd in scoring) this year in the Sun Belt. Was OC at Western Kentucky before that. Crazy production.

I'd be good with taking OC/WR Mike Shanahan (no relation) and QB/PGC Tino Sunseri (Sal's son) from James Madison too. Sunseri worked under Saban and Jimbo. Shanahan was a GA under Jim Chaney.

But I thought Andy Ludwig was Mormon and would never leave Utah

C18FBB79-24BF-4F4D-A5C1-492EF7ED2770.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
For the record, I don’t think that anyone coaching Sunday will be our OC but if that were the case then every message on him taking too long (mine included) has been hilariously wrong
Yeah, you watch Brian Johnson is the guy, but he gets a DUI celebrating Sunday night and it sends Mario back into the bunker for another month to deliberate:p

Yeah, you watch Brian Johnson is the guy, but he gets a DUI celebrating Sunday night and it sends Mario back into the bunker for another month to deliberate:p
Can you get a dui from too much coffee?

Advertisement
This Candle thing sounds more unlikely each day. If their spring schedule is like ours, he's 4 weeks away from camp. If he was truly interested in leaving a HC gig for an OC gig (either here or elsewhere), he would have made that decision by now so as to not leave Toledo scrambling at the last minute.

Advertisement
This Candle thing sounds more unlikely each day. If their spring schedule is like ours, he's 4 weeks away from camp. If he was truly interested in leaving a HC gig for an OC gig (either here or elsewhere), he would have made that decision by now so as to not leave Toledo scrambling at the last minute.

It can't be getting more money out of Toledo since he just signed an extension in January.

If he was staying there, I don't see the point of negotiating with at least two other teams.

Either he comes here or he goes to Notre Dame - at this point I can't see staying at Toledo.

Last edited:
Two most likely possibilities:
  • Candle really is the choice but has been dragging his feet
  • Mario actually considers himself to be an offensive minded coach, so he's much more thorough and involved with the OC hires. Whereas on the defensive side he just looks at results and maybe consults a few people but there's less analysis paralysis.
Or he's waiting on Brian Johnson who still has a game to coach.
He’s already rumored to be interviewing for ND on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back