Official The OC Candidates Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I may have missed this, but did someone earlier in the thread say that Mario and Candle have the same agent? Am I imagining things? Confusing that info with another potential OC candidate? It's 9:22am, i can't be drunk ...

I may have missed this, but did someone earlier in the thread say that Mario and Candle have the same agent? Am I imagining things? Confusing that info with another potential OC candidate? It's 9:22am, i can't be drunk ...

That is correct.

I had never heard of Kevin Johns

Kevin Johns joined the Blue Devil gridiron program in January 2022, and serves as the offensive coordinator. Johns also coaches Duke's quarterbacks.

Johns, who has over 10 years of experience as an offensive coordinator, comes to Durham after serving three seasons as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Memphis.

While there, Johns helped the Tigers earn three bowl invitations, including a 25-10 win over Florida Atlantic in the 2020 Montgomery Bowl. During each of his three seasons, Memphis was among the top five in the American Athletic Conference in scoring offense, including averaging 30.1 points this past season. The Tigers also finished last year second in the AAC in passing offense (298.8), third in offensive yards (435.8), third in first downs (22.5), and third in third down conversion percentage (71-of-174 for 40.8 percent).

In 2020, the Tigers finished the year 22nd in the nation in total offense (453.1) and ranked 17th in both passing offense (307.9) and first down offense (260). Memphis totaled five games with over 500 yards of total offense, including an impressive 703 total yards against Central Florida. During that game, the Tigers set a school-record, coming back from a 17-point deficit in the third quarter to earn the 50-49 win. The 703 total yards of offense were the fifth-most in Memphis history.

In his first season, Memphis ranked among the top 20 nationally in nine statistical categories: passing yards (7th), scoring offense (8th), passing yards/completion (9th), total offense (10th), first downs (10th), passing efficiency (10th), passing offense (17th), passing touchdowns (17th) and third down percentage (19th). The Tigers accumulated more than 500 yards of total offense seven times on the year, including 542 yards versus Big Ten foe Penn State in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic. That season, Johns mentored a 4,000-yard passer (Brady White), a 1,000-yard rusher (Kenneth Gainwell) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Damonte Coxie).

Throughout his three years, Johns coached nine players to 12 All-AAC honors, including two-time recipients in Calvin Austin III, Sean Dykes and Dylan Parham. He also mentored Gainwell and Tahj Washington to All-American accolades. Gainwell garnered FWAA-Shaun Alexander, AFCA, and Sporting News Freshman All-America nods in 2019, while being tabbed the FWAA and The American Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year. Washington earned FWAA Freshman All-America praise in 2020 after recording 43 receptions for 743 yards (17.3 avg) with six touchdowns.

Before Memphis, Johns spent the 2018 season as the offensive coordinator/inside wide receivers and tight ends coach at Texas Tech University. He guided a Red Raiders offense that ranked fourth in the country with 352.6 passing yards per game and 12th with 485.2 total yards per game. Texas Tech also averaged 37.3 points per game that season, which was the fourth-best mark in the Big 12.

Prior to that, Johns served a one-year stint as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Western Michigan University in 2017. The Broncos ranked 25th in the country that year with 33.9 points per game and 21st with 224.8 rushing yards per game.

From 2011-16, Johns spent six years at Indiana, the final three as the program’s sole offensive coordinator. He also assisted with coaching the quarterbacks and wide receivers after arriving as a co-offensive coordinator in 2011. The Hoosiers rewrote 54 school records during Johns’ time there, including season marks for points, total yards, passing yards and rushing yards.

In 2015, Indiana had a 3,500-yard passer, two 1,000-yard rushers and a 1,000-yard receiver, en route to leading the Big Ten in scoring offense at 36.5 points per game. Two years prior, Indiana had five 1,000-yard receivers playing at the same time. One of them was Cody Latimer, who was one of eight NFL draftees during Johns’ time in Bloomington. Another one was Shane Wynn, who closed his career among the top four in multiple career categories at Indiana, including receptions (189), 250-yard games (13), 200-yard games (19), four-TD games (5) and all-purpose yards (4,429) before joining the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Johns served a second stint on staff at Northwestern University from 2004-10 in a variety of different roles after a three-year tenure from 1999-2001 as an offensive graduate assistant. During his second term, he joined the staff as an assistant coach with the running backs from 2004-05 before beginning work with the wide receivers and serving as the program’s recruiting coordinator for the 2006-07 seasons. He then added passing game coordinator duties in 2008 and served in that role for three seasons until his departure.

He also made stops at the University of Richmond, where he coached the defensive ends (2003) and wide receivers (2002), and Piqua High School in Ohio as the quarterbacks and defensive secondary coach (1998).
That hire makes too much sense. Still and up and comer who is cheap. No way Miami is that smart.

Advertisement
I had never heard of Kevin Johns

Kevin Johns joined the Blue Devil gridiron program in January 2022, and serves as the offensive coordinator. Johns also coaches Duke's quarterbacks.

Johns, who has over 10 years of experience as an offensive coordinator, comes to Durham after serving three seasons as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Memphis.

While there, Johns helped the Tigers earn three bowl invitations, including a 25-10 win over Florida Atlantic in the 2020 Montgomery Bowl. During each of his three seasons, Memphis was among the top five in the American Athletic Conference in scoring offense, including averaging 30.1 points this past season. The Tigers also finished last year second in the AAC in passing offense (298.8), third in offensive yards (435.8), third in first downs (22.5), and third in third down conversion percentage (71-of-174 for 40.8 percent).

In 2020, the Tigers finished the year 22nd in the nation in total offense (453.1) and ranked 17th in both passing offense (307.9) and first down offense (260). Memphis totaled five games with over 500 yards of total offense, including an impressive 703 total yards against Central Florida. During that game, the Tigers set a school-record, coming back from a 17-point deficit in the third quarter to earn the 50-49 win. The 703 total yards of offense were the fifth-most in Memphis history.

In his first season, Memphis ranked among the top 20 nationally in nine statistical categories: passing yards (7th), scoring offense (8th), passing yards/completion (9th), total offense (10th), first downs (10th), passing efficiency (10th), passing offense (17th), passing touchdowns (17th) and third down percentage (19th). The Tigers accumulated more than 500 yards of total offense seven times on the year, including 542 yards versus Big Ten foe Penn State in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic. That season, Johns mentored a 4,000-yard passer (Brady White), a 1,000-yard rusher (Kenneth Gainwell) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Damonte Coxie).

Throughout his three years, Johns coached nine players to 12 All-AAC honors, including two-time recipients in Calvin Austin III, Sean Dykes and Dylan Parham. He also mentored Gainwell and Tahj Washington to All-American accolades. Gainwell garnered FWAA-Shaun Alexander, AFCA, and Sporting News Freshman All-America nods in 2019, while being tabbed the FWAA and The American Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year. Washington earned FWAA Freshman All-America praise in 2020 after recording 43 receptions for 743 yards (17.3 avg) with six touchdowns.

Before Memphis, Johns spent the 2018 season as the offensive coordinator/inside wide receivers and tight ends coach at Texas Tech University. He guided a Red Raiders offense that ranked fourth in the country with 352.6 passing yards per game and 12th with 485.2 total yards per game. Texas Tech also averaged 37.3 points per game that season, which was the fourth-best mark in the Big 12.

Prior to that, Johns served a one-year stint as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at Western Michigan University in 2017. The Broncos ranked 25th in the country that year with 33.9 points per game and 21st with 224.8 rushing yards per game.

From 2011-16, Johns spent six years at Indiana, the final three as the program’s sole offensive coordinator. He also assisted with coaching the quarterbacks and wide receivers after arriving as a co-offensive coordinator in 2011. The Hoosiers rewrote 54 school records during Johns’ time there, including season marks for points, total yards, passing yards and rushing yards.

In 2015, Indiana had a 3,500-yard passer, two 1,000-yard rushers and a 1,000-yard receiver, en route to leading the Big Ten in scoring offense at 36.5 points per game. Two years prior, Indiana had five 1,000-yard receivers playing at the same time. One of them was Cody Latimer, who was one of eight NFL draftees during Johns’ time in Bloomington. Another one was Shane Wynn, who closed his career among the top four in multiple career categories at Indiana, including receptions (189), 250-yard games (13), 200-yard games (19), four-TD games (5) and all-purpose yards (4,429) before joining the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Johns served a second stint on staff at Northwestern University from 2004-10 in a variety of different roles after a three-year tenure from 1999-2001 as an offensive graduate assistant. During his second term, he joined the staff as an assistant coach with the running backs from 2004-05 before beginning work with the wide receivers and serving as the program’s recruiting coordinator for the 2006-07 seasons. He then added passing game coordinator duties in 2008 and served in that role for three seasons until his departure.

He also made stops at the University of Richmond, where he coached the defensive ends (2003) and wide receivers (2002), and Piqua High School in Ohio as the quarterbacks and defensive secondary coach (1998).
Not sure if I want to live in a world where we wait 3 months to poach Duke’s OC

That point of no return might be when Candle accepts the ND job if it is offered to him. ND is "reportedly" doing phone interviews this Wednesday. If they want Candle and he then goes for an in person interview he might announce the ND job by Friday. Hopefully Mario is at least doing preliminary interviews with his #2 and #3 targets.

He may be allowing time for Candle to at least hear ND's pitch as a courtesy. But I agree he should already have option 2 in mind to move quickly. Based on leaks thus far we seem to have an idea who those options are.

I do think, and I have heard this mentioned, that if Candle wants to bring his own wr coach, that might be an issue if Mario wants Coley on board.

And perhaps the worst part of it all is realizing Mikey Norvell has something cookin up there beyond just our game. As much as we hate to admit, FSU is making big moves right now. They’ll be ranked top 8 to start the year and if they don’t completely blow it… watch out. This place will be an Armageddon lol

FSU looks like they could be playoff contender in 2023. Not a legit NC contender. But a Washington or MSU or TCU type tram.

But with the way their recruiting is going, I don’t think Norvell survives 2026. Especially if Deion isn’t a disaster on the field at Colorado and keeps recruiting like he’s recruiting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
36bbebcc-47e0-4d36-842c-a87d9e57662d_text.gif

Advertisement
This is really getting ridiculous. Mario is completely overthinking this. I'm married to a Cuban and was saying how it's taking so **** long. She said it makes perfect sense because we (Cubans) overanalyze a lot of things. I'm Italian and we tend to just go head-on and worry about what happens later. You can imagine how it's going with our kitchen renovations. I've got like 35 different tile samples laid out for weeks. I love my Cubans this is in no way knocking them. If mods think it's disrespectful Sorry in advance.

Me too.

Aside from being a sound play caller and very good QB coach, I think Yost's cool, surfer dude personality would provide a nice balance to Mario's Great Santini shtick.
All these QBs
Herbert
Gabbert
Brad Smith
Jordan Love
Chase Daniel's...Rant and Rave about him.
Up-Tempo Offensive minded. Forget about FIU....Has very little to work with. Had the Nation's #1 Offense at Utah St. And his offenses at Missouri were unbelievably well balanced. You can go to YOUTUBE and see how he interacts with his players. Don't get me wrong, I wanted Mullen, and Frost as Plan B...but that ain't happening, so I'd be happy with Yost at this point.

This is really getting ridiculous. Mario is completely overthinking this. I'm married to a Cuban and was saying how it's taking so **** long. She said it makes perfect sense because we (Cubans) overanalyze a lot of things. I'm Italian and we tend to just go head-on and worry about what happens later. You can imagine how it's going with our kitchen renovations. I've got like 35 different tile samples laid out for weeks. I love my Cubans this is in no way knocking them. If mods think it's disrespectful Sorry in advance.
I'm Italian as well....I too tend to just go head on. Then worry about the Baked Ziti later....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back