The national Media Loses their Collective Minds...

This is what brought me into the fold in 1989. A 10 year old Cleveland, Ohio kid whose dad threw the remote control to before he left to run errands. I turned to the ND vs UM game and the announcers said that this big black man (like the men in my neighborhood and family) needed double digit tackles for the Canes to win. By the end he had 14, the first tackle of the game and the last. I got up and said, “this is my team”. I was in LOVE, the swagger and “us against the world” mantra and experience hit home. I could feel the jealousy and hate for the Canes. Joining my favorite “bad boy” teams the Georgetown Hoyas, LA Lakers and Chicago Bears (even though I love my Browns), but there is a clear pattern in those choices I made. All of those teams were Public Enemy #1 to the status quo and main stream sports media to varying degrees back then. That’s how I chose my teams in hindsight.

The article hits home for me. It’s why I’m here right now. U can’t make anyone like you. Because in this context you’ve done nothing to cause their disdain. There was never anything for the UM administration or BOT to correct in order to fit in. The only way to fit in was to Underfund and ignore the football program. People weren’t scared of us, they were jealous of us. Recently, Sandra Bullock appeared on Jimmy Kimmel and said that she told her adopted black son that he could not wear his hoodie a certain way because “people are scared” (of him or black people in general). She really thought she did and said the right thing but she truly placed those people as victims or someone whose feelings her son needs to be aware and accountable for. It was poor message even though her intentions were pure. They aren’t scared of her son, they are jealous of her son.

The only acceptable Canes team is a self-neutered one. We have to be unsuccessful in order to fit in. Subconsciously Success truly makes us a target and skin color is/was just the base level conscious stimuli of the hate.

It weirds me out when racial or political topics hit a thread and we have some Canes fans who share the same deflective, minimizing and trivializing talking points as those who they’d call racist. I come to learn that we didn’t all become Canes fans for the same reasons or motivations. I accept that.

Being a Canes fan is a very small peak microcosm into the experience of being “black” in America, *image wise*
I like the story.

But more than a little confused as to how the Lakers were ever a "bad boy" team. They seem the epitome of a pretty boy glamour team.

Advertisement
This is what brought me into the fold in 1989. A 10 year old Cleveland, Ohio kid whose dad threw the remote control to before he left to run errands. I turned to the ND vs UM game and the announcers said that this big black man (like the men in my neighborhood and family) needed double digit tackles for the Canes to win. By the end he had 14, the first tackle of the game and the last. I got up and said, “this is my team”. I was in LOVE, the swagger and “us against the world” mantra and experience hit home. I could feel the jealousy and hate for the Canes. Joining my favorite “bad boy” teams the Georgetown Hoyas, LA Lakers and Chicago Bears (even though I love my Browns), but there is a clear pattern in those choices I made. All of those teams were Public Enemy #1 to the status quo and main stream sports media to varying degrees back then. That’s how I chose my teams in hindsight.

The article hits home for me. It’s why I’m here right now. U can’t make anyone like you. Because in this context you’ve done nothing to cause their disdain. There was never anything for the UM administration or BOT to correct in order to fit in. The only way to fit in was to Underfund and ignore the football program. People weren’t scared of us, they were jealous of us. Recently, Sandra Bullock appeared on Jimmy Kimmel and said that she told her adopted black son that he could not wear his hoodie a certain way because “people are scared” (of him or black people in general). She really thought she did and said the right thing but she truly placed those people as victims or someone whose feelings her son needs to be aware and accountable for. It was poor message even though her intentions were pure. They aren’t scared of her son, they are jealous of her son.

The only acceptable Canes team is a self-neutered one. We have to be unsuccessful in order to fit in. Subconsciously Success truly makes us a target and skin color is/was just the base level conscious stimuli of the hate.

It weirds me out when racial or political topics hit a thread and we have some Canes fans who share the same deflective, minimizing and trivializing talking points as those who they’d call racist. I come to learn that we didn’t all become Canes fans for the same reasons or motivations. I accept that.

Being a Canes fan is a very small peak microcosm into the experience of being “black” in America, *image wise*
Bears - Dolphins. MNF. Marino da gawd. Sorry bro, lol.

another great article by Vish...

This is just another example of media inaccuracy. This stands out for people on this board because we follow the program closely and know why the spin about Miami is wrong. But to someone in New York or Texas who does not, they would take it as truth.

We have seen this happen before with Miami - in 2007 and in 2011. But more importantly, my question is this - if they can get something as basic as Miami wrong, what else is being reported inaccurately?

I remember the Herald doing a story about this, back in the late 80's. About how Miami represented black culture, and how the rest of CFB was frightened by it, and was why we were hated so much. I loved that we stuck it in the eye of the established powers that be.

Advertisement
I like the story.

But more than a little confused as to how the Lakers were ever a "bad boy" team. They seem the epitome of a pretty boy glamour team.
Their rivals were the Boston Celtics. I’m from the East Coast/Midwest. The national media loved and rooted for the Celtics from my vantage point. To the media the Celtics were the blue collar, gym rats, hard working, no style but all substance, cerebral guys you’d like your daughter to bring home.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So let me understand.
UM is considered to be in the wrong by some in the national media for using university money on a university program? How stupid. All of the money belongs to the university and it can choose to spend its lawfully earned money anyway it chooses. Imagine the uproar if athletics turns a profit and some of the profit is used to fund non-athletic programs. Oh yeah, no one would care because that is not a story.

If UM is wrong then please tell me how the following are right, and why no one seems to care about:
1. Texas universities using state oil money to fund athletic programs. Certainly this money would be better served being returned to the taxpayers of the state, and if it must be distributed to the universities, there must be better uses than athletics.
2. A non-profit organization in Texas using its money for NIL payments to linemen at Univ of Texas. Frankly, I am unsure if this is even legal for a non-profit, and if so, whether the donors to the non-profit can still claim a deduction.
3. Any state university using tax dollars to pay for athletic programs.

**** TOOK ME A WHILE TO READ THAT LONG MUTHA****A.U.CKA …… TO ALL OUR FANS SOMETHING I’VE THOUGHT FOR A LONG TIME ABOUT WHY THE REST OF THE COUNTRY HATES OUR SCHOOL SO BAD..

WE’RE THE ONLY SCHOOL THAT HAS BLACKS AND HISPANICS AND OTHER MINORITIES AS THE MAJORITY OF ITS FAN BASE. WE HAVE WHITE FANS OF COURSE ( Y’ALL EVER NEED THAT GOOD DM ME )

ITS LIKE A BLACK KID AND HISPANIC KID BOTH WITH GOLD TEEF JUST WALKED IN THE PARTY SOUTHERN REDNECK AND MIDWEST WEST COAST ALL WHITE PARTY WEARING BLACK AND BROWN IYKYK AND THEY DON’T WANT US THERE BUT THEY GOTTA LET US IN CAUSE THEY GOTTA…

IF I’M THAT KID UM FINA ACT HOW I FEEL DON’T GIVE NO FOCKS ABOUT HOW YOU BYTCH *** NYGGAS FEEL ABOUT MY SWAG YOU DON’T LIKE ME NO MATTER HOW I COME TO THE PARTY THE FACT THAT I’M EVEN HERE MAKES YOU UPSET SOOOOO F.U.CK YA BYTCH LEMME TURN UP THE VOLUME ON THIS SAUCE!!!!

And just like that poof the canes were back….

T-BULLET HERE FOR ALL THE FU.C.KERY
“Miami isn’t a school, it’s an ethos.

The reason we lash out at those that try to spit on us in an attempt to diminish this school is because you are not just attacking a football program, you are attacking a community, a prideful cross-section of every race, religion, and nationality coming together in the South Florida sun to cheer on our local kids, hoping they will succeed and lift up our community.”

This is just another example of media inaccuracy. This stands out for people on this board because we follow the program closely and know why the spin about Miami is wrong. But to someone in New York or Texas who does not, they would take it as truth.

We have seen this happen before with Miami - in 2007 and in 2011. But more importantly, my question is this - if they can get something as basic as Miami wrong, what else is being reported inaccurately?
to quote the late, great Marvin Gaye

"people say believe half of what you see, son
and none of what you hear"

Advertisement
We aren’t in the same position financially that we were 10 or even 5 years ago.

That being said, I agree this program has been run on the cheap forever.
We were in the position to pay $5 million a year to a head coach when we hired Golden, I assure you, and that wasn't the top of the mark at the time.

It requires boosters to step up to pay buyouts and those in the Admin to listen, neither of which was apparently happening.

I remember the Herald doing a story about this, back in the late 80's. About how Miami represented black culture, and how the rest of CFB was frightened by it, and was why we were hated so much. I loved that we stuck it in the eye of the established powers that be.
**** right, **** the good ole boys of CFB....

The haters were also jealous of the pure joy those teams played with...

Anytime someone on this earth does something with as much joy as those Miami teams did when they were kicking *** is gonna draw miserable ***** like moths to a flame...

Advertisement
Absolutely fantastic article! I cannot wait to fricking blow college football up again with The U. Go Canes!

So let me understand.
UM is considered to be in the wrong by some in the national media for using university money on a university program? How stupid. All of the money belongs to the university and it can choose to spend its lawfully earned money anyway it chooses. Imagine the uproar if athletics turns a profit and some of the profit is used to fund non-athletic programs. Oh yeah, no one would care because that is not a story.

If UM is wrong then please tell me how the following are right, and why no one seems to care about:
1. Texas universities using state oil money to fund athletic programs. Certainly this money would be better served being returned to the taxpayers of the state, and if it must be distributed to the universities, there must be better uses than athletics.
2. A non-profit organization in Texas using its money for NIL payments to linemen at Univ of Texas. Frankly, I am unsure if this is even legal for a non-profit, and if so, whether the donors to the non-profit can still claim a deduction.
3. Any state university using tax dollars to pay for athletic programs.
It's pure outrage theater and pearl-clutching virtue vomit

Great article by Vish, as usual.

The ironic part is the the great majority of the fake *** MSM that pretends to be all about “equality”, are really the biggest racists.

Advertisement
Back